Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House music in Galway...

Options
  • 01-03-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

What has happened to the state of the house music scene in Galway in recent years? I find the only place to get some good quality music around these parts is the cellar on a saturday night. Most of the time I have to go to London, Berlin etc for a really good quality night out. Its disgracefull! If I recall correctly a friend of mine once told me Nick Warren had a residency in the GPO, around ten or so years ago I think. Now what has happened??? Were going downhill and somebody should do something about it. Any ideas on where a good venue would be for a monthly night? And how would one go about setting it up with the pub/club?
    Discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Most Irish clubs should just fire their DJs, cut out the middle man and buy the latest Now album themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Cuba are running some decent nights, not necessarily house but not bad either check them out. Cellar is good on a Saturday night though, at least there's something on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Bar 903 are having this night friday. I've heard tommy finan play a few times and he prefers house aswell it seems so could be a good set to catch on Friday.

Link to the promo poster - http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs480.snc3/26285_379680540680_564615680_5360707_105832_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

I feel your pain OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Baloobas, Buggin' Out and Shake! all do house in their sets. I can guarantee at least one of them are playing somewhere in town this weekend. 903, Cellar, Kelly's, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Bring back the castle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

kayos wrote: »
    Bring back the castle!
    God no! i couldn't put my body through that again!

Apart from the Disconauts residency in the Cellar and their various pub sets i don't know of any other nights

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

The main reason is that there simply isn't enough people into House (or any specific genre) in Galway like there once was to make it worth while catering for every week like it was a few years ago. (that make sense?)

Trust me, the majority of punters are tone deaf and only want what the radio tells them they like. These are unfortunately the people you have to cater for if you intend to stay in business though and keep your job.

A big reason clubs like the GPO pulled certain nights back then was due to people bringing in their own disco chemicals and not spending money behind the bar.

Ask any of the DJs playing chart music in town if they actually like the music they're playing and 90%, including myself, will say they ****ing hate having to do it. But, for me anyway, it's my job and I have rent to pay etc, so I have to put the head down and hope the night goes by quickly.

Dublin has some excellent nights on (Trashed in Andrews lane Theater, Transmission in the button Factory) and its only like 2 and a bit hours away. Cork can also be worth a visit.

Nick Warren wasn't a resident in the GPO, he played twice there as a guest DJ. He also stole a record off me too, the GIT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

paulhannon wrote: »
    The main reason is that there simply isn't enough people into House (or any specific genre) in Galway like there once was to make it worth while catering for every week like it was a few years ago. (that make sense?)

Trust me, the majority of punters are tone deaf and only want what the radio tells them they like. These are unfortunately the people you have to cater for if you intend to stay in business though and keep your job.

A big reason clubs like the GPO pulled certain nights back then was due to people bringing in their own disco chemicals and not spending money behind the bar.

Ask any of the DJs playing chart music in town if they actually like the music they're playing and 90%, including myself, will say they ****ing hate having to do it. But, for me anyway, it's my job and I have rent to pay etc, so I have to put the head down and hope the night goes by quickly.

Dublin has some excellent nights on (Trashed in Andrews lane Theater, Transmission in the button Factory) and its only like 2 and a bit hours away. Cork can also be worth a visit.

Nick Warren wasn't a resident in the GPO, he played twice there as a guest DJ. He also stole a record off me too, the GIT!

:confused::confused::confused::confused: What are these

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

:confused::confused::confused::confused: What are these

:cool:ha ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Jaysus is there any sign of the sex kitchen to run a few nights this summer??

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=33317309181

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 lowerstate

paulhannon wrote: »

Exactly. We've run a house & techno night here since 2007, and when we've run more than one gig a month we've lost a lot of money, simply put. With Galway, you are pulling from the same pool of 200-300 people who are really into their music. Basically you can't expect everyone of those people to come out every weekend to the same place. Most you could hope for a (seriously) well promoted house night would be 150-200 once a month.

