Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does Microsoft have a sleeper agent in Sony? PS3 error 8001050F conspiracy thread

• 01-03-2010 10:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Ok well i don't really believe in a conspiracy but what are your opinions on the Ps3 failing (temporarily).

Like with God Of War around the corner and Heavy Rain just released what do you think about this latest upset.

Is it Y2K, has skynet become active? Is this the end for Ps3 Phattie Users.

Thoughts and opinions ho!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Possibly the ingenious work of our very own Sam Fisher, getting some practice in before Splinter Cell Conviction perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

No, I think Sony just f**ked up. Plain and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The last Microsoft sleeper agent just catalogued discrepancies in DVD drive firmware and ended up getting 600,000+ consoles banned ...but no, Microsoft would never do anything like that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The last Microsoft sleeper agent just catalogued discrepancies in DVD drive firmware and ended up getting 600,000+ consoles banned ...but no, Microsoft would never do anything like that :D

At least the good folks Microsoft lets you play offline on your banned console :D;););) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

rizzla wrote: »
    No, I think Sony just f**ked up. Plain and simple.

same as

• Advertisement

we'll see at 12am whether the problem is fixed, mates ps3 is offline. He won't be happy if he has to buy a new 'slim' after having to fork out for a new blu ray drive for his 'phat'....

Its funny but the Ps3 has an option to hook up to a network that uses combined cell technology from all Ps3 users that volunteer their Ps3 for research into medicines and other scientific processes....

imagine if the Ps3 became aware......

Employee 'em sir i think we have a problem, they're becoming self aware....arrrgh'

Mr Sony 'Cut the hardline!!!! Cut it now'.

We'd only have King Pete Molyneux and The Natal to save us from the oncoming Armageddon.

well its back......but for how long........?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

so was this sonys version of the banhammer lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

well its back......but for how long........?

4 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Apparently this was caused by the PS3 original models not being programmed properly for a leap year or something? Sounds like balls to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

4 years.
    2 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It is actually 4 unless they fix it. 2012 is a real leap year so it will be fine. The problem was that the older PS3s thought this was a leap year causing the issue.

It seems that the older PS3s work out leap years by even numbers instead of multiples of 4. It happened in 2008 but it was a leap year and so OK. In 2006 there wasn't many PS3s around, there was no trophys so single player would work ok, it would have been just PSN that was down for a day instead.

If they don't fix it all the madness will happen again in 2014. Because they will go to 29/02/14 which is a date that cannot exist like what happened yesterday, 29/02/10 so they reverted back to 31/12/99 or 01/01/00 as a safe guard but seeing as PSN or the PS3s didn't actually exist then the PSN servers and the trophy support drew a blank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

It is actually 4 unless they fix it. 2012 is a real leap year so it will be fine. The problem was that the older PS3s thought this was a leap year causing the issue.

It seems that the older PS3s work out leap years by even numbers instead of multiples of 4. It happened in 2008 but it was a leap year and so OK. In 2006 there wasn't many PS3s around, there was no trophys so single player would work ok, it would have been just PSN that was down for a day instead.

If they don't fix it all the madness will happen again in 2014. Because they will go to 29/02/14 which is a date that cannot exist like what happened yesterday, 29/02/10 so they reverted back to 31/12/99 or 01/01/00 as a safe guard but seeing as PSN or the PS3s didn't actually exist then the PSN servers and the trophy support drew a blank.

Or in other words...XBox Live Rules Ok!

Sorry, cheeky I know! :D

Enigma IE wrote: »
    2 years!

...pedant :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Did they actually fix it, or did they just wait for he next day and the problem to go away?

robinph wrote: »
    Did they actually fix it, or did they just wait for he next day and the problem to go away?

Waited until today. There wasn't much they could do realistically. I imagine the next firmware update will ensure this doesn't happen again.

Things go wrong, I will accept that. But my god they could have handled it better, and possibly offer users something for their troubles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Free game or PSN points would be nice like what MS did when XBL went down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Waited until today. There wasn't much they could do realistically. I imagine the next firmware update will ensure this doesn't happen again.

Things go wrong, I will accept that. But my god they could have handled it better, and possibly offer users something for their troubles.

