Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AITI Part 2 - Subject Choice

Options
  • 01-03-2010 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Due to work commitments, I will not be able to devote enough time to study for the 4 subjects of part two of the tax exams this april.

Could anyone advise as to what would be the 2 most manageable of the 4....

Personal Taxes
    Business Taxes
    Indirect Taxes
    Capital Taxes

I have gained an exemption from part 1 and am only really getting into studying now/seven weeks out.

Thanks very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

is it lack of study leave being given by your employer that is making you think about only doing two?

Im doing part 2 this year (was exempt from part 1 like yourself) and i havent started studying either yet. I am taking three wks hols from work to study and sit the exams and plan to start studying a few hrs a week come this weekend and was of the opinion that this would be more than enough time to study all four:(

Oh but you prob havent sat the continuous assessment in Business Taxes so that subject is out for you. You have to sit it before sitting the summer/Autumn exam

PS: Just on a side note, you might get more feedback in the tax forum as there is a sticky in there on the AITI exams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

OP have you been to any of the lectures? Are you working in tax on a daily basis? If so, are you in a mixed tax department or a specialized department?

Seven weeks out is plenty of time to study for the exams to sit all four. Although the problem is that they've changed the entire course around this year which is a bit of a bitch.

I got 3 weeks study leave plus the week of the exams and took 1 week of annual leave before the exams.

In relation to you initial question the most manageable papers are probably indirect and capital. However, this would leave you with both personal and business in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

My understanding was that you have to sit all 4 in one sitting and if you dont get an overall mark of 200 then you have to sit all 4 again?

The most "manageable" subject is CAT. The Indirect tax paper is also manageable especially because alot of the answers are in the back of the legislation under statements of practice which in some cases gives the answer verbatim. You'd be surprised by the amount of people who dont know that.

If they have changed the rules and you can sit 2 exams in April, I would do either Corporate or Personal Tax and for the second subject either CAT or VAT. IMO you're better off doing all four.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 EAS45

Thanks for your replys, yes it is a case of not getting any time off from my current role. I have sat the CA in Jan ok. I don't actually work in tax, more in general accounting. Just wish to learn more about tax. I will look into the item about scoring 200 marks over the four exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TheScriptFan

I think you've loads of time...I'm starting to panic a little now, as I only have one weeks study leave before exams...but to be honest i just wouldn't focus if I had longer, I need the panic factor!
    Revision weekend this weekend, so hopefully that'll give me some areas to focus on as I just find it all so broad and I don't know what to focus on. Was mind boggled by triangulation relief last night...arghh!!

• Advertisement

Part 2 results to-morrow...I think I might puke I'm so nervous!!

im pretty sure i didnt pass income tax but if i fail any more than that i will be well pis*ed off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sky8

Good luck everyone....indirect tax is making me nervous but fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bubblicious

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow :eek:

Passed all four...phewwwwwwww!!

How did everyone else get on?

• Advertisement

passed all four too, delighted!!

Just scraped by in the personal tax but im not complaining

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bubblicious

Passed all 4 as well, just got the 50 in VAT but totally delighted!

congrats!! I just scraped 51 in business, but once it's over the line I don't care!!

See you all next year so!

Advertisement