Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build, big problem.

Options
  • 01-03-2010 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I decided to build my own rig, got the following spec:

Antec 900 Nine Hundred - Gaming Case with 200mm Top Fan - No PSU.
    Corsair 650W TX Series PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail.
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R iX58 Socket 1366 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard.
    Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz Socket 1366 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor.
    XIGMATEK Achilles Socket 1366 775 AM2 754 939 940 Heatpipe CPU Cooler.
    Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory CL9(9-9-9-24) for i7 motherboards.
    Asus HD 4350 512MB DDR2 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E Low Profile Graphics Card.

So, I put it all together, taking my time to carefully follow all the manuals.
    When I finished, I flicked the switch on the PSU and hit the on switch on the case. There was a small blue flash inside the case, it looked to be somewhere on the mobo, and then nothing.
    I haven't opend up the case yet to have a look, but I'm fearing the worst.
    Is there any possibility that I haven't completely fried my new rig?
    Any feedback/advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Check everything and try again. Then try minimum-booting the mobo/CPU with another PSU and use the suspect PSU in another PC. Odds are one of them ain't gonna work and will be winging its way back to sender for RMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

hmmm god knows but open it up and do all the checks like the 24 pin the 8 or 4 pin cpu the graphics card pci-e cable then go over the power switch and reset switch and hard drive led, try not to worry if u need any help there,s loads of us here to help each other out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The blue light could easilly be a led on the motherboard :)

Take it all apart and put it together again, making sure all cabes are in correctly and nothign is shorting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Make sure you've placed all the standoffs correctly, and have none under the board where there's no matching hole. If you haven't already, make sure you screw in all the standoffs.

Anti wrote: »
    The blue light could easilly be a led on the motherboard :)

If it was a brief flash of blue on the first start of a virgin mobo it could also be an arc or a capacitor going 'splodes! :eek:

• Advertisement

But it's hard to draw any conclusions until the OP actually opens and looks inside the case and tries all the above advice, particularly the switching to another PSU advice you gave, Solitaire. But if there isn't a spare PSU that is compatible with the motherboard or suitable for this rig, just try everything else mentioned so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jibbs

Thanks for the input folks. I'm going to open it up in the morning and have a look. Fingers crossed! I'll let yis know how I get on.

I opend up the case today and took everything apart. There doesn't seem to be any signs of damage to the mobo/CPU/GFX card/power supply. If something shorted or got fried would there be any visible signs of damage? Also, to do a minimum boot do I have to have the mobo installed in the case and what components do I need to have in place?
    Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

minimum boot = motherboard + cpu + 1 ram + psu + keyboard +video card, all else unplugged from psu and motherboard. You want to get to the bios, no discs or add in cards needed(except video)

Its also best to swap through all available RAM modules and even video cards during the minboots to try and figure out which (if any!) is the culprit.

• Advertisement

Jibbs wrote: »
    I opend up the case today and took everything apart. There doesn't seem to be any signs of damage to the mobo/CPU/GFX card/power supply. If something shorted or got fried would there be any visible signs of damage? Also, to do a minimum boot do I have to have the mobo installed in the case and what components do I need to have in place?
    Thanks for the help.
    Can you elaborate on the state of the machine at present? Such as, is there any sign of life with you hit the power button, or is it completely dead? I suppose to answer this you would have tried to power it up since the first incident.

Reset the CMOS (consult your manual on how to do so) before doing the minimum boot. It can't hurt. It can be a problem when putting hardware on to a board or switching hardware, so resetting the CMOS will refresh the hardware profile that the board has stored. For reference, ASUS recommend you do it when you troubleshoot on their forums, but the same would apply with Gigabyte. On my previous rig, it helped sort out a problem I had of it not POSTing after switching the video card.

The board may not post until you clear CMOS, especially after a new build. Clearing CMOS forces the board to scan for connected hardware and update its stored information.

[URL="http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090420211645831&board_id=1&model=Maximus+Formula&page=1&SLanguage=en-us]"]http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090420211645831&board_id=1&model=Maximus+Formula&page=1&SLanguage=en-us[/URL]

Right, I took it all apart, did a minimum boot, all good. Threw in everything else and its still good, so it appears there was no damage done thank christ. Going to set up the BIOS and install drivers tommorrow, so expect a new thread on the multitude of problems I encounter there!
    Thanks everyone for the help, much appreciated.

Jibbs wrote: »
    Right, I took it all apart, did a minimum boot, all good. Threw in everything else and its still good, so it appears there was no damage done thank christ. Going to set up the BIOS and install drivers tommorrow, so expect a new thread on the multitude of problems I encounter there!
    Thanks everyone for the help, much appreciated.
    Phew! Man, that's great. You had, me at least, fearing the worst too! :)

Advertisement