Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive - need to disclose details of abortions?

Options
  • 02-03-2010 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

This is quite a sensitive subject for me which is why I've gone anonomous. Basically, in my early 20's I had 2 abortions. I'm not proud of them, but it's not something I can change at this stage. My husband is fully aware of both of them.

I'm now 30 and my husband and I have decided to try for a baby. We've literally only started trying in the past month.

My question is, when I do get pregnant, is it necessary to disclose to the doctor/midwife that I had those abortions. It's not really something that I'd like to have on my medical records, but saying that if it's something they need to know then I'd like to be upfront about it in case of possible complications down the line.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You don't have to disclose if you don't want to, it is competely up to yourself.
    You medical records are private anyway and all the staff are professionals.
    You won't get pregnant was quickly at 30 then as you didn in your 20s, but at least you know that you can concieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I had an abortion when I was 19, many years later when I was expecting my first child I had my booking in visit in the Rotunda hospital. One of the midwifes was taking my history and there were two drs in training observing and when I said that I had an abortion the midwife paused and said that the two drs in training could leave if it made me feel more comfortable.

I told her no it was ok and told the dr that they would see women like me while working and would have to learn it's more common they then most people think and that a full medical history is important. They stayed, one of them asked pertinent medical question, as in how far along I was and if I was given anti D the other one said nothing and I wasn't asked why
    I had chosen to have an abortion.

When I went in to have my second all that information was on my files and I know they were read and it was never mentioned to me.

You are not the only one to have had an abortion and then go on to have children but
    if you end up having difficulty it's best that all the info is there for the drs so they don't do tests they don't need to or come to false conclusions.

OP here,

Thanks for your responses, it has cleared a few things up. It was a question that was playing on my mind, and hard when I've no-one to ask since no-one knows except myself and my husband.

I think I will disclose it, i suppose I was always afraid a nurse or someone might mention it by mistake when there are other people present (after baby is born etc), I realise now that this wouldnt happen since they are professionals.

Thanks so much for your quick replies :)

OP I recently had a miscarriage and I have two healthy kids. Like yourself, I had a termination in my 20s.

I never told anyone about my termination when I was pregnant with my two kids.
    But this time I had complications and when I was giving my medical history, I mentioned the terminations and the doctor just smiled and said 'Its difficult to say that, isn't it?'
    There was no judgement.
    She also said it's important from a medical point of view to say if you've had one as there can be issues re anti-d etc. She said it was important though. And didn't say that I HAD to tell. I felt better once I'd mentioned it.
    Again, I always use the word termination. I know it's the same thing, but the word abortion seems alot worse to me.

Hi Op, I also had a termination in my teens, I'm now in my late 20s and I miscarried a while back and I decided to disclose it to the Nurse and Doctor that were tending to me, they did not seem judgemental at all, they simply said they would put a little astrix (*) on my file and they would know what it meant when dealing with me in the future, I felt totally comfortable.. They see women in your situation all the time, just be honest it's your best bet..

Best of luck..

• Advertisement
Advertisement