Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moon Halo

Options
  • 01-03-2010 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,585 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone see the halo round the moon on - I think - saturday night last at around 11pm. Approx SSE. It was either Friday or Saturday. I have seen halos before but this one was eerie and spectacular. Absolutely huge and completely perfect, no interference from cloud etc, I had intentions of taking a photo, but discovered my camera battery was flat...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Is that the "ring" seen around the moon when the air tempature is particularly cold?? If so I saw one there back during the cold snap in Jan and took a photo of it.
    Can post it here if anyone's interested??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Is that the "ring" seen around the moon when the air tempature is particularly cold?? If so I saw one there back during the cold snap in Jan and took a photo of it.
    Can post it here if anyone's interested??

could you post it?? I'm not sure what you mean by a halo . . .???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Here's the photo I took at silly o'clock in the morning, when I looked out and saw the moon!!

moonphoto1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

looksee wrote: »
    Did anyone see the halo round the moon on - I think - saturday night last at around 11pm. Approx SSE. It was either Friday or Saturday. I have seen halos before but this one was eerie and spectacular. Absolutely huge and completely perfect, no interference from cloud etc, I had intentions of taking a photo, but discovered my camera battery was flat...
    Friday night/Saturday morning.
    I took couple snaps with my point and shoot and posted the pics over on IWN

• Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There was one around the moon last night too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Seen it tonight in west Donegal. Thought this only appeared during very cold spells :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

The 22 degree halo around the sun or moon occurs a lot more often than you would expect.
    I've averaged seeing it about once a fortnight over the past few years, but then again I pay attention and I look for the halos from ice crystals anytime there is a layer of cirrus or cirrostratus up there. Most people just don't look up, so they miss the very pretty sights that can be there for all to see.

As the local temperature where the cirrus clouds form is well below freezing even in the height of summer, it's not directly dependant on the local ground temperature. In winter though, the best halo weather does coincide with cold crisp conditions that in summertime means the sun lotion comes out..

Advertisement