Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renault bad press?

• 02-03-2010 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Posted this at the end of another thread, but its dead.

Hi lads

looking for a new car and ive heard nothing but bad reviews from two friends about Renault. so I was looking here to see what you's thought and it seems to be 50/50.

Looking at this http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault...t?channel=CARS

am i just buying problems with Renault confused.gif some of the threads are horror stories !!! do you have to be buying new to make sure you get your warrenty cos you know there are going to be problems further down the line?

Thanks for your help
    smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

RoverJames is on his way to have a word.........:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

saw his post's :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Stekelly wrote: »
    RoverJames is on his way to have a word.........:)

Ha Ha, he's a bit slow picking this one up alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

New Laguna is a reliable car, I wouldn't be worried, still 1 year left on Renault warranty on that car too. That car is way over priced though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP. Renault's reputation has improved hugely since 2005. All of their new cars are at least as reliable as a Ford or Mazda. Again, once you buy a Renault after 2005 you'll have very few problems with the car or the service.

• Advertisement

Cheers, ill be trading in so hopefully about 5k from that, so what price should I be looking to pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Still a bit early to tell on this model but so far so good with them.
    I know for a fact that there a lot better then the older models :rolleyes:.I still personaly think that 1.5 is too small for a diesel engine so the 2.0 DCi would be a better choice :)

is the car im looking at ( above link ) not a 2L ? :o

Maybe he say 150bhp and in haste read it as 1.5 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cvisser

hi looked @ the link on Carzone,

this is a peach of a car, full leather, auto, twin DVD in the back and 150 bhp, it was originally a Demo for EP Mooney and was well looked after bi it's driver, i know this, we had it for sale last year i remember had a few people on it but the then price was 30 odd grand, cant remember exactly.

hope this helps, and the lads in Redgate are a good crew.

• Advertisement

hmmm thanks for all the replys guys...just dont know if its too big of a gamble !!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭balcan

Confab wrote: »
    OP. Renault's reputation has improved hugely since 2005. All of their new cars are at least as reliable as a Ford or Mazda. Again, once you buy a Renault after 2005 you'll have very few problems with the car or the service.

Don't know about that,I've had a 05+06 Megane 1.5 DCI's as work cars,Worst cars I was ever stuck with.Both had terrible reliability.Would never buy a Renault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

gaz wac wrote: »
    is the car im looking at ( above link ) not a 2L ? :o

yea but i was just saying that the 1.5 are too small for a car of its size imo :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Am I the only one who thinks it's really sad the way RoverJames thanks every post that slags renault ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

My first transport was a 1.9 flat diesel Renault Megavan and it was a bloody nightmare of a car. Got so many problems with it that it had me heartbroken. Blown headgasket, numerous electrical problems, overheating, bits falling off, generally very rattly and seemed very poorly put together. Apart from being poor mechanically it seemed a thinny sort of car and the handling was woeful. Seemed heavy enough on fuel too considering it was a diesel. I remember needing to clutch start the car a few times before I replaced the battery. It was quite alarming to see that people pushing the car put the boot lid out of alignment and dented the bonnet and it wasn't like they were pushing it up hill. My second car was a hatchback Toyota Corolla and it was just alarming the difference in terms of reliability and driveability.

Perhaps Renaults have improved of late as another poster suggested but I certainly wouldn't be inclined to drive one again in a hurry. Mine was an old basic engine that you would imagine not a whole lot can go wrong with so wouldn't like to imagine the kind of problems you might be looking at potentially with a modern high tec Renault engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

SV wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks it's really sad the way RoverJames thanks every post that slags renault ?

I just find it amusing that someone with a slightly OTT obsession with the worst and oldest car (Rover 400/MG ZS) in the range of a defunct car brand that even the Brits stopped buying has the balls to continuously slag off Renault. Yes, I know the K-series was a zingly little engine with great power but it blew head gaskets like there's no tomorrow. And whilst I can see the attraction in ZTs/75s (really:o), the aforementioned ZS/400 is a joke. It was medioce even when my dad had one back in the mid 90s.

