Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infinity Ward heads ousted?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Seems to me like Activision would prefer a mercenary developer like Treyarch and not a "creative" group like Infinity Ward. The original group for IW left Electronic Arts back in the days of Medal of Honor.
    I think they would be right to go and setup a new shop but this time (3rd time lucky) not get sucked up into one of the major publishers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,332 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Man, Activision have replaced EA as the horrible money obsessed overlords happy to piss off the public and pump out dross yearly updates. EA had to change their ways when people realised that they were being ripped off, Activision will end up the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Robert Kotick is dragging Activision/Blizzard down by killing innovation. It's a bizarre business strategy that can only work short term. The games industry is the fastest evolving entertainment industry in the world, paradigm shifts happen every 5 years or so. He is not interested in advancing the medium he just want to reproduce last years innovations and give it fancy new packaging to mass market to as many people as possible. Before long the company will be incapable of creating anything new or interesting and be left eating the dust of other trailblazers like valve and ea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

sink wrote: »
    Robert Kotick is dragging Activision/Blizzard down by killing innovation. It's a bizarre business strategy that can only work short term. The games industry is the fastest evolving entertainment industry in the world, paradigm shifts happen every 5 years or so. He is not interested in advancing the medium he just want to reproduce last years innovations and give it fancy new packaging to mass market to as many people as possible. Before long the company will be incapable of creating anything new or interesting and be left eating the dust of other trailblazers like valve and ea.

did anybody ever think they would hear the words 'trailblazing' and 'EA' in the same sentence?
    Hard to believe there was a time when EA were the Activision of their day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Id love to know what they did
    In an SEC filing made this morning, Activision cited a human resources investigation into "breaches of contract and insubordination by two senior employees at Infinity Ward."

Based on the information we currently have, at least one of those employees may have included Infinity Ward CTO Jason West. It's possible Vince Zampella is the other unmentioned employee.

"This matter is expected to involve the departure of key personnel and litigation," read the filing. "At present, the Company does not expect this matter to have a material impact on the Company."

Read more: http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/702911/Security-Appears-Unannounced-At-Infinity-Ward-Studio-Heads-Missing-Staff-Freaked-Out-.html#ixzz0h1D4x8iF

Looks like there will be court proceedings involved so we'll find out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd guess they wanted to try their hand at a new IP while activision just want them to keep churning out CoD games every 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I hope their next project is a major new IP and they make billions with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd guess they wanted to try their hand at a new IP while activision just want them to keep churning out CoD games every 2 years.

I say either this or since they were the heads (and probably co-founders) of IW they had some ownership stake in the CoD license itself.

Will probably get a comment from Kotick about it inbetween his weekly ritual of devouring puppy souls and counting his bonus after MW2's sales :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

And now the Studio Head/CEO is gone..

vince.jpg

EDIT: This is the closet thing we get to a soap in the gaming world... Possible name pl0x? :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

How dare they! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

http://www.bingegamer.net/2010/infinity-ward-has-not-received-royalties-for-modern-warfare-2/

Ze rabbit hole is going deeper and deeeper. IW's contract (not sure the scale of it) expires in October, and apparantly IW was in talk with another publisher tomake games for them. Since Activison owns a stake in IW, this could be seen as using Activision materials to make games for a rival publisher.

Also, rumour is that IW hasnt sen ANY of the $1 Billion MW2 earned Activison.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Since Activison owns a stake in IW, this could be seen as using Activision materials to make games for a rival publisher.

Unlike IW to do something like that again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Also, rumour is that IW hasnt sen ANY of the $1 Billion MW2 earned Activison.

