Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAG week! What are you excited about?

Options
  • 02-03-2010 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

Saturday the 6th of March 2010

Bucket collection in Temple bar, come along and help out for the day and have a blast while rasing money for crumlin.

Monday the 8th of March 2010

Sponsored Swim & Dive @ 40ft
    • BUS leaving BST & AST Mon morning returning Mon afternoon
    • Fancy dress encouraged
    • Sponsorship cards & further inf...o from your local DITSU Office

DJ Woody AV Show @ Twisted Pepper
    • Full DJ & AV Show
    • Doors @ 10pm
    • Tickets €5 presales, €8 on the door
    • Student-friendly drinks prices
    • ROAR, Gov ID essential

Tuesday 9th of March 2010

Freefall in AST courtyard
    • First time in Ireland
    • DIT Exclusive
    • 10am to 4pm
    • Min €100 sponsorship required
    • Sponsorship cards & further info from your local DITSU Office
    • Limited places remaining

Doctors & Nurses 90s Night @ D2
    • Doors @ 10pm
    • Prizes for best dressed doctors and nurses!
    • Feat Smash Hits 90s Band LIVE
    • DIT DJ Soc spinning ALL your fav 90s tracks
    • ROAR, Gov ID essential

Wed 10th of 2010

Charity Street Collection on Grafton Street
    • In aid of Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin
    • 9am to 6pm
    • Do however many hours you can! It all helps.
    • You’ll get a warm fuzzy feeling AND tickets for ‘Headphones & Heels’ and ‘Farmers Ball’

Headphones & Heels VIP Party night @ Dandelion
    • Feat DJ performances from UK models Kellie Acreman, Lauren Pope and Sam Cooke
    • All your fav chart hits and floor fillers
    • Get your photo taken with the girls
    • Dress up and get down!
    • Red carpet & cocktails
    • ROAR, Gov ID essential

Thursday 11th of March

Zorbing in Grangegorman
    Grab a sponcership card, and raise money for crumlin its as easy as rooling down the hill.
    or
    • Just turn up, pay €10, get in the ball and roll down the hill!
    • Feel free to raise over €10
    • Sponsorship cards & further info from DITSU.ie or your local union office.

Farmers Ball @ D2
    • Feat Bluemoose
    • Aon Focal Eile!
    • Bales of hay
    • Sheep
    • Tractors
    • ROAR, Gov ID essential

Friday 12th of March

DIE HARD DAY......details to follow

Local site events on all sites posters will be up next week with details please get involved and have fun.

DIT Students’ Union is proud to partner with the Children’s Medical & Research Foundation during RAG WEEK ’10 & throughout the year to raise funds for Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin.

Comments

cant wait for zorbing!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Good cause and a nice jam packed line-up.

Are there smaller events on the individual campuses too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mickeyie05

The worst line up ever for rag week! it's an absolute disgrace! why can athlone and dcu and galway get the likes of tinchy stryder and Dizee Rascal and the best we can bloody do is Blue Moose! a joke of a rag week im off to galway next week

Off with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Mickeyie05 wrote: »
    The worst line up ever for rag week! it's an absolute disgrace! why can athlone and dcu and galway get the likes of tinchy stryder and Dizee Rascal and the best we can bloody do is Blue Moose! a joke of a rag week im off to galway next week

wouldn't call dizzie rascal much of a step up - or a step up at all - from blue moose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

Mickeyie05 wrote: »

Bye!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

I suppose SU's can go down one of two routes with their RAG Week:

1) Big Budget, Big Acts, Big Ticket Prices
    2) Small Budget, Smaller Acts, Small Ticket Prices

Yes other colleges have 'big name acts' but they also have the big ticket prices to match. (Athlones Tinchy Stryder tickets are €20/25, and Galways Calvin Harris tickets are €25/€30). This means if you fancy catching a few of the gigs during their RAG Week you could be spending around €50 just on tickets, that's before drink etc.

By the looks of it- you could go to all 4 of the evening gigs for DIT RAG Week for the princely sum of €20. Throw in an extra tenner and you can go Zorbing! Sounds like decent value to me...

I know it's nice to have the 'big name acts', but if I really want to see them I will pop to the Olympia or wherever when they tour. It's not like the other colleges are putting them on any cheaper. Plus I'd rather the SU put a few grand in the RAG Charity fund than see it go into Tinchy Stryders backpocket... it is Raising & Giving Week after all...

Chalk me down for the Farmers Ball and some Zorbing!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

bohsfan wrote: »
    I suppose SU's can go down one of two routes with their RAG Week:

1) Big Budget, Big Acts, Big Ticket Prices
    2) Small Budget, Smaller Acts, Small Ticket Prices

Yes other colleges have 'big name acts' but they also have the big ticket prices to match. (Athlones Tinchy Stryder tickets are €20/25, and Galways Calvin Harris tickets are €25/€30). This means if you fancy catching a few of the gigs during their RAG Week you could be spending around €50 just on tickets, that's before drink etc.

