Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cattle Prices on the up

• 02-03-2010 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

I've been at a few marts over the last week and I'm pleased to say that cattle prices are on the up. Sold an old fat cow on saturday 650kg = €1050.

I was in Elphin yesterday with 10 Weinling heifers. 5 Belgian Blues averaged €300 with their weight (best was 305kg and sold for €815, another I bought in October for €345, I sold yesterday weighing 300kg for €705). Any heifer that's half decent is making at least €200 with their weight.

Weinling Bulls were going good and seemed to get better as the day went on. I was talking to one or 2 export buyers who said that cattle are very scarce to meet their demand this year. Well fed bull weinlings for export were bringing at least €400 with their weight, exceptional ones were €500 or €600 with their weight. Even poorer weinlings that were being bought by farmers for grass feeding were making a minimum of €300 with their weight.

Hopefully its a sign of things to come.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

what way are heavier cattle going reilig, say 2 year old type cattle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I haven't been to any marts with older cattle as I do not keep them. According to today's Farming Indo, factory prices are still pretty low. It might take a while for the price to transfer through to older cattle, but I'm confident that it will - or else the factories will get no cattle.

There were over 700 fat cows in Mohill last saturday. There are a lot of people getting out of cows and thinking about buying weinlings for feeding. I'm hoping to keep a few extra cows this year. Hopefully the lack of cows will keep the price of weinlings strong going forward.

suppose if a fella could hold on till april they are bound to improve if there is a it of grass about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

suppose if a fella could hold on till april they are bound to improve if there is a it of grass about
    thats why i cant understand the increase in prices not a blade of grass here , although i am not complaining

ground is fairly burned down my way I have to say, everywhere is brown. I suppose some of you guys have the fertilizer out already??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we pit out urea 3 weeks ago and you wouldnt even know:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

whelan1 wrote: »
    we pit out urea 3 weeks ago and you wouldnt even know:confused:

To be honest, there were probably 1500 weinlings in Elphin yesterday and I'd say that more than 1000 of them were bought for export. I was leaving at 9pm last night from the mart and there was a queue of lorries trying to get loaded - several artics and 2 double deck lorries. I have never seen so many lorries at a mart before. Grass doesn't matter to those guys as they are loading them on a ship within a week.

When grass does start to grow there should be good buying for weinlings for feeding. But the exporters may have their quotas filled by then. A lot of farmers around here are selling because they don't have feed for cattle and who knows how long it will be until we can let them out. It will definitely be May 1st before I will have grass to let mine out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

reilig wrote: »
    To be honest, there were probably 1500 weinlings in Elphin yesterday and I'd say that more than 1000 of them were bought for export. I was leaving at 9pm last night from the mart and there was a queue of lorries trying to get loaded - several artics and 2 double deck lorries. I have never seen so many lorries at a mart before. Grass doesn't matter to those guys as they are loading them on a ship within a week.

Elphin was always good for exports...

The reason cattle prices were so bad was there was too many farmers and cattle. Since some farmers were hit by recession and cattle weren't paying for themselves, cattle prices have dropped so the supply vs. demand is better. - Thats what i think is happening anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

very mixed trade nenagh last week 400 to 500kg were selling ok but the heavier cattle were sluggish and would certainly make more in the factory if they had any cover of flesh

heard a lot of the factory cold stores are full to the gills and the supermarkets are playing cat and mouse with sourcing supplies, while I haven't much sympathy for the factories if they can not move their product it is a poor outlook.

Advertisement