Of course they haven't. IW were just the code monkeys essentially, Activision put the money forward much like a movie studio gives producers money. Movie producers never see the money a studio see's, same as record labels, banks... etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

However if there are royalties in the contract like a lot of people are saying then there's something very wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Seems like a sorry little episode - disgraceful to see IW treated like this (bouncers???) after pretty much handing Activision buckets of cash. That is the way things are going alas, and I hope those who have been fired find other work quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Awaits backlash wonder how this will affect the game and dlc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

so this is what happens eh.. they had the perfect little ecosystem of an engine to capitalize on for possibly decades, yet upset the potential lifespan of planet COD by attaining so much $$$ where greed overload ensues and so become embroiled in an embittered row with the developers, ultimately doing away w/ em? don't tell me it's going out like this. game > planet

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is anyone actually surprised that Activision will do anything, and i mean anything, to **** over anyone if it means them making money? They are, by a country mile, the biggest bunch of money hungry ****ers in the industry. Robert Kotick doesnt care what people think, he doesnt care if they release good games, he doesnt even care about his own employee's.

He cares about 1 thing; money. Which probably makes him an excellent CEO.

Even if he is a ****er. :pac:

I actually used to like activision when they started up but they have just become everything I hate about publishers in the last 4 years. I hated EA buying up studios and ruining them, and they still do, look at pandemic but I honestly think that activision at the moment is worse than EA at their worst. If it wasn't for MW2 and WoW they would be in trouble this year, Kotaku pointed that out today. Hopefully the money hungry execs that know nothing about the market will be the downfall off the company. These are the guys the green lit the Tony Hawks Ride disaster.

Please let this never happen to Capcom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I don't think they really care what anyone thinks. They know people will buy their games no matter how much bitching they do on message boards.

They also put a stop to the King's Quest 8 fan project:

http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2010/03/02/activision-shuts-down-kings-quest-fan-project/

• Advertisement

I actually used to like activision when they started up but they have just become everything I hate about publishers in the last 4 years. I hated EA buying up studios and ruining them, and they still do, look at pandemic but I honestly think that activision at the moment is worse than EA at their worst. If it wasn't for MW2 and WoW they would be in trouble this year, Kotaku pointed that out today. Hopefully the money hungry execs that know nothing about the market will be the downfall off the company. These are the guys the green lit the Tony Hawks Ride disaster.

Please let this never happen to Capcom.

Bet someone posted that years ago when EA made good games :p

http://kotaku.com/5483492/scandal-hits-call-of-duty-devs-what-we-know-%5Bupdate%5D?skyline=true&s=i

http://kotaku.com/5484046/infinity-ward-vs-activision-the-battle-for-creative-direction

Im guessing they got busted for trying to set up a new studio and had some IP belonging to IW/Activision. Hence the heavies being sent in.

EA sued them previously for stealing IP belonging to MOHAA/2015 (textures and models etc:) and won.

Once a durty dog :p

http://kotaku.com/5484026/activisions-new-plans-for-call-of-duty-include-new-developer-new-genres

Jaysus, Activision look like they're gonna milk the franchise til the cow dies a long and painful death, can't say that is surpsrising. IW probably wanted nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

http://kotaku.com/5484026/activisions-new-plans-for-call-of-duty-include-new-developer-new-genres

Jaysus, Activision look like they're gonna milk the franchise til the cow dies a long and painful death, can't say that is surpsrising. IW probably wanted nothing to do with it.

Be prepared to see Call Of Duty/Guitar Hero/Warcraft mash ups. I mean if each game sells millions on their own, a combination of all three will sell billions. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

IWnet sucks ass !!

Maybe its justice for not giving us dedi servers on the PC

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

98% of their income comes from WOW? I would be very worried, very very worried if I was CEO, if that games wain's in popularity that would spell a death knoll for IW.

98% of their income comes from WOW? I would be very worried, very very worried if I was CEO, if that games wain's in popularity that would spell a death knoll for IW.

98% of Blizzards income, not Activision as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Wow, very surprised by this. IW made them a ton of money and this is hwo they treat these guys? Oh well, looks like COD will die a slow and painful death at the hands of Activision then.

Hopefully, the ousted head can come up with a new studio, and start making some great games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

98% of Blizzards income, not Activision as a whole.

This should change after SC2 and DIII of course.

Advertisement