Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help me....

Options
  • 01-03-2010 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, long time boards member here, going unregged because I'll be known if I say too much.

I just wanted to see what people think out there, because I'm very unhappy,but I'm receiving a lot of conflicting advice. I'm 26, and in a high, HIGH pressure job that I cannot remain in long term. Without getting into details, it's not feasible for a woman to stay in my job as a career - I got into it after graduating, slightly by accident and slightly because I thought it would be good experience. I now want to leave, in an industry that's gone bust.

I have a good degree, and would be interested in a number of different options - getting another job if possible (proving very difficult), going back to college to retrain - well do a masters, or emigrating (last ditch option). I own a house and have to keep the bills paid.

So, from talking around, most of my age group are of the opinion that if I can get out of what I do, then go for it.If there's a possibility of redundancy, take it, because what's the point in being miserable in a job but staying there because it's a job? On the other hand the older generation (parents, relatives etc), are adamantly against doing anything that might jeopardise my current job - stay put, don't move, it's a job, it pays the bills.

I want to know what people out there think. I work a min of 10 hours a day, non-stop, with a lot of responsibility.I'm reasonably well-paid, although I've taken a paycut this year. I get no thanks, and nothing but abuse. I'm so tired every evening I don't know what I'm doing, and I'm finding it harder and harder to get up every morning....it's getting to the stage where I want to cry everyday. I'm barely holding my temper in most days, and worse, I want to snap the head off my boss every time I see him (never a good thing!). I actually dream about handing in my notice.

Am I mad? Would I be mad to just throw it all in and maybe find myself again underneath the tired, anxious mess that I've become? Or should I just stick with it (indefinitely) until the "recession is over", because, well, it's a job.

Sorry about the long post, but does anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

sotired wrote: »
    I'm 26, and in a high, HIGH pressure job that I cannot remain in long term.

I work a min of 10 hours a day, non-stop, with a lot of responsibility.

It's getting to the stage where I want to cry everyday.
    IMO, you sound like you're going to burn out. A job is nice to have, but when it starts to have a bad effect on your health, it's time to do some serious thought on an escape plan. Would you take a pay-cut if it meant less stress? If yes, go looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

Well its simple really. This job is eventually going to make you go mental so you HAVE to leave, and if your not too fussy you will find a job somewhere to keep you going until you find something else. Things will work out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yes that would be my thinking on it. I was just wondering because, I don't know, I guess people who have already lived through a recession are so certain that a job's a job...I was just wondering is it naivety or something on the part of myself and my own age group to think that a job is not a job if it's driving you insane.

Honestly I'd serve coffee all day at this stage, just to get me away from this.Obviously I've a mortgage to think of, but it's not as bad as some people's. I'm trying to find something else, but as you all know, it's hard. There may be a possibility of a voluntary redundancy in the near future...I know that's something most people would run a mile from in these days, but it would nearly be a welcome relief to me at this stage, even just for a brief time.

Advertisement