The jurys out on Renault for me. From what I hear the new Laguna is a big improvement but it's relatively early days. To suggest post-05 cars are OK is waaayy OTT. I'd say wait a few years and see if post 08 models hold together.

OP here,

Was talking to my dads friend, who has been working with Renault for somthing like 20-30 years and he even told me not to touch them:eek:. he said the eletrics are just to tempermental and that he siad the only reason he has one is because its a company car and gets it fixed for free. Said that in the end, my mecanic will be my best friend !! So have decieded not to get one. Think ill stick with a Nissan Cashcow or a Tyota Avensis. Thanks again for all your comments :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Think ill stick with a Nissan Cashcow

A Renault as well no? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

OP here,

Was talking to my dads friend, who has been working with Renault for somthing like 20-30 years and he even told me not to touch them:eek:. he said the electrics are just to tempermental

and Renault are leading the way in electric cars oh oh:cool:

I imagine your dads friend is the type of person to tell you never to buy a Fiat or Skoda either.

• Advertisement

pburns wrote: »
    I just find it amusing that someone with a slightly OTT obsession with the worst and oldest car (Rover 400/MG ZS) in the range of a defunct car brand that even the Brits stopped buying has the balls to continuously slag off Renault. Yes, I know the K-series was a zingly little engine with great power but it blew head gaskets like there's no tomorrow. And whilst I can see the attraction in ZTs/75s (really:o), the aforementioned ZS/400 is a joke. It was medioce even when my dad had one back in the mid 90s.

Just to correct you, where do you get the impression I have an obsession with 400 / ZS ?? First I heard of it. The 400 was far more reliable than the Megane of the same vintage. I have owned one 400 that you speak of, a diesel with an L series engine. Do you honestly think a Megane from the 90s was more reliable than a 400 of the same era ?

A poster here has commented how his Dad's friends who works with Renaults for 30 years and who has one as a company car wouldn't recommend one and yet that info is sneered on by Jip with a comment that the same chap no doubt wouldn't recommed a Fiat or Scoda, what's that about. Countless folk on boards remark that they wouldn't touch a Renault and that they have had one and it has given loads of trouble.

On of the folks who goes around claiming the new ones are fine sells them ffs, hardly unbiased. Jip hasn't even has his collected yet.

SV wrote: »

I thank posts that quite often are factual owner experiences. I think your post is a bit sad to be honest :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular but change the fcukin record. Threads constantly descending into tit for tat:mad:

If you mention Renault are not reliable you get raped on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Just to bring soem rational to this, here is a copy of the JD power survey by based on car ownership for 2009..... Renault arent the worst as rated by owners but they are very low down on the list...

jd-power-man-09.png

The 2009 ones mustn't be bombproof so, they will be up there at the top next year no doubt as the new ones are fine ;)

RoverJames wrote: »
    Jip hasn't even has his collected yet.

And I'm not going around saying how great they are am I ? I just find it ridiculous the attitude of people to a certain marque based on models from the 90s and a dodgy few from the last 10 years which Renault and their dealers themselves admit were of poor quality.

As I said, if this attitude prevailed the only cars we'd be buying are some of the top marques and Toyota and Nissan, how boring a world with that be, and from now on I expect these people not to recommend a Toyota to anyone.

You're an odd ball though, you thank people for giving out about how these threads descend and yet your very next post you simply continue on with it, why do you even bother with the thanks if you don't know what the post is about you're thanking ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The 2009 ones mustn't be bombproof so, they will be up there at the top next year no doubt as the new ones are fine ;)

You'll have to stop recommending Kia's and Ford's, they are below average junk. We all know below average isnt good enough. :)

Not to mention all those Mitsubishi's, Hyundai's and Suzuki's that are broken down all over the country.

Stekelly wrote: »
    You'll have to stop recommending Kia's and Ford's, they are below average junk. We all know below average isnt good enough. :)

I'd recommed them over the Renault ;)

• Advertisement

Jip wrote: »

You're an odd ball though,

Less of the personal abuse please, I have no doubt you wouldn't chance it in real life so no need to do so behind the PC :)

Again with the thanks and bull**** posts, you're obviously a troll.

Jip wrote: »
    you're obviously a troll.

If you look at my posts many of them are quite helpful so I'm hardly a troll :)
    Please refrain from the personal abuse Jip.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

had 2 versions of the old type megane (1.4 16v and 1.5 dci). mpg was very good on 1.5dci, around 55. but on both cars had trouble with indicators and windows. electrics seem to be a problem but don't know if it has been corrected in new model.

bought an focus recently - not a problem so far....

If you look at my posts many of them are quite helpful so I'm hardly a troll :)
    Please refrain from the personal abuse Jip.

You are in this context, and it's obvious to everyone. And to use your broken down record refrain, if you have any problems with my posts report them.

However there's no personal abuse in what I said, I said your posts in these threads are bull****, not you. You're simply trying to wind people up by thanking every post they make, very childish really and it would be funny if you weren't so convinced that you know better than everyone else on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

@ RoverJames - I think you've made your point regarding your opinion of Renaults quite clearly by this stage, maybe it's time to give it a rest.:)

@ the rest of you - if you feel that someone is trolling then don't feed the trolll.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    @ RoverJames - I think you've made your point regarding your opinion of Renaults quite clearly by this stage, maybe it's time to give it a rest.:)

I think I shall :)

Mods, can you ban the 'Thank you' button for week? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

OP here,

So have decieded not to get one. Think ill stick with a Nissan Cashcow or a Tyota Avensis. Thanks again for all your comments :)

Just to let you know that most of the bits you cant see on the Nissan are infact made by Renault i.e diesel engine , platform, lots of electrical switches and wiring looms. ;)

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Just to let you know that most of the bits you cant see on the Nissan are infact made by Renault i.e diesel engine , platform, lots of electrical switches and wiring looms. ;)

And the Qashqai was 11th overall in the 2009 JD Power customer satisfaction survey, go figure.

So im still on the hunt !?!? :)

• Advertisement

So im still on the hunt !?!? :)

Despite what you've read in this thread and probably on other threads, Renaults from 2005 onwards are fine ,hence the Qashqai gives very little trouble.

Despite what you've read in this thread and probably on other threads, Renaults from 2005 onwards are fine

Not so. We have a 2006 facelift Megane which still suffers the window reg problem ( 2 replaced) which was a known issue from very early on, I believe they never modified the part either. Crap like that cost Renault dear but it appears they have learnt from it. Other than that the car has been reliable.

Oh, and the Focus has gone into a limp mode twice, undiagnosed, and the stereo twice has not switched on, only a restart of the car solves it, I think electrical problems and cars go hand in hand these days.

and the stereo twice has not switched on, only a restart of the car solves it, I think electrical problems and cars go hand in hand these days.

We have a Vectra that does similar, only when I seem to drive it though, it will either come on extra loud or else all distorted, a switch on and off doesn't correct it, a restart is also required.

Not so. We have a 2006 facelift Megane which still suffers the window reg problem ( 2 replaced) which was a known issue from very early on, I believe they never modified the part either. Crap like that cost Renault dear but it appears they have learnt from it. Other than that the car has been reliable.

That's true but in fairness it is a throw back to a part from an older generation car. Thats about it though with Meganes of the era.

Every car has a fault of some sort from VW Diesel pumps and door locks, Toyota accelerator pedals and diesel injectors to Citroen ABS sensors causing fires and Nissan 2.5 Diesels in the Navara and Merc Sprinter Diesel engines blowing up. Nothing on the market is without fault ;)

Nothing on the market is without fault ;)

Very true, did someone say BMW cooling systems, a weak spot for 30 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

I have driven renaults for years, I currently drive an 04 laguna, I like the car for it's comfort more than anything. While I have never had any major problems with them, they have never inspired confidance like a toyota, they do give iritating problems paricularly with electrics. But I think mechanically they are quite reliable.

-nevermind, seen Anan1s post-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

I'm thinking of getting Renault Clio 99 as my first car !! bad idea ?????!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

no

Nope, very good car to learn in.
    Tis where I started!

• Advertisement
Advertisement