Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malahide to Skerries

Options
  • 01-03-2010 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

I live in Malahide and may have a job opportunity in Skerries. Any idea how long roughly the drive would be, my hours will be 9-5 and have never (despite living here all my life :o) been up that way at all. Doesn't look far on the map but taking traffic in to consideration etc if anyone has an idea of how long it would take. I won't be able to check it out myself until the interview, will obviously give myself plenty of time but would be good to know a rough estimate too. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Once you get out of Malahide and onto the Swords by-pass 15 minutes. Its a Straight run and most traffic will be going the other way, towards Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

That's great Leo, thanks for that, good to know. Was hoping the worst traffic would be going in the other direction alright. Looking forward to finally seeing Skerries too when I get up there, have heard it's a nice place.

Michael B wrote: »
    Looking forward to finally seeing Skerries too when I get up there, have heard it's a nice place.

If you want to see a nice part of North County Dublin you will need to come through Rush;)

3 lovely beachs nice walks and really nice people:)

LeoB wrote: »
    If you want to see a nice part of North County Dublin you will need to come through Rush;)

3 lovely beachs nice walks and really nice people:)

lol I'll have to pay it a visit when I'm up that way. Actually have friends that have just recently moved to Rush so will have to check it out soon, they love living there, said the people are lovely (anywhere is an improvement on friendliness when you're from Malahide though ;))

Seriously Rush is a good place to live. I am heavily involved locally and the people are sound. Great clubs and ever improving facilities. Rush has improved steadily over the past few years and when the new library opens it will be another great boost for the town.

If your friends need any local help with clubs schools etc p.m me and I might be able to help.

Ah Skerries is not to bad I suppose, just a little local rivelary;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

If you live near the centre of Malahide, and were working near the centre of Skerries, have you looked at the train option?
    Station to station is very quick, but you will be travelling against the peak flow, so expect gaps in frequency, and plenty of seats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Rashers72 wrote: »
    If you live near the centre of Malahide, and were working near the centre of Skerries, have you looked at the train option?
    Station to station is very quick, but you will be travelling against the peak flow, so expect gaps in frequency, and plenty of seats!

+1, malahide to skerries on the train is the fastest option. Shouldnt be too expensive either, 3 stops

I'm next to Malahide station and the job isn't far from Skerries station and have looked in to it but unfortunately the 8.43 getting in to Skerries would be cutting it too tight for a 9am start, it's about a 15/20 minute walk so it wouldn't suit unfortunately. Same going back, if I missed the 5.16 train I'd have to wait over an hour for the next one. Pity, the train would have been great, thanks anyway guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Michael B wrote: »
    I'm next to Malahide station and the job isn't far from Skerries station and have looked in to it but unfortunately the 8.43 getting in to Skerries would be cutting it too tight for a 9am start, it's about a 15/20 minute walk so it wouldn't suit unfortunately. Same going back, if I missed the 5.16 train I'd have to wait over an hour for the next one. Pity, the train would have been great, thanks anyway guys.

Catch an earlier train & stop off in one of the many cafés for a coffee or go for an envigourating stroll on the beach before work. In the evening - maybe pop into Nealon's or Ollie's for a nice relaxing pint before your train home. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

For what it's worth I allow 25 minutes travelling from Skerries to my sisters house in Malahide by car. Could be up to 30 depending on where you're going to in skerries / coming from in malahide.

Also, for what it's worth: I opt to commute by train and walk despite it being longer than travelling by car because it's basically zero stress. I use the time to watch a bit of TV and get some light exercise (walking from train to oifig). Maybe when you've been with your employer a while you can talk to them about getting in 5 minutes late because of train times or whatever. Could be worth having a cheap 2nd hand bike at Skerries train station that gets you from the station to your job and back faster too.

• Advertisement

Thanks Khannie, I did it yesterday for the interview and it took me half an hour door to door so not bad at all. I got the position so I'm looking forward to working in Skerries, it looks like a lovely place. Real country feel about it and the people were very friendly. For now I'll drive, I actually find the drive more relaxing than I would the train to be honest but it's good to know the option is there in case I can't take the car some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Heartiest congratulations & the very best of luck in your new job.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Congrats. Skerries is actually a lovely town alright. I'm from Malahide originally myself but I love it there.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Khannie wrote: »
    Could be worth having a cheap 2nd hand bike at Skerries train station that gets you from the station to your job and back faster too.
    Or even cycle it all the way:) (it's only 20km or so)

Congratulations on the new job

Advertisement