Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Roaming / UK SIM

• 02-03-2010 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I'm going to London in a few weeks for several days. I am on Meteor, using a HTC Hero. Give the costs of data use on roaming I wonder if it would be cheaper to pick up a PAYG UK SIM and use that for data while I'm there. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

A pay as you go 3 Ireland sim would do, just buy the 1GB top up for €10 before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mossie

A pay as you go 3 Ireland sim would do, just buy the 1GB top up for €10 before you go.

Thanks. Will try that.

mossie wrote: »
    Thanks. Will try that.

I ordered a free sim from three (irl) on 2 March, still has not arrived. I seem to remember doing the same before and never receiving one. Would it be possible for me to walk into a three (or O2, vodafone etc) store in London when I go there and get a free sim or are those only for UK residents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

I ordered a free sim from three (irl) on 2 March, still has not arrived. I seem to remember doing the same before and never receiving one. Would it be possible for me to walk into a three (or O2, vodafone etc) store in London when I go there and get a free sim or are those only for UK residents?

I know you can get an Asda mobile sim without any bother in a bricks and mortar store - I was looking at their rates online and they seem pretty good for both calls and data.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭plu

Ask in 3 store for sim and top up. Sim should be free with top up. It takes maybe a month for the free 3 sim to arrive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

OK, thanks. I'll try this I think. Ordered one now. Will I need to enter the connection details on the phone or will it pick them up from the sim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I would second the Vodafone IRL option.

Just to note though.. I flew into Stansted there a few weeks back and they were giving out O2 SIMs as I came into arrivals .. you'll get them handy enough over there anyway.

I don't see you needing more than a Vodafone SIM though. Use www.cabbagetexter.com for sending your SMS too.

Random wrote: »
    I would second the Vodafone IRL option.

Just to note though.. I flew into Stansted there a few weeks back and they were giving out O2 SIMs as I came into arrivals .. you'll get them handy enough over there anyway.

I don't see you needing more than a Vodafone SIM though. Use www.cabbagetexter.com for sending your SMS too.

Thanks I also got a 3 sim so should be ok.

Advertisement