Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter 4 meet-up - Limerick

Options
  • 02-03-2010 10:29am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok,
    Looking at other threads, it seems like there are far more Street Fighter 4 players in the Limerick area and people willing to travel to Limerick for a meet-up than I had imagined.

Therefore, I'm going to try and run something for everyone in the area. It's almost certainly going to be a Saturday. I'm going to ring Frontier X in Cruises Street and see what their current xbox set-up is like. The have 2 huge projectors in there which would be good for finals etc.

So I just want to see who would be interested? It doesn't matter what level you are at, we can just have a day of friendly matches to start and proceed to tournaments in future.

So if you are interested, post here! Would be great to have regular events on the west-siiiiiiiiddddeeeee bayyyybeeeee greater Limerick/Shannon region.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I'd definitely head down for a larf. Wouldn't be able to for the next 3 weeks, but aside from that it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Fair play man, while I can't say for sure if I'd be able to make it, its great to see something that players at the other side of the country can get to and something that might draw more members into the community.

Respect.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Sisko wrote: »
    Fair play man, while I can't say for sure if I'd be able to make it, its great to see something that players at the other side of the country can get to and something that might draw more members into the community.

Respect.

I wouldn't be targeting any of the players that regularly attend the Dublin meet-ups just yet as I feel they would be at a level waaaaay beyond the calibur of player down here, and I think we'd need a few months to nurture the players down here before exposing to the big bad world of "proper" competative gaming.

It would be brilliant to have another big group in Ireland.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I wouldn't be targeting any of the players that regularly attend the Dublin meet-ups just yet as I feel they would be at a level waaaaay beyond the calibur of player down here, and I think we'd need a few months to nurture the players down here before exposing to the big bad world of "proper" competative gaming.

Don't put yourself down :)

If you're holding an actual tournament, I'll do my best to head down and bring the trusty doomcam so you can all have a record of it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

There's a handful of people who commute to the XGC (myself included) so it wouldn't be a hassle to attend for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I'm sure D4RK ONION will be up for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Probably wont be able to go down myself, but best of luck! Really really hope this works out and you get something good started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I'll try to head down for anything that's happening, if only as a kind of repayment to D4RK Onion for coming up here all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Jim wrote: »
    Probably wont be able to go down on myself, but best of luck! Really really hope this works out and you get something good started.

WTF? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Just recently got into figthing games, am crap. Would love to see good players in action. Since I am from Limerick, I'll come along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I'd try. It's nearer me here in Galway, though in reality, journey times to both Dublin and Limerick are probably be about the same these days. Very busy for the rest of the month, though.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I am offended, I can take all but one of those Dublin players! :P

Dude, I'm totally up for this, I can be like the Bush/Cobelcog of Limerick! "Oh no, that bastard is coming!" :D

Also, it would be cool if any of ye Dubliners travelled down. I've a couch here for one of ye. Will it be this weekend? If so I can put up posters around college for it (not that I expect there to be any Mary I players!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Having a "good players not allowed" concept isn't gonna help anyone improve man. :pac:

That said, echo what Sisko posted, would be great to have another scene set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

I'm definitely up for this! Aslong as it aint a sunday I'm always free!
    I could prob get a handful of people to go once we had a date set!

I look forward to meeting you all! Gamestop in limerick had only one competition and I was gutted to be working!

And this is probably old news but the price of SSFIV in smyths is only 29.99!

Excellent. Could we get one going for this Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

defo up for this idea!

what about having one slap bang in the midlands? easier for us all to get to maybe portlaoise?

But Limerick is exceedingly easy to get to for most of us. That's why they don't hold the Dublin ones in Tipp in the middle of the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

I'm definitely up for it this saturday! If its after 5 I can get one of me mates to come too. I promised the missus a weekend alone but I'm sure she'll understand!

Saturday afternoon is what they do in Dublin, you don't want people to be there too late, they might have plans for the evening.

If I can get an idea of how many people are coming, I can get in contact with that game place near the train/bus station. It would be just casuals so people could drop in and out at any time in the day.

. I promised the missus a weekend alone but I'm sure she'll understand!

Technically she will be alone :P

Where are these things normally held, venue wise?

• Advertisement

They are normally held in the XGC in Dublin. It's across from the Haypenny Bridge. We've never had a meet up any where else really.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    They are normally held in the XGC in Dublin. It's across from the Haypenny Bridge. We've never had a meet up any where else really.

Don't know what the XGC is. In limerick terms, whats that?

The Xtreme Gaming Centre is an internet Cafe with an upstairs area filled with PS3s and 360s. And heat.

Limerick has a gaming cafe type place near the bus station. There is also a much smaller place over near the redeptorist church/ Mary I which is a DVD shop that has 4 screens I think. Depending on the size of the turn out we could use either one.

How about on-line tourna's to determine interest?

Formats matching of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Online sucks balls.

You can't compare the fun and experience of getting a few people together for a few games. Even if there's only 6 of us, we would get lots of games in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Having a "good players not allowed" concept isn't gonna help anyone improve man. :pac:

That said, echo what Sisko posted, would be great to have another scene set up.

I totally agree that people need to face good players to improve, and this is the reason why my game has improved.

I'd be a litle concerned that alot of casual players will turn up at the inaugural event, get a beating from the major players and not return. I could be wrong about it, but that is my gut instinct.

Everyone is completely welcome to this, and I am sure we will have a great day!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

would love to get down for this! damn you future guy with such short notice ;)

Okay so, I'm going to say we get this going on Saturday. For our first meet I suggest the Movie Drome on Henry Street, small set up but could be all we need. I will call into them tomorrow and ask them what the story with pricing would be.

I can bring a copy of the game and my mediocre knowledge for other people to pick! I suggest anyone from the west tell their friends about this. If people could confirm that they're coming that will give us an idea if we need to book a bigger place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I'd be a litle concerned that alot of casual players will turn up at the inaugural event, get a beating from the major players and not return. I could be wrong about it, but that is my gut instinct.

I see what your saying but I doubt anyone that is willing to turn for a live event will be discouraged by a couple of loses. Also all of us are delightful people and will help any new players (except for Terry ;))

Advertisement