Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you like to see come to Dundalk

Options
  • 02-03-2010 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

That you feel would make it a better place to dwell in?

I can hear already the bitter melody and lyrics of ''lower prices'' but on a more serious note, what would you bring to Dundalk or what is it you feel Dundalk is missing as a town?

Such a thread could die quickly seeing as in other threads of the forum we are discussing the sad loss of many shops/jobs here in Dundalk which would hardly give people the stomach to talk about what it needs or what its missing.

As a Christian I believe its missing a good old shop like Veritas.ie then I wouldnt have to travel so far to get my bits and pieces.

better traffic policing would be another great thing to come to Dundalk, the amount of people I've seen breaking those lights in the centre of town is disastrous, its either that or I've just got one of those faces you want to slap.

Pax Christi
    Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I've just moved from a region near Dundalk to Dun Loaghaire for a job and believe me Dundalk is still in a pretty good state, Dun Loaghaire is really suffering with at least 50% of shops and restuarants closed down, its like a ghost town.

Is the cinema still being built? Dundalk really needs a new cinema.

You'll never stop people breaking the lights either, happens everywhere.

All I'd realy like to see in Dundalk is a TKMAXX and an Eddie Rockets for when I want cheap clothes and an M50 burger :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Some decent elected politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭alfman

A decent bike shop. I'm sick of having to travel to Newry or Dublin for things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Is a really good bikeshop in Carrickmacross

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Duncelt

A decent Bingo venue, like Boyles in Newry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BennyBlanko

The Plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 BluefinnST

A decent supermarket. Dunnes has a pretty basic range when compared to the likes of Tesco Asda Sainsburys etc. Tesco in Dundalk just turns me right off, such unpleasant staff and to me both shops always look dirty with many empty shelves and freshfood at its sell-by date. On a few occasions I have visited the one in Drogheda which is fabulous in comparison. Dunno whether the re-vamp is going ahead for Dundalk Shopping Centre but d nice clean supermarket be a start.

We really need Clanbrassil Street filled with shops too but if this cathedral walk development is completed there will be nothing in the centre of the town at all, it will all be centred on the Ramparts/Marshes area.
    Why not try and fill the retail units already in existence rather than build unnecessary extra ones. There is only so much business to go around so why not re-develop what is already there??!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

draffodx wrote: »
    Is the cinema still being built?
    +1

Thats gone very quiet so it has, hopefully it still is going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

BluefinnST wrote: »
    A decent supermarket. Dunnes has a pretty basic range when compared to the likes of Tesco Asda Sainsburys etc. Tesco in Dundalk just turns me right off, such unpleasant staff and to me both shops always look dirty with many empty shelves and freshfood at its sell-by date.

I wanna join your gang !

I shop in Dunnes, all three of them actually and the staff do my bloody head in. In fact I can honestly say I have only ever experienced two nice people in the Ard Easmund store... Thats me hitting Dunnes at least five times a week.

I'd love to see a TK Maxx and an outdoor shop that doesnt esculate the cost of goods by 30 to 40%...

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

A nuclear bomb to wipe the place out :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 higgins2010

draffodx wrote: »
    I've just moved from a region near Dundalk to Dun Loaghaire for a job and believe me Dundalk is still in a pretty good state, Dun Loaghaire is really suffering with at least 50% of shops and restuarants closed down, its like a ghost town.

Is the cinema still being built? Dundalk really needs a new cinema.

You'll never stop people breaking the lights either, happens everywhere.

All I'd realy like to see in Dundalk is a TKMAXX and an Eddie Rockets for when I want cheap clothes and an M50 burger :D
    i second that one, dearys would be a great spot for tkmaxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Can I just ask why a new cinema is needed? I rarely go to the cinema so I wouldn't know the reasons.

Also, time to pedestrianise most of the town if they want to try and stop the exodus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Not sure why a new cinema is needed either. I go an odd time and it's grand. I suppose it probably doesn't have a whole lot of bells and whistles that a new one would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ireland has the highest cinema going population in the world!

Dundalk has a pretty big population all things considered.

There are very few entertainment venue's in Dundalk

The existing cinema is part of the IMC chain, I understand the new one may be a Movies@ which is superior (opera, VIP areas, deals, better range of films)

I think it was due to be build near JJB/Icedome - so easier to get to and park (less chance of car being vandalised), beside the student accomodation & large estates.

It's a no brainer really, and would be hugely successful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I think the last thing the town needs is another Cimena. Most films I ever wanted to see were in the current one. The proposed loaction for the new cinema is hardly the safest place to leave a car either.;)

As for what I would like to see in Dundalk - I ask myself "What would Jesus want to see?" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

amacachi wrote: »
    Also, time to pedestrianise most of the town if they want to try and stop the exodus.
    I don't know if that'll make a difference. Didn't West Street in Drogheda do that and now there are widespread vacant units?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I don't know if that'll make a difference. Didn't West Street in Drogheda do that and now there are widespread vacant units?

Question has to be how much worse it could've been had they not pedestrianised, along with the rather large shopping centre that opened around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

If there was a Next and a Marks and Spencer life would be complete. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

+1 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

An Elocution school to help the good citizens of Dundalk loose that god awful accent Hai

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭KBarry

Indicators for cars. Novel idea I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

An Elocution school to help the good citizens of Dundalk loose that god awful accent Hai

clap clap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

other than the tripe we are been fed from Hollywood at the moment, what is wrong with the current cinema we have? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

Aspirations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

BluefinnST wrote: »
    We really need Clanbrassil Street filled with shops too but if this cathedral walk development is completed there will be nothing in the centre of the town at all, it will all be centred on the Ramparts/Marshes area. Why not try and fill the retail units already in existence rather than build unnecessary extra ones. There is only so much business to go around so why not re-develop what is already there??!

what?! francis street/williamsons mall is the town centre.... my god, if it was anymore in the town centre it'd be out the far side!

i think this is typical dundalk attitude, always whinging and finding fault with something good and beneficial to the town.... if anything this attractive new walkway will feed the marshes customers into clanbrassil st. Monarch are a private company, they see the financial potential in dundalk but its certainly not their job to prop up a failing commercial area like clanbrassil street. the onus is on the council to lower rates and traders to cop on and start competing effectively...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

hellboy99 wrote: »
    +1

Thats gone very quiet so it has, hopefully it still is going ahead.

I really hope it is... my biggest fear for the town is these big companies who have promised the new cinema and the new ski resort making these planning applications and what not in order to raise the price of their holding and make a quick buck from buyers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 BluefinnST

bigneacy wrote: »
    i think this is typical dundalk attitude, always whinging and finding fault with something good and beneficial to the town.... if anything this attractive new walkway will feed the marshes customers into clanbrassil st.

Into Clanbrassil Street for what? there is nothing in Clanbrassil Street which was my original point.
    Yours is typical Irish attitude.. change for the sake of change whether it is needed or not. What is wrong with redeveloping what is already in existence?
    Dunnes in Park Street closed because of relocation to Marshes, Dorothy Perkins moved from Clanbrassil Street to Marshes. The only reason Penneys is still in Longwalk along with being in Marshes is because they were contractually obliged to remain in The Longwalk Shopping Centre.
    It is not new business being generated but just moved from one location to another.
    I wholeheartedly agree that rates and parking fees should be reduced to attempt to generate business.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

I must say pay parking is a big factor in where I shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Duncelt

Supervalue - they seem to have great offers

I second Next & MArks - I just love Marks food - especially when they do their "Dine for 2 for €12.50" promotion - great value.

Advertisement