By the looks of it- you could go to all 4 of the evening gigs for DIT RAG Week for the princely sum of €20. Throw in an extra tenner and you can go Zorbing! Sounds like decent value to me...

I know it's nice to have the 'big name acts', but if I really want to see them I will pop to the Olympia or wherever when they tour. It's not like the other colleges are putting them on any cheaper. Plus I'd rather the SU put a few grand in the RAG Charity fund than see it go into Tinchy Stryders backpocket... it is Raising & Giving Week after all...

Chalk me down for the Farmers Ball and some Zorbing!

If nobody cares about the ticket prices in other colleges I doubt they would in Dublin either. Frankly I think it's just coz they're not arsed. They get slated every year for having a ****e rag week and never do anything about it. I would much rather spend 25 quid into a concert like event to see a decent act rather than see a rubbish one at €5. Having bad acts there is just a formality anyway as you'll get into clubs during the week for the same price anyway so by saying you could do the lot for €20 is the same as saying you could go out 4 nights of the week for that. The whole point of rag week (apart from the raising and giving of course :D) is to be different and more fun than others

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

I would much rather spend 25 quid into a concert like event to see a decent act rather than see a rubbish one at €5. Having bad acts there is just a formality anyway as you'll get into clubs during the week for the same price anyway so by saying you could do the lot for €20 is the same as saying you could go out 4 nights of the week for that. The whole point of rag week (apart from the raising and giving of course :D) is to be different and more fun than others

It's a bit harsh to call the acts rubbish if you've never seen them, I can't speak for all of them but the Smash Hits 90s band (who are basically The Republic of Loose minus that Pyro guy...) are brilliant!

Like I said, there seems to be 2 ways of doing things and in choosing one you will ultimately not please everyone. I understand what you are saying about paying €20 for the 4 nights, but it's just as easy to say that I can pay €30 any week to go and see a decent gig in Dublin...

A big name act would be nice, and bring up the profile of DIT and that, but I'm skint at the mo so I'm happy enough with the cheapie gigs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

LMAO, DIT social events.

• Advertisement

LMAO people who use LMAO seriously and not ironically.

This years VP of services and trading has promised to get the big name acts in so there will ACTUALLY be something to complain about next year if it doesn't happen!! :) He has promised to set up an award like the UCD one to get acts like will ferrell and calvin harris!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

LMAO people who use LMAO seriously and not ironically.

This years VP of services and trading has promised to get the big name acts in so there will ACTUALLY be something to complain about next year if it doesn't happen!! :) He has promised to set up an award like the UCD one to get acts like will ferrell and calvin harris!

It's funny because you think thats actually going to happen.

I never said i thought it was going to happen i was saying if it doesnt, you will actually have a reason to complain, so instead of just saying everything is ****, i advise you keep a close eye on that elected sabbatical to make sure they keep their promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Right, so my initial positivity has worn off.

Poor variety of acts, not one big name among them. In the past the Farmers Ball has featured the likes of the Saw Doctors. Blue Moose and Smash Hits etc are decent cover bands, but somewhere in the Rag week roster there should have been room for some original music. DIT's social calendar is supremely lacking on that front, what have we had this year? Japanese Pop Stars? Whoop-de-doo.

TCD and UCD get big international acts all the time, our money is just as good as theirs.

Thankfully next year's VP mentioned getting bigger acts in his manifesto, so here's looking forward to a positive change.

I imagine the Rag events will be great fun and the week will be a success in that regard, I just wish there was a bit more ambition in the plans.

Ticket to Farmers ball: €5
    Ticket to Doctors and Nurses 90's night: €5
    Zorbing: €10
    The craic i intend to have without being subjected to Tinchy Stryder(something i can only interpret as aural torture): PRICELESS!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dublin_Bud

Gareth, be quiet!!

GarethWA wrote: »
    Ticket to Farmers ball: €5
    Ticket to Doctors and Nurses 90's night: €5
    Zorbing: €10
    The craic i intend to have without being subjected to Tinchy Stryder(something i can only interpret as aural torture): PRICELESS!:D

hahaha ledgend!! see you at zorbing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dublin_Bud

Are you Tinchy Stryder by any chance?

No, it's Raymond, ya eejit

:D:D

ETA: I totally support RAG week, and fully intend to do something down Rathmines way to raise as much money for Crumlin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Any videos of the RAG events? Missed the freefall on Tuesday.

Any videos of the RAG events? Missed the freefall on Tuesday.

