Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the end of "the american dream" ?

Options
  • 02-03-2010 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

The led policy of war after 11 September 2001 (Afghanistan, Iraq) take enormous expenses and victims. The USA spends billions of dollars, but it will not win these wars.
    The USA are indebted in a way never experienced before. The financial crisis has been cured by an internal intervention of the country which applied huge amounts of cash into the financial system, calming the situation down for a while. However, the essence of the problem still exists: everyone wants to take credits.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,973 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Could you please rephrase your opening discussion in a coherent manner :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Overheal wrote: »
    Could you please rephrase your opening discussion in a coherent manner :confused:
    I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Personally I find it better to be living the American Dream, albeit currently somewhat diminished, then to be one of the PIGS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MadLee

Overheal wrote: »

Will the United States of America fall apart under the influence of the latest events like the USSR did in 1991 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

MadLee wrote: »
    Will the United States of America fall apart under the influence of the latest events like the USSR did in 1991 ?

No, it will almost certainly not. The USSR collapsed in 1991 for the following reasons.

1. After the Soviet Satelite states gained independence in the 80's and early 90's, the USSR economy shrank drastically. Because the Soviets had crippled their economy with excessive Defence spending in a desperate attempt to compete with the US, the USSR was not economically viable after the Satelite States gained Independence. Although the US economy is currently struggling, it is no where near as bad as the USSR's was in 1991.

2. Ever since the October Revelution in 1917, the Russian people had no civil rights . There was no Freedom of Speech, no Right to Protest and no Free Press. When Gorbhachev finally introduced Reforms in the 1980's, the people demanded the rights that all free people take for granted. This new movement for Civil Rights was always going to lead to the USSR collapsing eventually. Although there is undoubtedly a significant amount of disenchantment in the USA, it is a lot of less than in the USSR in 1991.

3. The US is a democracy, the Soviet Union was a dictatorship. Ever since WW2, no western democracy has collapsed and I doubt the US will be the first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Poor choice of words OP.
    You should have said, "the end of american hegemony"; or "end of the american empire".

The "American Dream" refers to something altogether different.

I think we are seeing a lot of this doomsday talk now, and i personally believe it is a result of current media sensationalism in the US about Debt, and new scary terminology: "Debt Bomb".

I'm not an economist, but i don't buy hype.

Advertisement