Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone that has revise wise for lc maths does it contain the further prob section?

Options
  • 02-03-2010 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

For anyone that has the revise wise maths book for leaving cert higher does it have a section on further probability and statistics and is it any good?could one teach it to themselves?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭BrokenHeels_Ox

i have it but i havent really looked at the options sections, it covers all four options but i couldnt tell ya if its easy to teach urself or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

I've tried teaching myself, now i'm a B honours maths stdent and find it quite tricky to be honest with you, you kinda do need a teacher, plus it takes up so much time so close to the exams

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Finally thought it to myself!well worth having an extra option on the day i hope!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

yeah Revise Wise does have the Further Prob section

I think that Further Prob is by far the easiest of all the options, Its a question I reckon I can get a pretty easy B in. You would need a teacher tho I would say as there is some complicated stuff.

Yeah some bits are tricky alright but the question but ur using the same formulas over n over again n thats half ur marks:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

eoins23456 wrote: »
    Yeah some bits are tricky alright but the question but ur using the same formulas over n over again n thats half ur marks:D

yeah defo, actually just did the last 6 years worth of further prob questions over the last day or so and its just the same formulas over and over

Yeah did the same ting yesterday!going to do the further calculas as my backup as well!..well i say this now.if i get arond to it sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Might give it a shot myself, not a big fan of the further calculus option.

Bit confused with this question that was on the further probability question on examcraft mock.It says 95percent level of significance but usually it says 5 percent.gave the question a go anyway but kinda confused as to why they said 95.not sure if my solution is correct or way off.any help is much appreciated

The mean number of sweet contained in packets of sweets is stated by the manufacturer to be 96,with a standard deviation of 5.A sample of 100 packets was selected at random and found to have a mean packet content of 93 sweets. At the 95 percent level of significance,is there evidence to suggest that the mean number of sweets is less then 96?

My solution:
    i said this is a one tailed test as its in a definite direction ie less then 96
    93-96/5/square root of1oo=-3/.5=-6 which is less the -1.645
    therefore reject null hypothesis.evidence there to suggest number of sweets is less then 96

Is this right or wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Tut, tut! Double posting. I've answered in the maths forum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement