Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renault bad press?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

SV wrote: »
    Nope, very good car to learn in.
    Tis where I started!

^^^^^^

He loved it so much he came back for sloppy seconds:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

thanks ! getting a bit worried there wit al the bad reviews renault is getting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

And the Qashqai was 11th overall in the 2009 JD Power customer satisfaction survey, go figure.

I highlighted the relevant bits, the JD Power Survey DOES NOT measure reliability(the 3 series has always done very well in these surveys and we know how reliable the turbos in these are), it simply measures how well a car lived up to its owners expectations, nothing more, nothing less;)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not so. We have a 2006 facelift Megane which still suffers the window reg problem ( 2 replaced) which was a known issue from very early on, I believe they never modified the part either. Crap like that cost Renault dear but it appears they have learnt from it. Other than that the car has been reliable.

Oh, and the Focus has gone into a limp mode twice, undiagnosed, and the stereo twice has not switched on, only a restart of the car solves it, I think electrical problems and cars go hand in hand these days.

Would you not be incliined to think there might be a fault with the radio? AFAIK they are a Phillips unit, was never a big fan of their car radios. Or possibly the switched live is loose?

Althouh if it only hapened twice your probably best off leavign it be:)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭anneboleyn

Love Renualt - wouldn't buy anything else.. never had a problem with one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

apparently the problem with renaults, so i'm told, is the electrical side !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Stekelly wrote: »
    Would you not be incliined to think there might be a fault with the radio? AFAIK they are a Phillips unit, was never a big fan of their car radios. Or possibly the switched live is loose?

Althouh if it only hapened twice your probably best off leavign it be:)

It is the Sony unit, actually very good when its not going rogue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

(JD Power) it simply measures how well a car lived up to its owners expectations, nothing more, nothing less!

Well, a little more. It factors satisfaction with dealers in along with the car, so Toyota with good dealers gets a boost, and Alfa with rubbish dealers takes a hit.

Personally, I think this is an entirely separate question from how happy I am with a car.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have had 4 Renaults, whist I applaud their design and comfort I cannot say the same regarding their build quality, blown head gasket on a 3 year old, double failing on windows after 4 years at €300 a pop, failed emmissions after 4 years @ €700, fallen exaugst (sic) twice, poor starter, underpowered, replacing various parts, breakdowns and loads more I don't care to remember.
    All this on a well serviced basis and non-abused cars on good roads.
    Glad to spend the money last year and change to Ford C-Max and Toyota Avensis, cost me but no issues to date.
    Will never but a Renault again, never, just look at their resale values.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Slave1, was it a petrol or diesel?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Megane petrol and Scenic petrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Hi

Just to follow up on my OP, went to look at a Quashqui at the weekend and found this http://www.carzone.ie/search/Nissan/Qashqai/***-SOLD/201006196854915/advert?channel=CARS

put a small, fully refundable deposit on it until my mechanic has a look at it.

What do you's think ?

Cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Not so. We have a 2006 facelift Megane which still suffers the window reg problem ( 2 replaced) which was a known issue from very early on, I believe they never modified the part either. Crap like that cost Renault dear but it appears they have learnt from it. Other than that the car has been reliable.

I have the exact same problem - window regs gone multiple times on an 06 Megane - apart from that very nice car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Lads, what is a normal warranty on a secondhand car? 3 or 6 months? Mechanic due to look at the above Nissian today :) hope its ok, Mrs Wac has her heart set on it now !!

thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

That Nissan will be hard to sell in a few years. Big engine limits market, the auto may have the same affect. Not particularly cheap either...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Seen a 10 MH reg Clio on the hard shoulder of the M2 yesterday with an AA guy underneath it....could have been anything that was wrong I know but it didn't give a good impression to the passers-by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Could be anything, can a petrol nozzle fit into a diesel neck ? As the majority of these are diesel I would think many people who have gone from only every driving petrol to a diesel will not think when they're filling up and go to the petrol pump as normal, it's something that's crossed my mind before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

From the position of the AA guy i.e underneath it looked like a loose exhaust. Might have hit debris on the road etc. Thing is the ill informed passers-by will think its another broken down Renault. Sometimes this is how bad reputations are made unfortunately

the majority of 10 reg clio are diesel, really ? It it was the case that someon did put petrol in a diesel clio the aa dude wouldn have much reason to be under it so it more than likely just broke down, as said it could be anything.

Ahem, I said it could be anything, the rest was an observation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

My sis has a Renault Megane Cabriolet.
    Never gave her any trouble...

Though she's a little stuck with the car now as the resale value for it is awful.
    And so she's gotta run it to the ground first before she decides to sell it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Jip wrote: »
    As the majority of these are diesel....

Oh no they're not.

Only 5.3% of Clios reg'd till the end of Feb were diesel, 90.5 were Flexifuel and the rest were conventional petrol.

http://www.motorcheck.ie/blog/monthly-stats/?y=2010&from=1&to=12&county=&make=renault&model=clio&import=&compare=&cat=1

I see, don't know where I got that figure from, I thought I saw in one of those motorcheck reports that the large percentage of Renaults sold where diesel :confused:

Edit: Ah, it was the Megane I was mixing it up with, 98.3% being diesel.

Jip wrote: »
    Ahem, I said it could be anythin
    i know you did, i agreed with you on that bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

gaz wac wrote: »
    Lads, what is a normal warranty on a secondhand car? 3 or 6 months? Mechanic due to look at the above Nissian today :) hope its ok, Mrs Wac has her heart set on it now !!

thanks again

Depends on the garage/car. Make sure to read the warranty terms & conditions properly before parting with any money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

furtzy wrote: »
    From the position of the AA guy i.e underneath it looked like a loose exhaust. Might have hit debris on the road etc. Thing is the ill informed passers-by will think its another broken down Renault. Sometimes this is how bad reputations are made unfortunately

My cousin managed to run over half a cone the other day on the M50 in his 07 clio. Made lots of crunching noises but he seems to have gotten away with it. He reckons it blew out in front of him :) He should really have pulled in somewhere to make sure ,but sure RoverJames might have seen him and bemoaned Renaults then.:P

It would take some fairly serious debris to knock an exhaust off a mount or break a mount to be honest lads :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 boardmember1

I dont know where all the negativity is coming from about Renaults. I have had a 99 Laguna now for about 5 years and apart from wear and tear leading to problem with the door handle, rear window heater going and an air bag light on(probably a fuse), it is the most reliable car I have ever owned.

And I have had some junkers, particularly Rovers with head gaskets blowing and overheating all the time. You would have to have one eye on the temperature gauge everytime you drove anywhere in them.

I did have a clio and a megane and the only issue I had was a bearing going on the megane, but again that can be wear and tear.

I am buying a 2010 Grand Megane now but the issue I have is the delay in receiving it. Renaults may have little problems like the indicator lights turning off when you brake which I know was happening, but as another post has said, all cars have issues, as far as I am concerned if the engine is ok and the only problem you have is a small electrical one or wear and tear, you should think yourself lucky, whats worse is a huge bill for a head gasket like was definitely the case with Rovers!

Advertisement