Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I change the employer on my tax credit cert?

• 02-03-2010 2:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I started a new job a few months back and was a bit slow sorting out my tax credit cert. I got it today and noticed there were two employers on it, one was the crowd I'm working for and the other was my old secondary school. Now I did get a tax credit cert with my secondary school on it last year and I thought it was odd because I did do some work for them but they said they wouldn't be sorting out my taxes for me so I assumed I wouldn't need their name on my tax cert, but about a year later I was issued with a tax cert with their name on it. I didn't think too much of it because I wasn't working at the time I received the cert.

So now I have a minimum wage job I'm paying 42% tax on because I'm on emergency tax. I ordered a new cert and was surprised to see my old secondary school as well as my current employer. All my tax credits are under my secondary school and I have none for where I'm actually working. How do I sort this out and get my tax credits transferred for the job I'm actually working? I'm in college in the mornings and revenue are being dicks and wont answer phones in the afternoon (yes, even the automated phone lines are off). I applied for a PIN for PAYE anytime, can I sort it out through this?

Any and all help will be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

You'll have to maybe miss a lecture some morning then to ring them. Explain this to tell and tell them you want all your tax credits transferred to your new employer and that you want them to delete your school from your tax cert. They should be able to organise repayment of any tax you have overpaid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Give Revenue a call, but be sure to have the employers registration number (the job you're currently getting taxed 41% on) and a start date,

some other handy things, i kinda glazed over your post but if you are working 2 jobs at the moment estimate how much gross you'll be receiving each week/month.

the more info Revenue have the more your take home pay will be.

Simples

btw this week so far there was a stop on phones on tuesday from 1pm (today) and a rumored possibility of 2moro from 1pm.

PAYE phone lines kick off at 9.20 and are on constantly unless threatened by industrial action.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

And ask for a balancing statement for 2009 in case you overpaid tax last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Great thanks for the advice. I was only working 3 weeks in 2009 (started the job in December) so wasn't on emergency tax then. I'll give em a bell in the morning so, luckily I've a gap between lectures tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement

Ok so that useless shower of so and sos arent answering phones and the automated line is no help. I got a PIN for PAYE anytime but there's no way to change employers or even redistribute tax credits on it. I really need to sort this out as paying 41% on minimum wage is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

Piste wrote: »
    Hi, I started a new job a few months back and was a bit slow sorting out my tax credit cert. I got it today and noticed there were two employers on it, one was the crowd I'm working for and the other was my old secondary school. Now I did get a tax credit cert with my secondary school on it last year and I thought it was odd because I did do some work for them but they said they wouldn't be sorting out my taxes for me so I assumed I wouldn't need their name on my tax cert, but about a year later I was issued with a tax cert with their name on it. I didn't think too much of it because I wasn't working at the time I received the cert.

So now I have a minimum wage job I'm paying 42% tax on because I'm on emergency tax. I ordered a new cert and was surprised to see my old secondary school as well as my current employer. All my tax credits are under my secondary school and I have none for where I'm actually working. How do I sort this out and get my tax credits transferred for the job I'm actually working? I'm in college in the mornings and revenue are being dicks and wont answer phones in the afternoon (yes, even the automated phone lines are off). I applied for a PIN for PAYE anytime, can I sort it out through this?

Any and all help will be appreciated :)

Photo copy your tax cert, sit down and write a letter explaining just what you have told the tread,(except name calling, of course) put it in the post and in about a month it will be returned to you and everything will be A-ok.

If you follow the advice given previously it will work. Phones were off from 1pm on Friday.

If you ring from 9.20 to 1pm then you should have no problems. There might be a queue so i'd advice ringing first thing in the morning.

1890 33 34 25

Photo copy your tax cert, sit down and write a letter explaining just what you have told the tread,(except name calling, of course) put it in the post and in about a month it will be returned to you and everything will be A-ok.

No offence intended but this method will take longer as we are still currently working a backlog of post at the moment. Phoning is your best/fastest option.

The phones for PAYE ( the number i've supplied) were off on tues and fri of last week. Always after 1pm.

That's the number I rang, I got through to an automated phone line which got me to input my PPS no, then said there was an error in my request and to hold until I could speak to someone but the queue was quite long. It's expensive to keep ringing and having to listen to the whole spiel of the automated service before I can be transferred. I'd much prefer to be able to ring and speak directly with a live person.

• Advertisement

That's the number I rang, I got through to an automated phone line which got me to input my PPS no, then said there was an error in my request and to hold until I could speak to someone but the queue was quite long. It's expensive to keep ringing and having to listen to the whole spiel of the automated service before I can be transferred. I'd much prefer to be able to ring and speak directly with a live person.

In an ideal world.

You have to take into account this is a busy time of year and also with phone embargo/ people querying their claims and the backlog of post. If you're free some afternoon then ring after 4pm as the queue is essentially non existent after that time.

Might not be handy for you as you work evenings. It will take 2-5min talk time to actually deal with your affairs. I'm sure someone could cover you for 15mins?

In an ideal world.

You have to take into account this is a busy time of year and also with phone embargo/ people querying their claims and the backlog of post. If you're free some afternoon then ring after 4pm as the queue is essentially non existent after that time.

Might not be handy for you as you work evenings. It will take 2-5min talk time to actually deal with your affairs. I'm sure someone could cover you for 15mins?

It also sounds like the voice recognition software is not getting your pps correctly, my advice try and sound as neutrally accented as possible, a nice donegal or belfast impression should help with this.

Nono it understands it alright, the voice says it back to me (I try to alter my South Dublin accent to not say "aish" instead of eight :pac:) then says "there has been an error with your request, if your enquiry is in relation to correspondence with us, please bear in mind yada yada yada" then it offers to transfer me to a phone operator, but says the wait is about 7 minutes and that takes up a good bit of phone credit!

ah well there's no more advice i can offer then apart from wishing you good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

Great thanks for the advice. I was only working 3 weeks in 2009 (started the job in December) so wasn't on emergency tax then.

Ask anyway. Your income was probably so low in that year that you should have paid no tax at all.

Advertisement