Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul McCartney - RDS June 12 2010. All discussion, no ticket sales or swaps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭corm500

Great clips.Such good quality, I am sure he looked straight into the camera at one point:)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mr Teeny

Great vids JP :)

Absolutely fantastic gig last night.

He really puts other younger artists to shame with his energy and enthusiasm, total legend.
    Will put this in spoilers in case people are going to see the gig in UK or whatever... The fireworks for Live and Let Die were amazing! Would've been a great way to end the show I thought.

Had pitch standing tics and for the first bit of the gig thought the sound was a bit low (presumed it was just residential sound restrictions) but we pushed up closer to the stage and by the end sound was perfect.

Only downside for me was the usual selection of an Irish gig crowd. Pity about all the drunk twats who insisted on chatting away very loudly during songs like Blackbird. Just listen to the song FFS!!!! Thankfully we were standing so we could walk away and gently elbow the idiots as we passed! ;)

Paul more than made up for them though... we are hoarse and stiff from all the singing and dancing! Amazing gig, was totally blown away :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

What a gig , nearly 3 hours and 2 encores :) . I thought it was a unreal gig crowd were great around me . Was on my own but didnt care it was prob the fastest gig at the same time. Paul buts a lot of younger bands to shame since a guy that age can put in a great show like that for about 2h45m and most bands do nearly half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Terrific gig as per usual, but I felt his voice was much weaker than at the O2 or at the first RDS gig in 2003. He was really struggling at times vocally, but still he and that great band managed a memorable performance.

The Coronas, wtf? Awful, drearily unoriginal nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

jpfahy wrote: »

Fantastic quality, what camera/phone did you use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

The gig was quite simply phenomenal.:D I think from Band On The Run onwards with one massive sing-along aftrer another - was probably the best run of songs I have ever heard at any gig - it was just unbelievable.

There were so many highlights - my top five had to be Back In The USSR, A Day In The Life/Give Peace A Chance, Live and Let Die, Hey Jude and Helter Skelter.

He had so much energy and the atmostphere was electric. Definatly 11/10.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

he was brilliant! people were posting earlier on in the thread about how the O2 gig was so good that they weren't sure if he could repeat that at the RDS. I really think last night was as good if not better than the O2 :)

I was pitch standing, right at the barrier. the crowd was great. Not sure what to make of the seating at the very front though. My view was fairly unobstructed from where I was standing, so I'm not griping about the rows of seats in front or anything like that, I just thought it was an odd setup really, although it certainly didn't affect the atmosphere as far as I was concerned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Absolutely amazing! I was at the front on the pitch & nearly had the hair singed off me for Live & Let Die! Wasn't that brilliant? And fireworks in the sky too!

The playlist was similar to O2, some new ones like Mrs Vanderbilt added. I'm still not mad about the "Let's Dance Tonight" song. Though I'm not complaining, every other song was spot on.

The only thing was down on the pitch the seats were all on a level. So some idiots in front of me stood up (weren't even dancing - just standing there!) so blocked the view for everyone behind. We asked them to sit down but unfortunately they were too selfish to do that! That was the only downside.

Apart from that, great gig! I'm looking forward to the next one! Paul did say at the end he'd be back!

I like the way the crowd sang "happy birthday too! Woody Harrelson was near us, he has great taste in music!

What a gig , nearly 3 hours and 2 encores :) . I thought it was a unreal gig crowd were great around me . Was on my own but didnt care it was prob the fastest gig at the same time. Paul buts a lot of younger bands to shame since a guy that age can put in a great show like that for about 2h45m and most bands do nearly half.
    Hi Furious Red, I remember when you were trying to get a ticket on your mother's credit card way back earlier in the year, I thought that was so funny!

Glad to hear you enjoyed the gig! It wouldn't have mattered if you were on your own, the atmosphere & crowd were so good.

Roll on the next one!

woody harrelson? cool!!!! did he arrive shortly before paul came onstage? I could see a big commotion and people at the front taking photos and standing up just prior to the start but couldn't think of a single Irish "celeb" (or worse, politician!) worthy of such attention ;) we only saw the likes of Marty Whelan and Bryan Dobson in the crowd

re: people standing in front of you - that's annoying if they weren't courteous enough to move when you asked. I figured a lot of people would opt for those flat seats if they weren't physically able to stand for long periods of time, and that's one of the reasons (apart from cost) that I chose to stand, even though it meant being further away from the stage. I wasn;t sure if security would make people sit for the whole thing, nor did I want to end up blocking the view of someone who genuinely had to sit for the whole gig

• Advertisement

Security did ask them to sit down several times but they were such mean people that they just continued standing, ruining the good view for everyone else.

