Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boost wifi signal

Options
  • 02-03-2010 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

i have recently moved my office to my garage approx 15M from the house. i have an eircom (netopia) wireless router in the house with a strong signal throught out. when i use my laptop the the new office the signal is low but still useable. The problem is my P.C. says it has limited connection and i cant surf the net at all. i cant run cables from the house because of tarmac. so basically i want to know can i boost the wifi signal from my router or is there a better wirless device i can plug into my P.C. as im only using a usb pen thingy at the moment. would one of these be better? http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/store/productDetails.jsp

cheers,
    der.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

If you are on the same mains as the garage you can you the powerline adapters !
    Basically plug one into the power socket in your house beside your router.
    A ethernet patch cable goes from the router into the powerline.

Then plug another in to your power socket in your garage. and another ethernet patch cable from your powerline to your pc.
    Ta da.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Run the cable overhead, run some tying wire with it to support it and wrap the cable round it, cable tie them together to ease the strain. Then put an an access point in the garage giving You 100% coverage.
    If You set the ssid (network name) and password identical to the way they're set on the Eircom modem, Your laptop should roam between both, depending on which is stronger, just make sure the access point uses a completely different channel to the Netopia.

Advertisement