Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anxious about going back to college

Options
  • 01-03-2010 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

ok so i want to go back to college this september but i'm worried as i'll be a mature student at 26 i'm worried that i wont fit in or make friends,the reason i feel like this is because i went back to college two years ago but it didnt work out and i left eventhough i didnt want to i felt left out by my classmates who were all 18. Has anybody else felt like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭RachPie

Hey - I'm not a mature student, but I'm in a course where there are a few - despite the age difference we all get on great! Do not be afraid to do it if that's what you really want, the age is nothing to be honest. All of our class get on really well including the mature students, it's nice to have a maturer perspective on things too. Good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Immanuel_CAN

kat151283 wrote: »
    ok so i want to go back to college this september but i'm worried as i'll be a mature student at 26 i'm worried that i wont fit in or make friends,the reason i feel like this is because i went back to college two years ago but it didnt work out and i left eventhough i didnt want to i felt left out by my classmates who were all 18. Has anybody else felt like this?

Well you could consider doing a part time degree, the course I'm on at the moment has students ranging in age from early 20's to early 60's so dont let that hold you back, if you have an interest in the subject you intend to study and if you believe it will help you in the future just go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭looksee

When I went to college the other students were younger than my own children! I had no problems - I didn't go drinking with them, though they asked me :D and I didn't do mammy to them. Its actually probably easier with a big difference like that, but don't let the age difference bother you, its really better if you just see the other students as just that, students, rather than people younger than you.

You must have worked with people of different ages when you were employed, its not all that different.

Advertisement