We started 3 years ago as Galway was going through a death patch of music, there was absolutely nothing on. Thankfully now things are better than they were, and there is actually quite a lot going on in the Galway house scene given its size.

The Disconauts are once a month in the Cellar and last year brought in the likes of Charles Webster, the Unabombers and Mark E. Last year we brought over Efdemin, Move D, Lusine, and Guillaume & The Coutu Dumonts amongst others. 110th St. are relatively frequent again also.

Down in the west you have the Blue Note with house music practically every Thu-Sat, and the Bierhaus too (which stays on the funkier side of house). Ger-Z, Rory Gaffney, The Commander, P Disconaut, Jamie (Underground Sounds), Tiddlerz, Lynam, Keith Disconaut & Sasha Von Toolen all play house regularly down the west.

Also Galway has suffered a venue loss of late with De Burgos closing down. And with the recent Government late-night-bar license charges any of the few remaining venues who remain open to a new night will probably want to know before their overheads are covered before letting you in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

house is pretty well catered for considering all of the above.techno of any sort on the other hand is non-existent unfortunately, so trips east have to be made as often as possible. Fair play to all the lads that continue to put on nights in galway. As someone who was previously (loosely) involved I know of all the headaches that do occur

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

ArraMusha wrote: »
    Jaysus is there any sign of the sex kitchen to run a few nights this summer??

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=33317309181

Im looking for a venue to do an old skool night for a while. Watch this space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

All good things must come to and end,

The music has stopped,
    the lights are on,
    the night is over,
    this disco is dead.

time to move on, all we have are the memories, happens all the time;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/54_(film))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

lowerstate wrote: »
    Exactly. We've run a house & techno night here since 2007, and when we've run more than one gig a month we've lost a lot of money, simply put. With Galway, you are pulling from the same pool of 200-300 people who are really into their music. Basically you can't expect everyone of those people to come out every weekend to the same place. Most you could hope for a (seriously) well promoted house night would be 150-200 once a month.

We started 3 years ago as Galway was going through a death patch of music, there was absolutely nothing on. Thankfully now things are better than they were, and there is actually quite a lot going on in the Galway house scene given its size.

The Disconauts are once a month in the Cellar and last year brought in the likes of Charles Webster, the Unabombers and Mark E. Last year we brought over Efdemin, Move D, Lusine, and Guillaume & The Coutu Dumonts amongst others. 110th St. are relatively frequent again also.

Down in the west you have the Blue Note with house music practically every Thu-Sat, and the Bierhaus too (which stays on the funkier side of house). Ger-Z, Rory Gaffney, The Commander, P Disconaut, Jamie (Underground Sounds), Tiddlerz, Lynam, Keith Disconaut & Sasha Von Toolen all play house regularly down the west.

Also Galway has suffered a venue loss of late with De Burgos closing down. And with the recent Government late-night-bar license charges any of the few remaining venues who remain open to a new night will probably want to know before their overheads are covered before letting you in the door.

Any chance of getting Henrik Schwarz? I'm pretty sure I could easily round up 50 people to go to one of his gigs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

[-0-] wrote: »
    Any chance of getting Henrik Schwarz? I'm pretty sure I could easily round up 50 people to go to one of his gigs. :)

Organise it then? It might be easier than you think. And if you're directly connected to the organising of it it'll be even easier to get those 50 along..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 lowerstate

We'd love to put Mr. Schwarz on, and we're not the only ones. He is mightily expensive though, but watch this space ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

DannyKing wrote: »
    If I recall correctly a friend of mine once told me Nick Warren had a residency in the GPO, around ten or so years ago I think. Now what has happened???

You recall incorrectly or else your friend is a liar, although he did play there on a night or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

lowerstate wrote: »
    We'd love to put Mr. Schwarz on, and we're not the only ones. He is mightily expensive though, but watch this space ;-)

Expensive for good reason though. :)

I'll keep an eye out. Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement