Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayor Kevin Kiely vs. Good Friday

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I'd be careful using the "********" word, if I were you. We don't want Boards getting sued for libel, do we?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thread renamed to something less litigious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Paulegend wrote: »
    exactly. besides make sure that lights are working, cameras are working, pass planning permission for roads and get projects rolling that bloody council are doing nothing

its all Kielys fault:rolleyes:

Dont know where you live bud but the lights on my street were not working for months.. and why plan new roads when they cant even fill in the ones outside my door.. if you call the oprea centre and the regeneration project "rolling" you must be going in reverse.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Stab*City wrote: »
    Dont know where you live bud but the lights on my street were not working for months.. and why plan new roads when they cant even fill in the ones outside my door.. if you call the oprea centre and the regeneration project "rolling" you must be going in reverse.:rolleyes:

maybe i am:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

maybe you are.. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Aidric wrote: »
    Really? I wasn't aware of that, good news all the same. Someone with a bit of intelligence would make a nice change.

a city counciller a f.f.er, with intelligence ? now that would be breaking the mould

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭manna452121

Micheal Hourigan is in line to be the next mayor.Joe Duffy also had a chat about the match and thursday is being mentioned if the teams agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Tom O'Donnell has the power to grant a five hour allowance for the pubs on Good Friday according to the paper.

7-12 seems fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

"We have to move on from this situation. As far as I am concerned, these laws are outdated and ridiculous, and if we have to compete as a modern European city, we have to forget about these stupid laws," he said.

Is this the same Kiely who wanted to send the unemplyed EU forrengers home not to long ago?

What a muppet!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The question that you must ask yourself is this: do we still get the day off if we're allowed to drink on that day. At the moment, the two days that pubs are closed, we also don't have work.

Also, I'm thinking he doesn't like "house party Friday" :D - great for the offie trade, bad for the pub owners... great for those who work in pubs, as they were sometimes off work. By sometimes, I mean that some nightclubs would open at midnight...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

When you work in the bar industry, Good Friday and Christmas Day are a relief! Cancelled out by New Years and Paddies Day unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Pubs-angry-about-loss-of.6113729.jp

Mayor Kiely has criticised the "outdated" and "stupid" laws which prevent alcohol being served on Good Friday.
    "We have to move on from this situation. As far as I am concerned, these laws are outdated and ridiculous, and if we have to compete as a modern European city, we have to forget about these stupid laws," he said.

No big secret that this fella has many connections in the pub trade as he used to own one of the roughest pubs in the city (Treaty Bar).. But to challenge our laws for the price of a pint!! This guy needs to go.. along with the rest who are ruining this town from city hall..

He's not wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

Tom O'Donnell has the power to grant a five hour allowance for the pubs on Good Friday according to the paper.

7-12 seems fair enough.
    Who is this tom O Donnell, how does he have these powers, and how do I get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

the_syco wrote: »
    The question that you must ask yourself is this: do we still get the day off if we're allowed to drink on that day. At the moment, the two days that pubs are closed, we also don't have work.

Good Friday isn't a public holiday in Ireland. I'd say there are few companies (apart from pubs) where employees have the day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭manna452121

Tom O Donnell is a local judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Paulegend wrote: »
    listen this should all be in the other thread since its the exact same arguement.

but if you are religious DONT GO TO THE PUB ON GOOD FRIDAY

by argueing that the pub should be closed on good friday it says more about the religious that they cant stay out of an open pub than it does about us souless pagens:D

its a ridiculous law. we are a multicultural society. we have jewish, christian, muslim and even scientologists in this country. why does one religion rule the others??? i wonder if Italy and Spain close their pubs on good friday??

if i switch to scientology can i go to the pub on good friday?? ill do it!!!!!!!

I enjoyed a couple of pints in Rome last Christmas day so I doubt that the close on Good Friday. In Spain they certainly don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I don't think the argument of the economic repercussions or the ban argument holds up. The ban should be lifted because it is completely asinine. Even if our local economy is booming it should be lifted. Not everyone is a Catholic, their right to go to the pub should not be taken away from them on the grounds of a law based in religion.

On a more general note, I think people are generally sick of the involvement of the church in our government. Most are in favour of the separation of church and state. It is the 21st century after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

magma69 wrote: »
    I don't think the argument of the economic repercussions or the ban argument holds up. The ban should be lifted because it is completely asinine. Even if our local economy is booming it should be lifted. Not everyone is a Catholic, their right to go to the pub should not be taken away from them on the grounds of a law based in religion.

On a more general note, I think people are generally sick of the involvement of the church in our government. Most are in favour of the separation of church and state. It is the 21st century after all.

Surely the only sane, just and "Christian" in the valid sense of the word solution is for the Church to sell all of their Land, Churches and assorted Property so that they can at least begin to try and adequately compensate their Victims of physical and sexual abuse.

- I'd like to see a for sale sign on every Church and Convent in the Land and for People to be spiritual on their own initiative if they so please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

the irony of it all is that before the council meeting they had a "silent prayer"

think they do this at every meeting.

Advertisement