Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter 4 meet-up - Limerick

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i hope the better players will be willing to give some advice to guys coming in starting out with a view to becoming competitive? futureguy was helping me learn ryu last night on live very good advice thanks futureguy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I totally agree that people need to face good players to improve, and this is the reason why my game has improved.

I'd be a litle concerned that alot of casual players will turn up at the inaugural event, get a beating from the major players and not return. I could be wrong about it, but that is my gut instinct.

Everyone is completely welcome to this, and I am sure we will have a great day!

The people that head to the Dublin events are a pretty wide variety of levels of skill/experience as well, we're not all great or anything. :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

i hope the better players will be willing to give some advice to guys coming in starting out with a view to becoming competitive? futureguy was helping me learn ryu last night on live very good advice thanks futureguy:)

My Ryu is relatively good, I'll be happy to show you a few tricks

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

Ou that video shop is just around the corner! Handy!

I doubt anyone would complain if they got trounced.

Personally, the point is to go meet some new people and at the same time learn about the game. There isnt much point if you win every match because then you learn nothing! Though I can say this because I'll be happy if I win a round! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Would be good to get something happening. When it's decided I'll post something up on eSports.ie too...

Working Saturday so may have to give that one a miss but at least it's a sign that something could start closer to home.

And then for future RanBats, there'll be North v South v South West. Oh yes! :)

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

what about having one slap bang in the midlands?

*Cough* Westmeath *Cough* :pac:

I think me an Azza are the only two lads from Westmeath tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Technically she will be alone :P

Where are these things normally held, venue wise?

Tournaments are usually in the XGC as onion said but also Belfast too. Casual meet ups are 99% of the time held in XGC but there is also the gamenash centre in dunboyne , meath.
    Sabre0001 wrote: »

And then for future RanBats, there'll be North v South v South West. Oh yes!
    Ulster, Munster, Connacht and Leinster :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I post a call to action and the following morning, we nearly have something running already.

Thanks for all the offers of help, everyone. This really cannot fail with the amount of good will being shown. With other hobbies, I have run European Championship level, but this will be the first time I have run a fighting games event so all advice and criticism is most welcome.

I have texted a few people I met at a Gamestop SFIV event that was run over the summer and there seems to be good interest from them too.

However, I think we should keep the first one to boards.ie people to start. The reason being is that we are undecided on the venue and we do not wish to overbook without speaking to managers of the respective establishments.

There are 2 venues that are being touted the most.

The first is a movie store that has consoles to rent. I think they have 2 x Xbox and 2 x PS3 which is pretty decent and would be good to start. The second is something similar to the XGC but in my opinion is is very cramped. Howeverm, it does have about 20 Xbox and 5 PS3. It's located near the train station...does anyone have experience with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I might be on for this too. I play a noob Blanka so I probably wont be holding my own yet, but I wouldnt mind popping in.

Jumpy wrote: »
    I might be on for this too. I play a noob Blanka so I probably wont be holding my own yet, but I wouldnt mind popping in.

Everyone is welcome no matter their skill level. :)

• Advertisement

I have texted a few people I met at a Gamestop SFIV event that was run over the summer and there seems to be good interest from them too.

However, I think we should keep the first one to boards.ie people to start.

What? This forum represents the Irish fighting game community, not the boards.ie fighting game community, if they're Irish/living in Ireland, and into StreetFighter/fighting games they should be on here :D so point those lads your texting this way anyway too. :cool:

Jumpy wrote: »

You the Jumpy I played on PC yeah? Your not a nooby blanka at all, few holes in your game that'd easily be fixed for example, improve your throwing and teching game. Easy fix that'd make your blanka a lot tougher for sure.

Sisko wrote: »
    What? This forum represents the Irish fighting game community, not the boards.ie fighting game community, if they're Irish/living in Ireland, and into StreetFighter/fighting games they should be on here :D so point those lads your texting this way anyway too. :cool:

You the Jumpy I played on PC yeah? Your not a nooby blanka at all, few holes in your game that'd easily be fixed for example, improve your throwing and teching game. Easy fix that'd make your blanka a lot tougher for sure.

