Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul McCartney - RDS June 12 2010. All discussion, no ticket sales or swaps

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

On ITV2 right now they are showing the highlights of his set fromt the Isle Of Wight festival which ended a half an hour ago. Adds on now but should be on till 12.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

in fairness to him he did spend time with people that sought out his attention.

in fairness that's the only reason that man gets out of bed in the morning, attention....

In terms of the gig, 4th time seeing Macca, it was a little disappointing to be honest, the sound at times was just awful and not being able to hear him talk just encourages people standing 100 yards back to start talking.... Not to say that he didnt give it everything though! Just the atmosphere was lacking a little, i think it affected his performance, I've never seen him make so many (completely insignificant) mistakes in a gig, the man's a perfectionist!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

phonypony wrote: »
    in fairness that's the only reason that man gets out of bed in the morning, attention....

In terms of the gig, 4th time seeing Macca, it was a little disappointing to be honest, the sound at times was just awful and not being able to hear him talk just encourages people standing 100 yards back to start talking.... Not to say that he didnt give it everything though! Just the atmosphere was lacking a little, i think it affected his performance, I've never seen him make so many (completely insignificant) mistakes in a gig, the man's a perfectionist!

Seriously? Were you sitting? I have been to dozens of big gigs and where I was right up the front of the standing area the atmosphere was unbelivable,especially the second half - prob the best I've ever experienced tbh. I was shocked at how good the sound was in the venue - a million miles better than U2 at Croker, where the sound was awful. The sound was also better than it was at Bruce last summer in the RDS - and according to my mate who was at the O2 gig as well Macca's voice was better as according to him it was slightly horse by the end of the O2 gig. We were very lucky though because just watching his performance on ITV2 right now, his voice is breaking constantly - obviouslty shot from last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

SB-08 wrote: »
    Seriously? Were you sitting? I have been to dozens of big gigs and where I was right up the front of the standing area the atmosphere was unbelivable,especially the second half - prob the best I've ever experienced tbh. I was shocked at how good the sound was in the venue - a million miles better than U2 at Croker, where the sound was awful. The sound was also better than it was at Bruce last summer in the RDS - and according to my mate who was at the O2 gig as well Macca's voice was better as according to him it was slightly horse by the end of the O2 gig. We were very lucky though because just watching his performance on ITV2 right now, his voice is breaking constantly - obviouslty shot from last night.

watching it too, and I agree. My mam was there last night too and even texted me to say he sounds like he needs a few strepsils. In fairness to him, two intense shows in the space of two days plus all the travelling would affect anyone! what a trouper (but I'm glad we got him fresh last night ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

I gotta say I feel the same way Phonypony,

The sound at the start was terrible, Venus and Mars / Rock Show was very hard to hear, it was easily talked over, thankfully it improved mid way through the gig!

Can't say anything bad about Macca's performance he really gave it everything and I didn't hear many mistakes I must say, there was times when I thought he looked a bit fed up, the crowd at times were not interacting at all, I was in a pretty bad place, there was people standing around with there arms crossed, the only time they broke a smile and clapped was for the fireworks in Live and Let Die :pac: , the RDS looked very full to me, but a steward on the way told me there was alotta tickets left, hopefully a sign to someone that people are fed up forking out big bucks for gigs, €160 is ridiculous!! Although there was no doubt Macca would give a super performance!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

I met him when we were both in the queue for one of the Bank Of Ireland ATMs. It was weird, when I was standing behind him I thought to myself that he reminded me of Hurley. He then turns around and makes a remark about the length of the queue to me and it was Hurley! We chatted for a few minutes, he seemed really sound anyway. He told me he was here for a few days and when he left he was going off to rent a car. Never in a million years would I have thought I'd be chatting to Hurley in a queue for an ATM. Saw Tubridy at the Paul McCartney gig as well, in fairness to him he did spend time with people that sought out his attention.

