Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayor Kevin Kiely vs. Good Friday

Options
  • 02-03-2010 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Pubs-angry-about-loss-of.6113729.jp

Mayor Kiely has criticised the "outdated" and "stupid" laws which prevent alcohol being served on Good Friday.
    "We have to move on from this situation. As far as I am concerned, these laws are outdated and ridiculous, and if we have to compete as a modern European city, we have to forget about these stupid laws," he said.

No big secret that this fella has many connections in the pub trade as he used to own one of the roughest pubs in the city (Treaty Bar).. But to challenge our laws for the price of a pint!! This guy needs to go.. along with the rest who are ruining this town from city hall..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Just goes to show how far they will go for the price of a pint and a rugby match.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

He is obviously reaching for the populist angle without doing some research. The man is a goon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Whats the problem?

He is right. Now that the Church and State are supposedly separated, there is no place for Catholic based laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

I agree, although, I have no problem with god believers being banned from pubs on good Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

I agree, although, I have no problem with god believers being banned from pubs on good Friday.

yeah but so are every one else, what are the odds that there will be many a person with beer and spirits for sale along the side of the streets on that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

flutered wrote: »
    yeah but so are every one else, what are the odds that there will be many a person with beer and spirits for sale along the side of the streets on that day.

High, very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

flutered wrote: »

It would be a good opportunity for the more enterprising types, maybe the Kelly's will transfer their 'licence' for the day!

Jumpy wrote: »
    Whats the problem?

He is right. Now that the Church and State are supposedly separated, there is no place for Catholic based laws.

fair enough.. its not the changing of the laws that im touching on.. its the idea that one man should think he can speak for everyone and just abolish a law..

Stab*City wrote: »
    fair enough.. its not the changing of the laws that im touching on.. its the idea that one man should think he can speak for everyone and just abolish a law..

But it's a Munster match...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

listen this should all be in the other thread since its the exact same arguement.

but if you are religious DONT GO TO THE PUB ON GOOD FRIDAY

by argueing that the pub should be closed on good friday it says more about the religious that they cant stay out of an open pub than it does about us souless pagens:D

its a ridiculous law. we are a multicultural society. we have jewish, christian, muslim and even scientologists in this country. why does one religion rule the others??? i wonder if Italy and Spain close their pubs on good friday??

if i switch to scientology can i go to the pub on good friday?? ill do it!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Isn't that what politicians do? Speak for the people?
    If this went to some kind of vote the law would be abolished in a landslide victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Paulegend wrote: »

if i switch to scientology can i go to the pub on good friday?? ill do it!!!!!!!

After paying the join up fee you won't be able to afford a pint :p

Roadend wrote: »
    After paying the join up fee you won't be able to afford a pint :p
    :D well christianity started that way

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Of course he's right and I'd imagine he's speaking for the vast majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Poor Kevin Kiely in my opinion really seems like the sort of Person with a big mouth and too many poorly founded opinions.

He has probably spent a lifetime bleating his small-time, small-world opinions to the disinterested and unfortunate People around him & is now just unlucky that he (somehow?) became Mayor - thus allowing his opinions to be printed in the Media and show him up publicly as an Idiot.

- It embarrassing.

Paulegend wrote: »
    listen this should all be in the other thread since its the exact same arguement.

but if you are religious DONT GO TO THE PUB ON GOOD FRIDAY

by argueing that the pub should be closed on good friday it says more about the religious that they cant stay out of an open pub than it does about us souless pagens:D

its a ridiculous law. we are a multicultural society. we have jewish, christian, muslim and even scientologists in this country. why does one religion rule the others??? i wonder if Italy and Spain close their pubs on good friday??

Listen this thread is not about the law, the munster match, religon or italy or spain its about kevin kiely.. please keep thread on topic..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Raiser wrote: »
    Poor Kevin Kiely in my opinion really seems like the sort of Person with a big mouth and too many poorly founded opinions.

He has probably spent a lifetime bleating his small-time, small-world opinions to the disinterested and unfortunate People around him & is now just unlucky that he (somehow?) became Mayor - thus allowing his opinions to be printed in the Media and show him up publicly as an Idiot.

- It embarrassing.

Amazing how it has become a regular trend with Limerick mayors. Still it would not be fair on the poor dears to get the position based on actual ability.

Although this time he has managed to touch on a subject where what he has said bears some merit. The idea of pubs being shut to all people because of one religion regardless of whether the people suscribe to that religion or not is ridiculous in this day and age.

Almost as ridiculous as a bishop asking church goers to donate money to go towards the cost of legal fees for Clerical abusers, and to help the church pay for the compensation deals for the abused.. Oh wait that was on the radio today as having happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Pubs-angry-about-loss-of.6113729.jp

Mayor Kiely has criticised the "outdated" and "stupid" laws which prevent alcohol being served on Good Friday.
    "We have to move on from this situation. As far as I am concerned, these laws are outdated and ridiculous, and if we have to compete as a modern European city, we have to forget about these stupid laws," he said.