Thanks for that :) That was me, I dont know how I would fare against some of these guys though.

There is no reason why, in 6 months time, we arent getting 50-man tournaments down here.

@ Jumpy

No worries man the community is all about helping eachother get better. Theres a GGs thread for chatting to people you've played and theres a matchup advice thread where you'd get some heavily detailed info on match ups.

Deffo work on your throwing cause pretty early when I noticed you didnt go for throws it was something I then didnt have to worry about where as normally against a blanka I'd have to be very watchful for sneaky throws like:

light blanka ball into throw, that jump thing he does to throw and general jump in tick throws.

@ futureguy

Jaysus futureguy if thats so SF seems more popular on the east side then over here :O

Good luck and cheers for organising this stuff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Got to agree with Sisko here. You should try to grow the scene as much as possible IMO.

You never know who you might miss out on. Remember no one knew who Cobelcog was 6 months ago before lan party...

Plus when the inevitable East v West 5 v 5 happens, you'd have people to suprise us then :)

Got to agree with Sisko here. You should try to grow the scene as much as possible IMO.

You never know who you might miss out on. Remember no one knew who Cobelcog was 6 months ago before lan party...

Plus when the inevitable East v West 5 v 5 happens, you'd have people to suprise us then :)

I agree with both of you completly, we should get as many players as possible. But we need to lay the foundations first here in Limerick. Otherwise there will be absolute chaos.

I was a volunteer for a major gaming company for years and one of my main resonsibilities was to nurture player bases in different cities from scratch. I had bigger player base in Limerick than many cities in the US, so I have plenty of experience in this type of thing.

If we start small and strong, we will grow faster and retain more players. I guarantee that.

No point in 25 people turning up due to word of mouth before we have anything in stone.

@ futureguy

Jaysus futureguy if thats so SF seems more popular on the east side then over here :O

Good luck and cheers for organising this stuff.

Out of all the copies of SFIV sold in Ireland, you can be sure that there are hundreds of players who have considered meeting others to play. If only a fraction actually do, there is no reason why we cant hold big tournaments given proper notice.

Imma drop in to the moviedrome today and see what prices are like. I know it's a small set up, but it'll be good enough for say a ten person meet up with 4 people playing all the time.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    My Ryu is relatively good, I'll be happy to show you a few tricks
    cheers man whats your gamertag and ill add you? or actually you add me! please and thank you! any help is much appreciated!

Ramza wrote: »
    *Cough* Westmeath *Cough* :pac:

I think me an Azza are the only two lads from Westmeath tho
    alright ramza? what about tullamore? central to a lot of places and just off the motorway M4!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

alright ramza? what about tullamore? central to a lot of places and just off the motorway M4!

Where in tullamore could it be held tho?

Is this saturday still a possibility? Or is this for much later?

It's not a bad idea just to meet up sometime Saturday at the moviedrome, even to to have a messa round and chat of how we can build a good community down here.

I reckon we may as well pick a time and go with it. We should wait to see what D4rk Onion says about the venue and go from there. I have a window from about 1 PM-4PM to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

I totally agree that people need to face good players to improve, and this is the reason why my game has improved.

I'd be a litle concerned that alot of casual players will turn up at the inaugural event, get a beating from the major players and not return. I could be wrong about it, but that is my gut instinct.

Everyone is completely welcome to this, and I am sure we will have a great day!

Naw, If I got beat I would only want to come back for vengence - even if that took 20 tourneys....... There might be some who wouldn't but something I have noticed about SF4 players.......We are a competitive bunch of b*****ds

Just updating this thread in case any one is subbed to it and wont see the new thread. We're meeting in the Moviedrome at 1 O'Clock this Saturday the 6th.

Bring friends and stuff! More details here

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Getting ****s and giggles at the thought of this. Saturday wouldn't probably be the best day for me but id try and make it down regardless. Its also heart warming to see it being supported so well too. Here's to everyone! :D

Advertisement