Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring onions, and when to transplant?

Options
  • 02-03-2010 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Hello there, my name is Stephen, I'm 25 and when plants see me coming I can almost smell their fear, and some actually shrivel and die on me before I even get to them, thats how bad of a gardener I am :P

I've only started gardening to be honest, and I've started with spring onions, I have them in little mini plantpaks I bought from aldis, and the seelings have just appeared, however, now that they have appeared when do I translpant?

Finally, is my domestic soil enough to keep them healthy and fit for growing? currently my soil is blackish in colour, I've seen weeds in it so this is enough to tell me that its at least somewhat fertile and when I pick it up and roll it in my hands I can create a sausage with it like play dough, which tells me its well drained yes?. But there are no worms, ( seriously i've checked) LOL is this a bad sign?

Instead of prescribing me some good advice for gardening, I can somehow tell that from the above said you could possibly be advising me on a trip to my local doctor to get my head checked lol.

God bless and thanks in advance for the advice.
    Stephen<3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 wildlandscape

you raise good points about seedlings and soil. I would wait until the soil warms up (10 degrees as a rule of thumb) before transplanting them to a well prepared seed bed.
    While waiting, dig a plot and rake it well, creating a fine crumbly surface and remove stones and weeds. Stop weeds growing by covering seedbed with old carpet, mypex or even plastic until you are ready to transplant next month.

Soil colour sounds promising, dark colour suggests organic rich soil. However the lack of worms is a real test and says to me that your soil needs more garden compost, rotted manure and some horticulture sand or grit (your soil is clay and holds water). This is a good time to feed the soil. Good luck!

Advertisement