Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance For France

Options
  • 01-03-2010 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Health Insurance for France
    I am retiring early to live in France and I am finding very hard to get some info about what health insurance I will need is there anyone out there
    than can help me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Hi Chris,

Normally, part of your health insurance is covered by your social security and the rest is covered by private health insurance ("mutuelle") which is paid for by your workplace or you pay yourself.

I'm not sure how the social security works for retired people who haven't worked in France.

Anyway, this is a forum I found useful when I moved to france, and there are a lot of retired people on it, so they could give you the relevant info.

http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/france/index.php?sid=ec528303774e18707b92069b1c8ae20e

Hope that helps and good luck with your move!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 boxers

Hi,
    If you're under state retirement age you can apply for a form called E106 (from Ireland). This would give you the same health cover as a French person (generally 70% cover). The balance you either pay yourself or you take out a 'mutuelle' insurance for the balance.
    The snag is that the E106 is only valid for a limited time (up to 2 years). You'd then have to pay for full private health insurance (if you could get it) until you're in receipt of a state pension. You can then apply for a form E121 which works the same as E106 but it lasts for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 boxers

You might find this forum helpful
    http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

What do you need? If you're earning in France, then for each type of treatment there's a certain amount the state will contribute. If you want to spend more, either you have what's called a mutuelle that covers the rest, or you pay yourself. War vets, unemployed people and state pensioners have a government mutuelle that pays 30% more than the standard fees the state gives back.

Non-earning foreigners basically get emergency treatment free, and you pay for the rest yourself. But I'm sure private mutuelles like Gras Savoie offer packages for retiring foreigners.

Advertisement