Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 5530 Unwanted Data Charges

• 02-03-2010 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

I have a Nokia 5530 on O2 and I don't have a mobile internet package. This means I pay approximately €1 for each day I use mobile internet. I prefer this as I wouldn't use mobile internet every day.

However, my phone (or some app on it) automatically connects every day so I am being charged for the data. I can't work out what app is connecting. The packet data log shows that it happens and 9:25 am every morning when approx 30kB is received and 4kB is sent.

I have tried configuring all the connection settings to not automatically connect but it is still doing it.

At this rate I'd be better paying the extra €7.50 per month of the mobile internet pack.

Has anyone seen this before or can you advise how I can stop this unwanted data connection on my phone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Deleting the access points, or if you don't want to so severe a solution, changing the "Use access point" option in Settings/Connectivity to "After confirmation" would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

Onikage wrote: »
    Deleting the access points, or if you don't want to so severe a solution, changing the "Use access point" option in Settings/Connectivity to "After confirmation" would help.

I changed this setting to "After confirmation" on the "O2 Internet" access point yesterday but there was still an automatic connection this morning at 9:25 (it's always at 9:25).

However, I hadn't powered off/on the phone. I've done that now. Do you think it's necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

I think I've sussed it; it's the RSS Web Feed.

I have a number of RSS feeds, such as RTE News and the "Web Feeds" settings were configured to automatically refresh every day. I could see on the feeds that they were last refreshed at 9:25 this morning: exactly the time of the unknown data connections. I have now changed this setting to "Never" so I'll see tomorrow morning if it's worked or now (I expect it will).

The worrying part is that the Web Feeds refresh appears to disregard the "After Confirmation" I have on the "O2 Internet" access point.

This little issue has cost me about €40 over the past month and a half. So be aware!

Advertisement