Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

use of flashcards

Options
  • 01-03-2010 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

How do you guys use flash cards?
    I want to use them for economics. Would it be better to stick to just writing the definition of the thing eg economic good or is it better to include a little bit of info along with the definition eg. include characteristics of an economic good
    thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

How do you guys use flash cards?
    I want to use them for economics. Would it be better to stick to just writing the definition of the thing eg economic good or is it better to include a little bit of info along with the definition eg. include characteristics of an economic good
    thanks!

For economics, I take the flashcard, write the thing to be defined on the front (eg, "economic good") and the definition on the back. Usually you fit 3 or 4 onto a small card. I think it's better that way because you don't see the definition straight away, or have to cover it to give yourself a chance to answer.
    For definitions, stick to the definition in the back of your book or in your notes.
    And FYI, the definition of an economic good is basically a re-wording of its characteristics. ;)

For things like History, I find flashcards really useful for summarising my more detailed notes. Just words or short sentences should trigger your memory of the more detailed stuff. They're very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stevenfinnegan

Flashcards are really useful....for most subjects really!:)
    E.g I use Flashcards for Irish and German oral notes. I write the topic (e.g. Mé Féin) at the top and then for the rest of the card I would just start writing about myself, family etc. They are very effective for orals I think.
    I'm going to start doing it for most of my subjects where possible.
    It's a great way of studying.

So answering your question....I would write the definition and then short and briefly describe the characteristics/ benefits or whatever it is about the topic (in your own words:D).
    Flashcards can be used for most subjects, so you should find them pretty useful!
    Steven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

I've been considering the use of flashcards for a while myself but what material do you use to make them? Do you just get cardboard-like material and cut them into smaller pieces or just use the whole piece?

H2student wrote: »
    I've been considering the use of flashcards for a while myself but what material do you use to make them? Do you just get cardboard-like material and cut them into smaller pieces or just use the whole piece?

You could do that if you want to, but I tend to find it easier to buy them in the shop. :b
    They're called flashcards, index cards, record cards, anything like that. They cost (usually) a few euro for 100. Check your local stationery shop. Could be easier than cutting up Cornflakes' boxes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

When i use flashcards, I write question one side, anwser on the other.

Few key questions per topic.

or in french i write the english on one side and the french on the other,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Where can I get flash cards? Like the little portable mini ones? I hear flash cards are great for study as you can look at them any time, just handy in your pocket colour coded per subject and you can just look at them when you are on the bus or something helpful for remembering things...I just need to know where I can get them? Like i imagine they would be great for history time lines, geography and definately french!

Or maybe Im being stupid and I could just cut a bit of card at home? Or maybe thats too much hastle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭hatethisfeeling

you can get them in any stationary shop

fufureida wrote: »
    Where can I get flash cards? Like the little portable mini ones? I hear flash cards are great for study as you can look at them any time, just handy in your pocket colour coded per subject and you can just look at them when you are on the bus or something helpful for remembering things...I just need to know where I can get them? Like i imagine they would be great for history time lines, geography and definately french!

Or maybe Im being stupid and I could just cut a bit of card at home? Or maybe thats too much hastle...

Stationery or office supplies shop is a safe bet.Eason's, Tesco, or your local supermarket should have them too.
    They'll at least have plain white ones if they don't have coloured.
    They're really very easy to get guys, check the shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

thanks man, Imma have a look.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Very easy to get, come in a few different sizes.

The way I used to use them was for the Irish oral, I had a topic and all the key words I needed. Same for essays. Used them for geography the same way, topic with a load of key words. For maths I had the formulas on them that I needed. English, had a card per poem with the key words.

I know some people prefer to write out a lot on the cards, but I think they are better used by just having key words. When I was studying before the exam, I used the flash cards plus my notes, then right before the exam I could just have the flash cards to make sure I had the key words per topic

• Advertisement
Advertisement