Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIM Cards: Are they region specific and locked to different countries?

• 02-03-2010 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I recently bought this phone from MyMemory as a backup and as you can see it comes with a Vodafone SIM card pack (O2 option also available). My question is will it work here in Ireland (the SIM card that is) because it is coming from a UK site and there is only mention of £ and p in its description. Is it a UK only SIM card or will it still work here in Ireland as normal? The phone is grand with my Meteor SIM card, I would just love to know could leave this Vodafone one in the cheap phone and just set my good phone to divert to that number when I decide to take it out somewhere. I cannot tell from looking at the outside of the packaging and don't want to break the seal opening it up to find out incase I have to sell it on! :p

Thanks in advance for your help, I genuinely really appreciate it and look forward to hearing back from ye soon. Cheers! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Well its a UK SIM and will probably work in ROI, but you'll have to pay roaming charges. Why would you want to divert your calls to a UK number while in Ireland, it would cost you two calls to the UK every time you receive a call! O2 Ireland and Vodafone will give you a SIM or even better get another Meteor one and the calls diverted might be free (Meteor or Meteor).

If all you want is to take a cheap phone on the rip just take the SIM out of the good phone and put it in the cheap phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

I didn't know it would be a UK number and liable to roaming charges, oh well thats not so good.

Also, if I did get another normal Irish SIM card I didn't think I would have to pay any fee or call charge to just have it diverted to another number. Is it not just the person who makes the call who has to pay even if it is diverted to another number (possibly on a different network than the original number) who will probably be notified by a beep or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

No, the caller is never affected, either whether you forward yours or happen to be roaming.

The diversion cost would come on your bill or from your payg credit. But I don't know if diversion is actually supported on prepaid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I got the same phone after seeing it in the cycling forum. I just got an O2 payg sim card topped up with €20 just to have some credit and going to use that rather then have to swap out my own sim card each time.

Not going to bothe rwith diverts as this is just going to be used for an emergency while on the bike. €20 was probably over kill on the topup tho.

Advertisement