Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or is...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Once the mutual trust starts getting eaten away, it's a downhill journey into the chasm of despair.:(

Link or GTFO.

And in other news;

I got a new chainsaw! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

You can tell it's turning into a news site when someone comes up with a blatantly true off the wall story, and some people actually have the gall to ask for a link to prove it:mad:

Once the mutual trust starts getting eaten away, it's a downhill journey into the chasm of despair.:(

Its certainly a sad day for humanity when you can't trust a random stranger off the internet to be telling the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Link or GTFO.
    :(

I got a new chainsaw! :D

Can I borrow it please, I've got an urgent job to do in Melbourne?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

:(

I'm actually made of diamond so your puny chainsaw is useless against me. Don't ask me to link you, it's on the interweb somewhere.

• Advertisement

It's great! I've cut 26 chains already. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Doyler92 wrote: »
    But now informative threads seem to be appearing quite a bit more.

Jeez, we can't be having that. :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

But now informative threads seem to be appearing quite a bit more.

Very sorry OP, what would you rather we have threads on?
    If you don't tell us we'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

gewan doyler, voicing ur opinions and whatnot!
    Well someone has to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭BrokenHeels_Ox

Well someone has to do it.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

More people want serious-lite, I guess.

It's less intimidating to road-test your thoughts on the universe amongst a captive audience of the "lowest common denominator" than in the grown-up forums where you might have to back it up what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

What exactly is the 'topic' of AH anyway? I've always seen it as a random list of threads that don't really fit anywhere else or wouldn't be tolerated in other forums.
    m@cc@ wrote: »
    'All things non-work related.'

So, the OP's concerns are null and void since the news is non-work related. Well, unless the majority of us work for the news media. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

I am at work!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

According to a poll recently taken by rte, 90% per cent of boards users think after hours is turning into a news section:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

After Hours becoming somewhat a news forum nowadays?

Many of the posters here won't know me but I'm quite a lurker alright.

It's just now anytime I come to AH for my daily laugh I get hit with threads such as "Chile gets hit by 8.8 earthquake" and "Tommy's Blanchardstown closes down"

If I wanted to know these I'd be going to the forums they suit, not here!

It's only become a recent thing in my opinion that all these news items are appearing one-by-one in AH.

Is it just me or do others feel this way also?

Its just you.

Did ya hear the Maccelfield manager died.
    Only messin definitely a news forum

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

Charco wrote: »
    The thing is that in AH you could have the most serious, solemn topic imaginable, within 3 posts there would be someone making crappy puns and by the end of the first page the topic will inevitably have moved on to the weight issues of Mary Harney. No matter how erudite and serious the OP is, the lowest common denominator that is AH always seeps through.

Pun-ishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I think serious topics work on AH - some great debates can get going. And the humour can work really well too - nothing wrong with a well-timed, sharp, satirical one-liner, often it can be brilliant, and Politics/Humanities don't allow for this. And fair enough.

The one type of thread I don't understand though is the "Here is an horrific story about child abuse. Please line up to express your outrage" one. No discussion, just an invitation to post words when there pretty much AREN'T words...

Nothing wrong with bringing up news stories, funny news, happy news, sad news & stark raving bonkers news!

Surly it's better than toilet threads with details of klingon collections etc

If you don't like the "live" threads, just start one about something you want to discuss. ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I never really got what was so wrong with the toilet threads. Some of them were hilarious. A little vetting rather than a blanket rule on threads of a more base nature might yield interesting results.
    For example the bulmers pear thread...

I never really got what was so wrong with the toilet threads. Some of them were hilarious. A little vetting rather than a blanket rule on threads of a more base nature might yield interesting results.

Yes, I would agree with that! just have it limited to one b(l)ogroll thread.

The Bulmers pear thread, wasn't really intended as a toilet thread, it just flowed (or was that squirted) that way. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

Scutters or scuttered?

Advertisement