Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CompTia A+ Hsi Limerick

Options
  • 01-03-2010 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

i have just started this course in hsi in Limerick im 3 weeks in now and find it very interesting. has anyone done this with hsi. how hard are the exams. 701 & 702 i have been around computers all my life just came naturally to me i suppose, i worked in dell for 10years and can easily take apart a computer and put it back together again i did Pc Maintenince with fas before i did this and am eager to learn about it. think my future is in I.T. the book were using is CompTIA A+ Certification: Essentials, 2009 ILT Series(white cover book) can anyone recomended beside the book im using whats good to practice with.. there are so many books on the subject and some many example questions online. hard to tell where to start. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭customPC

Hi there, unfortuneately noone replied to you but i am curious to know how the course progressed for you. If you have the time i would like to hear about it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭AustinByrnes

hi,

i have since finished the course and taking the exams. i have passed the exams. so im A+ certified now. i found the course with hsi very well presented. i decided to fo it with hsi because its a classroom based rather than doing it with say pitman traning, were you go into a classroom and put earphones on and learn it through video tutorials.

there is alot to be said from learning a subject this way. the trainer tristain was very helpful with any questions u may have had if there was a topic or a chapter you wanted to go over again he was glad to do it. and it was very hands on in the sense we all got computers to take apart or add ram,change hard drives, install new power supplys. and install our own peer to peer network.

if your interested in doing this course and u can afford it than i highly recommend H.S.I.

i have some exam materials that helped me pass the exams your welcome to them if you want i can send them on by mail.. just pm me if you want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 richie165

Hi Austin , congrats on passing the A+. I was thinking about doing it myself in the next couple of months and was just wondering if you found any good books in the end. I'm not sure if i'll be doing a course, think i'm just going to sit the test. Currently i'm doing a computer maintenence and networking course with FAS and there is alot of rebuilding computers and setting up networks with peer to peer and domain controllers etc. What do you think about just sitting the test?? Any info or books you could recommend would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

I have this qualification too, its a good one to get even if your remotely interested in some of the finer workings of PCs.

Did you get the workshop in your course of PC building? Is the minimum exam pass rate still 80%

Well done on getting yours anyways OP

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭AustinByrnes

richie165,

in answer to your question apart from the books used in the course i would suggest the mike myers book:

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Certification-Seventh-220-701-220-702/dp/0071701338/ref=dp_cp_ob_b_title_2/186-1994288-7879361

besides that i would suggest Professer Messer Video Training

http://www.professormesser.com/free-a-plus-training/220-701/professor-messers-free-220-70x-comptia-a-training-course.

if you decide not to do a course these 2 training methods are really good. also once you read the book and watch the videos i would suggest doing some practice questions.

i have a set of 2009 questions both in pdf

1st pdf is 701 questions and has 852 questions
    2nd pdf is 702 has 610 questions.

i personally got about 60 questions from 701 pdf in my actually exam and same for 702. word for word. some people just rely on these to pass the test and you could do that i suppose but i think its better to understand why the answer is correct rather then just memorise it.

i personally used a test engine called: http://www.visualcertexam.com/

this in my opinion is as realistic to the actually exam has you can get you just import either pdf and you start taking practice exams. i will gladly pass these pdf's on to you if ya like. pm me if ya want. best of luck in whatever you decide.

on a final note if your interested in doing this than i suggest you try and get A+ certified before the end of the year because if you pass the test before december 31st 2010 than your certified for life. take the test anytime after that and you will have to retake the test every 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 richie165

Hi Austin,
    Thanks for the links, i had a quick look at professor messers videos, they seem really good. Will definitely use them to help prepare. Didn't realise that they'd put a deadline on the exams, i'll have to get a move on with it, thanks for the heads up. If you could pass on the pdf's that would be great, i'll take all the help I can get, i'll pm you with my email address.

Thanks again

Advertisement