RAG week has not started yet. It's on next week! (8th - 13th)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

RAG week has not started yet. It's on next week! (8th - 13th)

Ah jaysus! Getting discombobulated :o Sponsored a lad to do the free fall in a G-string, not sure if I really want to see that though, maybe just the "normal" people :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭scheister

im down to do the free fall. should be some craic. i have seen a few DIT rags and i think there well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Studiocentral

Id love love love to do the free fall for charity... but not sure if ill make 100 euro by Tuesday, plus the fact that I might have a heart attack right before i do it!!!!:eek: haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭ToTheSea:

Blue moose. ~Shudders~

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

My class usually organises its own sessions, and they are always great... However, I'd love to do the freefal and zorbing, but I will have to do a whole lot of work to raise money, which is not possible.

What also sucks is that a lot of my assessment submissions are meant to be during rag week, so my class won't have much time for fun :(

I just find that rag week is far too Aungier Street-orientated. Some Bolton Street students have 39 hours of lectures a week, so they won't be able to attend some daytime events. The SU really has to put their thinking caps on, to make alternative rag week activities suitable for all students.

During the last 3 years of college, I've already seen a whole lot of comedians and bands. Time to try out something new and more active. For example, something like starting a mock Soviet parade to raise money for Chernobyl. I have a massive Soviet flag. Any takers?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

ToTheSea: wrote: »
    Blue moose. ~Shudders~

Blue Moose are a great covers band. One of the best in Ireland imo. However, they shouldnt be headlining one of Ireland's biggest college's Rag main event. I presume it was Sean Campbell who was the main man behind all of this?

Also did anyone hear anything about the Mystery Tour last Wed??

Bye!:D

I dont know what in the name of god youve added to the forum Gareth. Answered nothing and just made the SU look like the imbeciles that they are tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭ToTheSea:

wixfjord wrote: »
    Blue Moose are a great covers band. One of the best in Ireland imo. However, they shouldnt be headlining one of Ireland's biggest college's Rag main event. I presume it was Sean Campbell who was the main man behind all of this?

Also did anyone hear anything about the Mystery Tour last Wed??

Most likely Sean set it up yeah. I feel as though the SU chooses bands like blue moose to make everyone happy because they play a wide variety of songs.
    I did have an ok time when I say them at my freshers ball 3 years ago but to see them EVERY year at EVERY event just makes me want to pull my ears off. Variety is the spice of life and all that.
    I wouldn't be too surprised if every Vice president who organised events over the years is just some alien in disguise. NO creativity or difference as time goes by. But fair play to Sean for the paint parties which were new to DIT.
    DIT really needs to up it's game when it comes to events because they do the little events well but can't seem to do the big ones as good.

wixfjord wrote: »
    I dont know what in the name of god youve added to the forum Gareth. Answered nothing and just made the SU look like the imbeciles that they are tbh.

If you think the SU are imbeciles, then why not get involved to try and change that?

Also that nice long post at the very top of the thread might have been a worthwhile contribution on my part...it IS me who started this thread, and i didn't start it so people would think i was smart or brilliant or something like that, i started it because it's important that these events get as much promotion and coverage as they can, because in the end, RAG week is all about raising money for a worthwhile cause! It's also about having a bit of fun doing it, and that little quote you've got of me on your post...it's called a little fun!

I'd also love to see which questions have been addressed directly at me that you say I am not answering. I'm not on the DIT forum as a DITSU rep to boards.ie or something, i'm here as a DIT student with an opinion, and i have just as much right to post anything I like (within the boards.ie terms of use) as the next person. To call me an imbecile without even knowing me is a little childish.

• Advertisement

If you think the SU are imbeciles, then why not get involved to try and change that?

Also that nice long post at the very top of the thread might have been a worthwhile contribution on my part...it IS me who started this thread, and i didn't start it so people would think i was smart or brilliant or something like that, i started it because it's important that these events get as much promotion and coverage as they can, because in the end, RAG week is all about raising money for a worthwhile cause! It's also about having a bit of fun doing it, and that little quote you've got of me on your post...it's called a little fun!

I'd also love to see which questions have been addressed directly at me that you say I am not answering. I'm not on the DIT forum as a DITSU rep to boards.ie or something, i'm here as a DIT student with an opinion, and i have just as much right to post anything I like (within the boards.ie terms of use) as the next person. To call me an imbecile without even knowing me is a little childish.

Ah the old 'well your not doing anything' defence. Student politics is bollocks and no you wont make any difference, at the end of the day its DIT, and change is hard enough for those with power, its nigh on impossible for the SU. I wont get involved in student politics because its generally a petty exercise for people to try and boost their C.V. or spend another year in college, and, again there is no power involved. Ive asked you a question in a previous thread re MyDit which you answered with a joke. Youve made youreslf known as a SU member, so yes you are representing the S.U.

Also can you tell us why your other SU cronies dont wise up and maybe start to interact with the huge proportion of DITites on here? As someone says its all well and good asking this forum to help first years and answer questions, yet nobody from the SU uses it regularly.

Advertisement