Haha that's cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

The sound was pretty ordinary. I got the feeling that whoever was driving the desk didn't know the show too well, as sometimes the wrong instrument was brought up for a solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ktc1

We were in the fifth row, at the very centre of the stage and it was incredible. The people in the row in front of us went to the stage leaving row four empty so we were left with a brilliant view despite everyone in row three forward standing up. It really felt like an intimate club gig since we were able to see Paul and the band so close and you weren't really aware of the size of the crowd around you until the end of songs. We didn't stand until hey Jude and the encores when everybody was up bopping. I know it would have been cool to be up dancing all the time but lots of people in the seats were older or just not into dancing (like the elderly couple behind us) and it would have been very rude and inconsiderate to have blocked their view. (some people were getting a bit upset about this and security were pretty lax)

For this reason I don't think there shouldn't be seats in front of the stage and also it does detract from the atmosphere, I reckon it's the promoter maximising his return. If you want to sit you should get a good view, but the penalty you pay is losing proximity. Having said that, just this once I'm not complaining. I saw Macca in '89 (Wembley Arena) and '93 (Earls Court) from the absolute gods and from seating back and to the side in the RDS in 2003. I had good central seats for the O2 last December and to be honest I think that was the best atmosphere wise, the sound indoors is just better than outdoors ( everyone singing along to Something raised the hairs on the back of my neck) , Paul even said he felt like it was a pub gig. Being within spitting distance of the man on Saturday night however was an incredible experience in itself.

I thought his voice was in very good fettle, marginally better than the O2. In the O2 he struggled with the start of My Love before getting it back. I wasn't conscious of any bum notes this time, maybe one or two at the start of Here Today. Those are the songs that seem to catch him out a little these days, the slow starting ballads with high notes. Being able to belt out Helter Skelter after two and a half hours at the age of 68 is awe inspiring. My wife would only be a moderate fan and she was very impressed and loved Mrs. Vandebilt. Personally I loved "Sing the Changes", it's a brilliant live song.

In relation to the size of the crowd Paul made a joky reference to the people on their own at the back and I think he was referring to the rear grandstand. which wasn't full. When I turned around and looked it seemed only half full. Before the concert started it had definitely been a lot fuller and I reckon many of theose people must have come on to the pitch to get closer to the stage.

Woody Harrelson was very friendly and stood for pictures with people along beside where we were sitting for a couple of minutes just before the concert started.

There was a very funny eager auld fella in the row behind us who gave the security man a note for Paul before the gig started ! He was then the guy who got the crowd started on Happy Birthday and man was he delighted with himself. There was another elderly gent in the second row who was boppin' big time and who sent some very aromatic "cigarette" smoke wafting back our way so a big thank you to him.

I got some great snippets of the gig on my flip cam although some of the videos are washed out because of the bright light focused on Paul. The best is Blackbird although it is slightly spoiled by the eejit two seats behind me who phoned a friend and roared "f'ing listen to this" during the song. I'll try and upload to Youtube later.

All in all a great gig and a beautiful night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Best gig ever! I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but I wish people would stop nit-picking and highlighting insignificant issues. I was close-ish to the front, standing, but the sound appeared perfect to me. At any rate, I believe that every element needs to be taken into account. His energy and that of the crowd, his fantastic interaction with the fans, the line up of songs, his ability to have the craic and banter, refernces to the country he was gigging in; it all added up to one hell of a good night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Must say it was a fantastic gig.

Only disappointing thing was the drunks in the crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

This gig surprised me; I thought it would be very good but it was better than I expected, I knew the songs were brilliant but I didn't expect the performance to be so good......Part of it I guess depends on the listener. I've been listening to the Beatles since I was 8, had the 62-66 cassette back then and must have listened to it a thousand times, know all the words, love the songs. The gig for me was a bit of an emotional experience. Hearing the likes of I'm seeing through you, or Blackbird, or a Day in the life......was a fantastic experience. I've seen a lot of the 'greats' in recent years.....this would have topped any of then for me. Unlike Dylan, McCartney can still sing (and I know Dylan has a lot of positive attributes live, but singing voice is fairly fundamental). Unlike the Stones, he's not just going through the motions. The only other concert I enjoyed as much was Paul Simon in Kilkenny a few years back.

A few comments: I was standing near the front of the standing area, on the right hand side of the ground. There were very few drunks around me, the sound was great. Everyone was well into the gig. For Blackbird especially, it seemed to me like there was a hush all over the stadium.