No big secret that this fella has many connections in the pub trade as he used to own one of the roughest pubs in the city (Treaty Bar).. But to challenge our laws for the price of a pint!! This guy needs to go.. along with the rest who are ruining this town from city hall..

I agree with him, not being able to drink on Good Friday is ludicrous in this day and age, its a relic from when we were all Holy God fearing luddites , the church should have ZERO say in any laws in the 21st century. I dont believe in god and i dont drink so I couldnt care less if the pubs are open 365 days a year as it doesnt affect me, but I dont like being told I cant go hang out with friends in a pub on acertain day because some religious people think that having a sip of whiskey on one friday out of the year is gonna make baby Jesus cry

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Pubs-angry-about-loss-of.6113729.jp"We have to move on from this situation. As far as I am concerned, these laws are outdated and ridiculous, and if we have to compete as a modern European city, we have to forget about these stupid laws," he said.

If we have to compete as a modern European city we are rightly F**KED!!!:D

Between the litter on the by-pass, the holes in the road, the scumbags, the politicians and the pyjamas gangs what has the city come too?:eek:

krudler wrote: »
    I agree with him, not being able to drink on Good Friday is ludicrous in this day and age, its a relic from when we were all Holy God fearing luddites , the church should have ZERO say in any laws in the 21st century. I dont believe in god and i dont drink so I couldnt care less if the pubs are open 365 days a year as it doesnt affect me, but I dont like being told I cant go hang out with friends in a pub on acertain day because some religious people think that having a sip of whiskey on one friday out of the year is gonna make baby Jesus cry

I agree 100% im a non drinker too and could care less aboout the law.. i was more trying to discuss our mayor..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

If we have to compete as a modern European city we are rightly F**KED!!!:D

Between the litter on the by-pass, the holes in the road, the scumbags, the politicians and the pyjamas gangs what has the city come too?:eek:

Limerick is not a modern town or city to European standard. That is just a tagline that gets banded about when people want to avoid discussing the empty units and growing dole lines.

It is a bit like the city council statement yesterday that Town retailers would be better off focussing on doing something about the boarded up units that don't belong to them than going on about parking prices and the lack of footfall.

In other words the city coucil want to have to do nothing about the boarded up units and want the retailers who don't even own or use those units to do it for them.

I seriously think we need to organise a protest outside city hall about the way this place is being run into the ground... is there anybody down there in city hall who has actually done anything but run their big mouths in the last year? City hall cares more about a pint on match day than they do about the city centre turning into a ghost town..

I seriously think we need to organise a protest outside city hall about the way this place is being run into the ground... is there anybody down there in city hall who has actually done anything but run their big mouths in the last year? City hall cares more about a pint on match day than they do about the city centre turning into a ghost town..

exactly. besides make sure that lights are working, cameras are working, pass planning permission for roads and get projects rolling that bloody council are doing nothing

its all Kielys fault:rolleyes:

The irony is that Pubs still close in Ireland on Good Friday precisely because the Country is run by small time, old fashioned, ineffectual, half arséd Public Officials like our sham Mayor Kevin Kiely.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

He was just on Newstalk. He has a point, but didn't articulate it very well. They had a guy on who was in favour of fasting on Good Friday to balance the argument, and he came across much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Why are we not allowed drink on good Friday?

Religion.

Pub's should be allowed open on Good Friday and Christmas day and any other day for that matter. Although he is not a good public speaker his point is important.

The only problem is that his reason's for it are linked to his desire for business's to make money from the match on good friday rather than being a suggestion for the greater good of the economy / rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

I suppose Kiely is trying to keep his name in the local media as much as possible seeing as he will be handing over the mayoral chains in a few months - his time in the spotlight will be over then.

Anyone know who is next in line? Another FGer?

Mr E wrote: »
    He was just on Newstalk. He has a point, but didn't articulate it very well. They had a guy on who was in favour of fasting on Good Friday to balance the argument, and he came across much better.

When your opponent on the national airwaves can outspeak you in presenting the view that non-practising Catholics, Muslims, Buddhists, Atheists and Whoever else shouldn't be able to relax and enjoy a pint in their local simply cause his imaginary, supernatural, Superhero Friend from ~2000 years ago just mightn't like it then its time to shut up and say nothing at all.......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I suppose Kiely is trying to keep his name in the local media as much as possible seeing as he will be handing over the mayoral chains in a few months - his time in the spotlight will be over then.

Anyone know who is next in line? Another FGer?
    Really? I wasn't aware of that, good news all the same. Someone with a bit of intelligence would make a nice change.

• Advertisement

Aidric wrote: »
    Someone with a bit of intelligence would make a nice change.

I think it stays within the city council.

Advertisement