Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone noticed themselves using loads of oil?

• 01-03-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone else has gone through their home heating oil really fast over the Winter? We got 530L on 02 Dec, and i just noticed today that we've run out, which I'm really surprised about. This is my second year living in this house, and our oil seemed to last much longer last Winter. I know this Winter has been really cold, but we have actually had our heating on a bit less, (last year had housemate who'd have it on all feking night, til 12 at night sometimes). So this year he's gone and we're being a bit more careful. although of course with our weather this Winter, we've let if stay on a wee bit longer on a few occasions.

Anyone else notice the same?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭secman

I'm on my second 1000 litre since last week, temps have been in single digits for almost last 10/12 weeks. Delivery man told me that they are flat out since 1st Jan, working saturdays again, that was cut out a lot last year.

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

On second 1000ltrs fill since 3 weeks ago. Its a combination of starting to use it earlier in the season than previously, different folks in the house this year tending to use it less economically and the january cold spell - had no choice then but to leave it on longer...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Think about it this way if you boil a kettle of cold water it takes 4 minutes to boil, if you then try to boil the same kettle after letting cool for 20 minutes it won't take anywhere near as long, it takes less energy to heat up as the water is still warm so smaller temperature difference.

The same with heating, if its cold it will take more oil to heat up house to normal temperature then if its not as cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Sin1981 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone else has gone through their home heating oil really fast over the Winter? We got 530L on 02 Dec, and i just noticed today that we've run out, which I'm really surprised about. This is my second year living in this house, and our oil seemed to last much longer last Winter. I know this Winter has been really cold, but we have actually had our heating on a bit less, (last year had housemate who'd have it on all feking night, til 12 at night sometimes). So this year he's gone and we're being a bit more careful. although of course with our weather this Winter, we've let if stay on a wee bit longer on a few occasions.

Anyone else notice the same?

When you say, had the heating on less, how many hours a day is it turned on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,617 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think you did ok to get 3 months out of half a tank, given how cold the winter has been and it was over Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Im using a 70 litres a week
    Heating s going on at 6.30 in the morning and going of at 9.30 in the evening
    not to bad i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭talla10

How secure is your oil tank in garden??It may be possible some criminals are helping tehmselves...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 escapethematrix

I went throuh 500 litres in 5 weeks from January... I was shocked!! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭neeb

We are using lots of gas. You probably have thermostats so even if the heat is "on" for 4 hours is actually on much less when its warmer than during a cold spell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

I came across a product called Dipetane which is supposed to help use less liquid fuel.

It certainly helps me to get more miles to the tank than before (diesel Ford Transit van).

I'm not too sure of the exact extra milage I get but I have saved meself a whole lot of money by using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

S.L.F wrote: »
    I came across a product called Dipetane which is supposed to help use less liquid fuel.

It certainly helps me to get more miles to the tank than before (diesel Ford Transit van).

I'm not too sure of the exact extra milage I get but I have saved meself a whole lot of money by using it.

:D LOL :D
    this thread is about home heating oil ;)

And yes of course we were using more - it was feecking freezing outside.

dh0661 wrote: »
    :D LOL :D
    this thread is about home heating oil ;)

And yes of course we were using more - it was feecking freezing outside.

Thanks for that dh but my point was that you'll use less of it if you used this stuff.

I have gas heating so it's no use for my heating bills but if I had oil heating I'd use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Thanks for that dh but my point was that you'll use less of it if you used this stuff.

Are you 99.99% sure about this?

dh0661 wrote: »
    Are you 99.99% sure about this?

Not 99.99%, 100% would be closer.

Try it in anything that uses liquid fuel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

I got 1,000 litres in mid nov and my heating was on 24 / 7, i am stuck in the house all day.

from midnight to 4pm ish at 15C, then 20C for the evening.

I ran out on last wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Not 99.99%, 100% would be closer.

Try it in anything that uses liquid fuel
    Had never heard of this before. Any idea on price slf? Do you use it yourself? If your average heating oil tank takes 1000 ltrs., how much of this stuff do you need to bung in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

2100 sq/ft detached 2 storey, 9" cavity non insulated.

Have used ~ 800l since last November, heating on 17:30 - 23:00 M-F, on demand at the weekends. Consumption has decreased by ~ 40% since we installed a condenser boiler.

One of the few machines that will actually do what it claims. Paid for itself in less than two years, unlike the 15 year payback on solar etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

Fishtits wrote: »
    2100 sq/ft detached 2 storey, 9" cavity non insulated.

Have used ~ 800l since last November, heating on 17:30 - 23:00 M-F, on demand at the weekends. Consumption has decreased by ~ 40% since we installed a condenser boiler.

One of the few machines that will actually do what it claims. Paid for itself in less than two years, unlike the 15 year payback on solar etc.

How much all up for that boiler?

Advertisement