'Sing the Changes' is a class song, I would say its my favourite song of his solo career, and was brilliant on Saturday.

The segue from A Day in the Life to Give Peace a Chance was a big dud I thought, but a bit comical at the same time.

I thought his chats between songs to be quite amusing, I felt some of them at least were ad libbed (which is normally not the case)....his birthday comments for sure were; I didn't know about the bit about the guy with the sign, but thought it was very funny regardless.

I couldn't help feeling that when the guitar player was singing John's bits, that it didn't feel right.....that he felt himself like he wasn't worthy. Maybe thats me being stupid, they are only songs after all.

He definitely ad libbed more than normal, and was reading the signs and nodding/winking/pointing to the people standing at the front. (I made eye contact a few times, or at least that's what I'm telling myself !!" I think it was because there were only a few dozen in the "pit" at the front compared to the thousands there would normally be when it's all standing. so it was easier for him to concentrate on just a few people and their signs. He ad libbed a fair bit at the O2 as well, but very little back in 2004 during the Heather era !
    He also nearly took a major nose dive at the very end as he was coming back from waving to people at stage right and tripped over some cabling.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

ktc1 wrote: »
    Woody Harrelson was very friendly and stood for pictures with people along beside where we were sitting for a couple of minutes just before the concert started.

There was a very funny eager auld fella in the row behind us who gave the security man a note for Paul before the gig started ! He was then the guy who got the crowd started on Happy Birthday and man was he delighted with himself. There was another elderly gent in the second row who was boppin' big time and who sent some very aromatic "cigarette" smoke wafting back our way so a big thank you to him.

I got some great snippets of the gig on my flip cam although some of the videos are washed out because of the bright light focused on Paul. The best is Blackbird although it is slightly spoiled by the eejit two seats behind me who phoned a friend and roared "f'ing listen to this" during the song. I'll try and upload to Youtube later.

All in all a great gig and a beautiful night.
    Thanks ktc, that's a really good review!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

It really was a class concert. Live and Let Die was UNREAL! Those fireworks were great, definetly the advantage of having an outdoor concert. Overall the second best concert I was ever at! Number one being Oasis at Slane. I thought the crowd, at least where i was standing were very dry, I guess Paul attracts an older crowd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johnlennon

if it wasnt for mark chapman. youse wud be talkin about me

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Hippo wrote: »
    Not intending to spoil the mood, but I wish he wouldn't keep developing this story about how 'Blackbird' was written about the civil rights movement/feminism whatever, it was nothing of the sort.

And you know the history of the song better than the man who wrote it?

Tarabuses wrote: »

In fairness to Hippo, I think Paul only started relating the history of this particular song in recent years. It does seem a bit strange given that we've known the history of a lot of the other songs for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Not sure if many have noticed this but it seems that there is a live Macca gig on this channel online tomorrow night.

http://www.youtube.com/bornHIVfree

• Advertisement

dixiefly wrote: »
    Not sure if many have noticed this but it seems that there is a live Macca gig on this channel online tomorrow night.

http://www.youtube.com/bornHIVfree

For those like myself who can't view tomorrow night it will be available for a month after!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Thanks for that guys.

I was at the RDS a week later at the Pink concert (accompanying my son - don't ask!!).

Pink only played for about an hour & a half approx. Macca played for almost 3 hours non-stop, what a performer!!

I'd love to see him again next year maybe, & I'd travel to see him. I'll check his website for future concerts. I doubt he'll be coming back to Ireland for a while, does anyone know?

When Macca played here in December it was only his second ever solo appearance here so I was amazed when he returned so quickly! I'd doubt we will see him here again for a long time!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

musicmania wrote: »
    When Macca played here in December it was only his second ever solo appearance here so I was amazed when he returned so quickly! I'd doubt we will see him here again for a long time!