Yes, seeing Woody Harrelson was cool. I thought the height of the celeb-watching was going to be Ryan Tubridy, so I was delighted to see Woody. You're right, he came in just before Paul went on stage, so there was a bit of a commotion.

The guy beside me got a good video clip on his camera so I hope to see it on youtube soon.

Though apart from that, I would still have paid to get one of those seats, it was the closest I've ever been to Macca at a concert. it was well worth the money.

I'm going to keep an eye out on the www.paulmccartney.com website for any future concerts. I got my good ticket by using the fan club presale code so would definitely try to do that again.

that is quite mean. Weirdly enough though, some people were standing and dancing around at the back of that section, presumably to NOT block the view of anyone sitting behind them but security kept moving them along to their seats.

What was the deal with all the people at the very front of the stage? with signs and all that. were they just standing up instead of sitting in the front rows of seats? It looked kinda crowded when the camera panned around, but at the same time it didn't look as if a load of seats had been abandoned either.

Watching my vids and pics fo the gig now, yaaay it was so much fun :) Hope Paul comes back again soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Have to agree with everyone, gig was amazing!!! We left as last song was finishing and were just about the enter the carpark when his tour bus came out, he was waving at people at the exit to the RDS then turned stopped as the coach turned the corner and we were standing there so started waving frantically and he started waving back, then my bf gave him the thumbs up and he did it back to him!!Made the night for us:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Mr Teeny wrote: »
    Only downside for me was the usual selection of an Irish gig crowd. Pity about all the drunk twats who insisted on chatting away very loudly during songs like Blackbird. Just listen to the song FFS!!!! Thankfully we were standing so we could walk away and gently elbow the idiots as we passed! ;)

We noticed a number of people like this too, such poor form.

Great gig, as expected. It was nice that the setlist had changed a little from the O2 concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Fantastic gig,great night

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Hi Furious Red, I remember when you were trying to get a ticket on your mother's credit card way back earlier in the year, I thought that was so funny!

Glad to hear you enjoyed the gig! It wouldn't have mattered if you were on your own, the atmosphere & crowd were so good.

Roll on the next one!
    Ha yea i was going to get the ticket on the other site (not ticketmaster). Then i decided to take a chance and wait till they went onsale on ticketmaster .

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ppdub73

Unbelievable! Probably the best gig I was at...EVER!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ph3n0m666

as for only 55% tickets told complete B.S....looked very bloody full to me last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

what a gig! amazing, paul is such a show man. If he is ever gets back to us (pun intended :p) il defo be going

setlist:
    Dublin Setlist - Saturday 12th June 2010‏

1. Venus and Mars / Rockshow
    2. Jet
    3. All My Loving
    4. Letting Go
    5. Got To Get You Into My Life
    6. Highway
    7. Let Me Roll It
    8. The Long And Winding Road
    9. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five
    10. Let ‘Em In
    11. My Love
    12. I'm Looking Through You
    13. Two Of Us
    14. Blackbird
    15. Here Today
    16. Dance Tonight
    17. Mrs Vandebilt
    18. Eleanor Rigby
    19. Something
    20. Sing The Changes
    21. Band On The Run
    22. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
    23. Back In The USSR
    24. I’ve Got A Feeling
    25. Paperback Writer
    26. A Day In The Life / Give Peace A Chance
    27. Let It Be
    28. Live And Let Die
    29. Hey Jude

Encore
    30. Day Tripper
    31. Lady Madonna
    32. Get Back

Second Encore
    33. Yesterday
    34. Helter Skelter
    35. Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band / The End

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

stinkle wrote: »
    he was brilliant! people were posting earlier on in the thread about how the O2 gig was so good that they weren't sure if he could repeat that at the RDS. I really think last night was as good if not better than the O2 :)

