Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quality difference between VGA and HDMI

• 02-03-2010 10:40am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I got a new monitor the other and plugged in the HDMI cable to hook it up to my graphics card. It looks fine, but for some reason there is no overlay using this cable - video files all display as blank, black screen (except Flash, Flash looks OK).

So I switched to a VGA cable in the meantime until I can find a solution and I have to say I can see no difference at all. Fair enough, I never got to see what HD video looks like in HDMI to compare but it really does look perfect with the VGA conenctor.

Can people generally see much of a difference, if any, between cable types?
    I could get a DVI cable and adaptor and test that but I'm beginning to wonder if it's not all a cod.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Essentially - resolutionwise there is no difference just a different form factor and HDMI can transport sound as well as video over a much smaller cable very handy as it's easier to run and not as bulky as a VGA or even DVI which can also transport sound, soon there will be a new version of HDMI released which in theory should be able to support much higher resolutions and stuff like 3D TV but as always with these things, seeing is believing.

On the blank video files I'd try messing around with the gfx card settings I'm pretty sure having the HDMI set as your primary display output requires a bit of tweaking to get everything just right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,233 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Essentially - resolutionwise there is no difference just a different form factor and HDMI can transport sound as well as video over a much smaller cable very handy as it's easier to run and not as bulky as a VGA or even DVI which can also transport sound, soon there will be a new version of HDMI released which in theory should be able to support much higher resolutions and stuff like 3D TV but as always with these things, seeing is believing.

On the blank video files I'd try messing around with the gfx card settings I'm pretty sure having the HDMI set as your primary display output requires a bit of tweaking to get everything just right.
    Thats a little misleading.

The VGA signal is analog. DVI and HDMI are Digital. You need a decent quality cable and signal to get the same picture out of VGA as you do HDMI. Even a $2 HDMI Cable will carry an excellent picture. On a poor cable, a VGA connected monitor may fuzz and flicker.

Resolution Wise its hard to find many differences. Then you have 5.1 Sound. Newer versions have 7.1 Sound and 3d Capability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Overheal wrote: »

The VGA signal is analog. DVI and HDMI are Digital. You need a decent quality cable and signal to get the same picture out of VGA as you do HDMI. Even a $2 HDMI Cable will carry an excellent picture. On a poor cable, a VGA connected monitor may fuzz and flicker.

That's a little misleading.

On a €3 VGA cable I had no quality problems at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Technicially a VGA cable will support a resolution of 2048 x 1536 @85hz. DVI is 2560 x 1600 @60hz and HDMI is 2560 x 1600 @75hz or 4096 × 2160 @24hz.

Personally, i can see no difference in a HD video using any of the cables @ 1080p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Overheal wrote: »

Resolution Wise its hard to find many differences. Then you have 5.1 Sound. Newer versions have 7.1 Sound and 3d Capability.

Point conceded, however side by side two of the same monitors outputting at the same resolution both using progressive scan but using different cables, pixel for pixel there's no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,233 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Correct. Theres no point in upgrading to HDMI for the Sake of HDMI, unless your goal is to Hook up an HDMI Set that has no VGA or DVI, etc.

Your Overlay problems OP sound like a driver issue with the card more than anything else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

HDMI is a large improvement over the analog TV standards, but VGA has also always offered much superior quality to S-Video, Coaxial, composite etc.

The quality difference between the two is minimal really

Advertisement