Which makes it a bit rich for them to be claiming that they fixed anything. They just sat around for a bit and then it started working again, but they are trying to make out that their some kind of superhero updated patch coders in getting a fix out the same day.

The story should be "PS3's didn't work on the 1st March, they do today".

So is anybody gonna purchase a slim any time soon, what game release is making you go double agent?

Personally God Of War 3, played GOW chains of olympus and i'm thinking if they can do gameplay/graphics that with the PSP essentially being a lesser version of Ps2 i can't wait to play the High Def versions of GOW 1 and 2 before moving on to the feast of GOW 3.

• Advertisement

So is anybody gonna purchase a slim any time soon, what game release is making you go double agent?

Personally God Of War 3, played GOW chains of olympus and i'm thinking if they can do gameplay/graphics that with the PSP essentially being a lesser version of Ps2 i can't wait to play the High Def versions of GOW 1 and 2 before moving on to the feast of GOW 3.

Already grabbed myself a 60Gb before they went off market. I still play the PS2 Ace Combat and MGS games so I wanted the abilities of the "phat" 60Gb . Its good for the exclusives, GOW1&2 HD, Uncharted 1&2, MGS4, LBP, Heavy Rain, KZ2 and now GOW3.

Everything else though is 360 all the way cause I hate the Dual Shock 3, too uncomfortable to use for any length of time with my hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Already grabbed myself a 60Gb before they went off market. I still play the PS2 Ace Combat and MGS games so I wanted the abilities of the "phat" 60Gb . Its good for the exclusives, GOW1&2 HD, Uncharted 1&2, MGS4, LBP, Heavy Rain, KZ2 and now GOW3.

Everything else though is 360 all the way cause I hate the Dual Shock 3, too uncomfortable to use for any length of time with my hands.
    I really wish people would stop saying GoW3 for god of war! It still mean Gears of War to me! :mad: :( I got really excited when I seen news about GoW3 collectors edition and it was only god of war :o

I, like most use GoW for Gears of War and GOW for God of War. Yes it makes no sense but most websites use that system.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I, like most use GoW for Gears of War and GOW for God of War. Yes it makes no sense but most websites use that system.

That's no a system at all. I will never ever accept that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Its GOW for God of War and GeOW for Gears. God of War came out first so that gets the acronym.

This is the Xbox forum so any combination of O W and G, in any order means Gears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

But we are talking about a Playstation issue here. Also, I have seen GeOW used in multi-format discussion here on boards, so it seems to be the norm but I guess context plays a part.

Anyway, back on topic, thankfully I didn't have this issue as a own a Slim. /smooches Slim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Sounds very odd to me that they're blaming it on a leap year calculation. Why weren't the slims affected? Do the slims run different firmware? If so, then they must have been aware that there was a problem with the phat firmware, and also it means that when you connect to PSN they detect which hardware you have and issue a firmware update based on what's found, rather than just one single firmware update for all hardware.
    If they were aware that the problem existed, why didn't they update the phat firmware before 28th Feb?

Its not the firm ware as such. It was the BIOS flash that was installed on the chipset. The PS3 are on their 3rd chipset revision. The newer ones clearly have a more up to date BIOS on the chip.

The firmware just adds features to the XMB OS and does not change or update the BIOS which need to be flashed to be updated, much like a PC.

They do release just 1 firmware for all PS3s as they all use the same OS.

When my PS3 started working again yesterday, it thought it was 1/3/10, I had to sync it through PSN to get the correct date to show.

So it added its own extra day that didn't exist. It is very clearly an error in the leap year calculation algorithm used in the older BIOS chips that does not seem to be in the code of the newer ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Its not the firm ware as such. It was the BIOS flash that was installed on the chipset. The PS3 are on their 3rd chipset revision. The newer ones clearly have a more up to date BIOS on the chip.

The firmware just adds features to the XMB OS and does not change or update the BIOS which need to be flashed to be updated, much like a PC.

They do release just 1 firmware for all PS3s as they all use the same OS.

When my PS3 started working again yesterday, it thought it was 1/3/10, I had to sync it through PSN to get the correct date to show.

So it added its own extra day that didn't exist. It is very clearly an error in the leap year calculation algorithm used in the older BIOS chips that does not seem to be in the code of the newer ones.

So will it happen every 4 years from now on?

Advertisement