Yea he doesnt seem to tour much which is good because it makes it worth while when he plays over here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Tarabuses wrote: »

Pick up a copy of the good evening New York dvd that came out last year, there's no mention of blackbird being about civil rights made to American audiences at all. He tells the story that he and George couldn't play a piece by Chopin correctly on piano and it became blackbird. So much as I like Paul the whole blackbird being a tribute to civil rights is definitely an ego massage otherwise why would he not tell the same story to his US audiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Seen Macca and the lads again on Sunday night in Hyde Park, It seems of late I'm having the same complaint about gigs over and over, at the start of the gig and for a main chunk of it I thought the sound was very low, hearable but still very low, and as I noticed at the previous Macca gigs I've been to, the sound improves towards the end of the main set, I dunno why this is and why it can't be the same throughout the gig,

Standard Macca set list for this tour, which is a great set list, but still you'd imagine at this stage Macca could dial up any tune he wanted to, having said this he did add 1 new tune to the set, Ram On, but seeing multiple shows the set becomes a bit of a drag when you can say pretty much everything that he'll play and even say in between songs, storie's that date back to the 2003 tour!

If your seeing Macca for the first time tho, no doubt you'll come away very satisfied, he plays a good mix of Beatles, Wings and Solo material, his backing band, are very skilled and entertaining too, I'd strongly advise anyone to check Macca out live! one of the truly great musicians still at the peak of his powers! the only negatives are seeing multiple shows, the set becomes dull and predictable and also the sound for the first half of the gig, always seems to be too low!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

I'm not surprised the Hyde Park was similar as I look as the RDS wasn’t that different than O2 in December but I’m not complaining as I just thought the O2 gig was brilliant and though it could never be as good but I thought the RDS show was just as good. The set list really gives the audience a great show so I’m happy it’s not changed too much although maybe he could be accused of being lazy to make little changes to 2 shows only 6 months apart. I couldn’t fault the sound but the only thing I would be critical of is lack of a brass section – the guy blowing into the synthesizer is not the real thing particularly for tracks like “Got to get you into my life”. I’m heading over to London next weekend and if he had been playing then I would have no problems in going to see him for a third time in 6 months much as my bank balance mightn’t agree – He is a legend who is not going through the motions and I doubt if we will see him in Ireland again

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

Bill2673 wrote: »
    This gig surprised me; I thought it would be very good but it was better than I expected, I knew the songs were brilliant but I didn't expect the performance to be so good......Part of it I guess depends on the listener. I've been listening to the Beatles since I was 8, had the 62-66 cassette back then and must have listened to it a thousand times, know all the words, love the songs. The gig for me was a bit of an emotional experience. Hearing the likes of I'm seeing through you, or Blackbird, or a Day in the life......was a fantastic experience. I've seen a lot of the 'greats' in recent years.....this would have topped any of then for me. Unlike Dylan, McCartney can still sing (and I know Dylan has a lot of positive attributes live, but singing voice is fairly fundamental). Unlike the Stones, he's not just going through the motions. The only other concert I enjoyed as much was Paul Simon in Kilkenny a few years back.

A few comments: I was standing near the front of the standing area, on the right hand side of the ground. There were very few drunks around me, the sound was great. Everyone was well into the gig. For Blackbird especially, it seemed to me like there was a hush all over the stadium.

'Sing the Changes' is a class song, I would say its my favourite song of his solo career, and was brilliant on Saturday.

The segue from A Day in the Life to Give Peace a Chance was a big dud I thought, but a bit comical at the same time.

I thought his chats between songs to be quite amusing, I felt some of them at least were ad libbed (which is normally not the case)....his birthday comments for sure were; I didn't know about the bit about the guy with the sign, but thought it was very funny regardless.

I couldn't help feeling that when the guitar player was singing John's bits, that it didn't feel right.....that he felt himself like he wasn't worthy. Maybe thats me being stupid, they are only songs after all.

Agree with a lot you say as I listened to that 62-66 and 67-70 album so much when I was young – I have been to see Dylan a few times and always disappointed – McCartney’s 2 recent gigs were brilliant – saw the Stones and they were good but nowhere near Macca. And I agree that Paul Simon’s Kilkenny gig was great – The Simon and Garfunkel gig was a bit of going through the motions. Also agree with the Day in the Life comment – he should play the whole song and forget Give Peace a Chance – not a great tribute to Lennon to play 2 Lennon/McCartney songs (I believe Give Peace is L/Mc officially in songwriting) The gig was brilliant and I thought going might be a disappointment after the O2 but it was just as good

Advertisement