Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if you could go back in time...

Options
  • 01-03-2010 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

to fifth year...what if anything would you do differently?
    Im just wondering because Im in fifth year now and I dont know if I should be studying like mad to make next year easier or just enjoy it since next year will be so tough.
    For those of you who have been where I am now, what tips would you give or what things that you did in fifth year helped you out now that your in sixth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

I would'nt advice you to do study as such, but definitely do all the homework for every subject and it would'nt hurt to do some extra reading for subjects like History and English.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Im just wondering because Im in fifth year now and I dont know if I should be studying like mad to make next year easier or just enjoy it since next year will be so tough.
    Neither. Aim for a balance, get your work done, maybe try to do a bit extra on your weak subjects, but don't "peak too soon" as they say in sports ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'd say to enjoy the year, go out when you can and enjoy yourself. Don't go overboard though! Relax into studying and don't over work yourself. Do all of you're homework and actually study for little class tests because you'll end up wishing you had when it comes to the bigger ones. Organise your notes and get used to writing timetables, it'll come in handy next year. My two cents anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Neither. Aim for a balance, get your work done, maybe try to do a bit extra on your weak subjects, but don't "peak too soon" as they say in sports ...

They say that in the bedroom as well.

>_>

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

One thing that I would have liked to have done a bit more was pay attention to Irish. I'm not really struggling at it now, but I would have prefered to have paid attention while we were doing the prose in particular, it makes it a lot easier when you fully know how the storyline goes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

No, if I could go back in time to fifth year, I wouldn't change things. Do your homework, keep up with classwork, make sure you understand the basics. That should do you well enough (unless you're particularly weak at something; then as someone as suggested, you might want to give it some extra time).

I do however wish a lot of the time that I could go back to sixth year. When they say you need to study for the Leaving, they actually mean it. Sadly I didn't cop on in time (ie, I didn't cop on until I sat down to English Paper One) and now here I am, doing the whole thing again. T'aint very fun. Not the worst, but definitely not the best. Use your time wisely, my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Enjoy your year but work like hell for Maths,Irish and what ever other language you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Jako8 wrote: »
    They say that in the bedroom as well.

>_>
    Not to me! :p

I thought about it all right, I was trying to avoid lowering the tone! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

just keep on top of the work really and enjoy it.. it will fly! cant believe its March already..:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Something i never did but i think would of been great to.
    If you get exam papers and practice sections as you cover them in class, get you used to the actual leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

I think with subjects like languages, you really need as much time as possible gathering vocab and going over grammar. So Irish, French, German, etc... id put a lot of work into those from very early on.
    Subjects like Maths, and any of the sciences, Id just do the homework and get by. Exam techniques and past answer style familiarity are the keys there.
    I think one regret I would have would be not doing more subjects and then having the option of dropping the ones I felt least comfortable with at the end of 5th year.
    I certainly wouldnt be killing myself with hours of study. Plenty of that ahead of u in 6th year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭BrokenHeels_Ox

honestly, i wish i had of worked, or even gone to school in fifth year. Everything I didnt do last year is creeping up on me, and because I wasnt around I dont understand half of it! This is what to do:

-Get 7 copies (or whatever number of subjects u do)
    -They will be "study copies"
    -Everytime you finish a chapter in a book, write notes.(its kinda like making your own revision book)
    -Do questions on these chapters (preferably exam questions if u can, http://www.examinations.ie has them all!)
    -When you get to sixth year and you start your revision, it will make things alot easier, that u already have your own notes, and have done the questions, chances are u will understand it.

My leaving cert is in 99 days, and I am only starting now, I wish I had of done this is fifth year, listen to your teachers, although they are not always right, they are right when they tell you to start in fifth year, its a two year course, there is a reason for this.
    Although you're probably gonna laugh when I say this, use your three months off for the summer WISELY! I'm not saying study all day everyday, nothing of the sort, CATCH UP ON THE WORK FROM FIFTH YEAR, that way you go into sixth year, starting where your teachers left off, not still at the start line. I'm pleading with you NOT to let yourself fall into my position, Its awful, I've already set myself up for repeating and failure, do not let this be you.

Advertisement