I was pitch standing, right at the barrier. the crowd was great. Not sure what to make of the seating at the very front though. My view was fairly unobstructed from where I was standing, so I'm not griping about the rows of seats in front or anything like that, I just thought it was an odd setup really, although it certainly didn't affect the atmosphere as far as I was concerned :D

I think the atmosphere was better in the O2 but that the gig last night was absolutely brilliant. I've never seen Paul in such good form. He appeared to be on a high after The White House gig! I was also at the barrier which meant for a great view. I was willing the people in the seats to stand up but when they did they obstructed my view for taking photos :D Brilliant gig though. Very glad to have seen him twice in 6 months and would go again!
    Linguo wrote: »
    Have to agree with everyone, gig was amazing!!! We left as last song was finishing and were just about the enter the carpark when his tour bus came out, he was waving at people at the exit to the RDS then turned stopped as the coach turned the corner and we were standing there so started waving frantically and he started waving back, then my bf gave him the thumbs up and he did it back to him!!Made the night for us:D

Nice one!!!! :D
    ph3n0m666 wrote: »
    as for only 55% tickets told complete B.S....looked very bloody full to me last night

Looked pretty full to me too.....

• Advertisement

I agree. Even though i've seen him twice now in 6 months, would definitely go again. I might check out whether he has other shows in Europe during 2010/2011. It would be a good excuse to use as a little holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

great gig, it was nowhere near full, half the pitch was empty, everyone just squeezed up the front. we stayed towards the back, sound was louder there behind the big rig of speakers. went back and forth to the bar, danced like eejits as we were nicely on at that stage. everyone at the back was hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

magnumlady wrote: »
    Fantastic quality, what camera/phone did you use?

Videos were taken with my Panasonic Lumix TZ10.

I took some photos with it as well, view them here:

http://pix.ie/jpfahy/1734420

If you click on the 'sizes' button you'll see them at a higher resolution.
    The photos are straight from the camera.
    By the way I used 'S', Shutter Priority @1/160 as I found the automatic settings were giving poor pics in the difficult lighting conditions.

They are fantastic photos! Well done! Thanks a lot jp for showing us the videos also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

jpfahy wrote: »
    Videos were taken with my Panasonic Lumix TZ10.

I took some photos with it as well, view them here:

http://pix.ie/jpfahy/1734420

If you click on the 'sizes' button you'll see them at a higher resolution.
    The photos are straight from the camera.
    By the way I used 'S', Shutter Priority @1/160 as I found the automatic settings were giving poor pics in the difficult lighting conditions.

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Had an amazing day. When we got up to Dublin we did some tourist things I never got to do when I was working up there.

Concert itself was amazing, best show I've ever seen! It's hard to believe he is in his late 60's. Really enjoyed Blackbird (really annoying to have people talking over the song though), Let It Be, Live and Let Die and Helter Skelter but the highlight was Hey Jude, it was amazing to see everyone so into it :). To top off a brilliant weekend I met Hurley from Lost at Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Not intending to spoil the mood, but I wish he wouldn't keep developing this story about how 'Blackbird' was written about the civil rights movement/feminism whatever, it was nothing of the sort.

Had an amazing day. When we got up to Dublin we did some tourist things I never got to do when I was working up there.

Concert itself was amazing, best show I've ever seen! It's hard to believe he is in his late 60's. Really enjoyed Blackbird (really annoying to have people talking over the song though), Let It Be, Live and Let Die and Helter Skelter but the highlight was Hey Jude, it was amazing to see everyone so into it :). To top off a brilliant weekend I met Hurley from Lost at Dublin Airport.
    Wow, what a good weekend for celeb spotting!

I presume Hurley was just passing through? I'd love it if he came to Ireland to visit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Wow, what a good weekend for celeb spotting!

I presume Hurley was just passing through? I'd love it if he came to Ireland to visit!

I met him when we were both in the queue for one of the Bank Of Ireland ATMs. It was weird, when I was standing behind him I thought to myself that he reminded me of Hurley. He then turns around and makes a remark about the length of the queue to me and it was Hurley! We chatted for a few minutes, he seemed really sound anyway. He told me he was here for a few days and when he left he was going off to rent a car. Never in a million years would I have thought I'd be chatting to Hurley in a queue for an ATM. Saw Tubridy at the Paul McCartney gig as well, in fairness to him he did spend time with people that sought out his attention.

Advertisement