Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAG week! What are you excited about?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

wixfjord wrote: »
    Ah the old 'well your not doing anything' defence. Student politics is bollocks and no you wont make any difference, at the end of the day its DIT, and change is hard enough for those with power, its nigh on impossible for the SU. I wont get involved in student politics because its generally a petty exercise for people to try and boost their C.V. or spend another year in college, and, again there is no power involved. Ive asked you a question in a previous thread re MyDit which you answered with a joke. Youve made youreslf known as a SU member, so yes you are representing the S.U.

Also can you tell us why your other SU cronies dont wise up and maybe start to interact with the huge proportion of DITites on here? As someone says its all well and good asking this forum to help first years and answer questions, yet nobody from the SU uses it regularly.

Every single DIT student is a member of the DIT Student's Union by enrolling with DIT.

For someone that complains that student politics is bollocks, you sure did throw a hissy-fit when you saw that I wasn't being completely serious on boards, but my term of being convenor doesn't start until July, something i thought you knew and I did not think you were being completely serious. I apologise if you were upset that i did not take your question seriously, but quite honestly, being a music student, there isn't really much i have to offer that could have gotten MyDIT back online. I knew that DIT were aware of the situation, and knew that they would resolve it sooner or later, and the situation may indeed have been assessed by 'top men'.

I find it very interesting how you say that the Students Union has no power and is "bollocks", yet as soon as something goes wrong in DIT, we are the ones you are looking to for answers:
    What are you and the SU doing about it Gareth?

Of course then we have you complaining that no SU people use boards regularly. I would love to know why you care, considering you think so little of the SU itself?

As you put it, my 'SU cronies' that don't use boards, they probably don't want to get attacked by people like you who turn their noses up at people who want to get involved with what's going on in their college, and the union that represents you as a DIT student, but then complain that we aren't doing enough, or you would do a much better job but you couldn't be bothered. We are the people that want to represent you!
    It's all well and good to voice your opinion online, but looking at the SU from the outside in only shows you a tiny portion of how much work the SU actually does, and to be critical of what we do when you yourself don't really know or care about it, is simply ignorant.

I will be using boards regularly from here on out, and if you want a scapegoat, you have him!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I actually quite liked the "top men... Top men" answer :)

Different people express things in different ways, I don't always think it's fair to say "get involved or shut up" etc. Some people are terrified of public speaking etc, so saying get involved with the SU if you want to change something is really a bit of a cliched soundbite at this stage. The public has the right to criticize politicians etc without being told to become a TD etc.

Personally I dislike answers like "it's ****e" etc because there's nothing constructive about it, but I think DIT students criticizing the SU can only be a good thing and they should be listened to rather than told to "do something about it or shut up." I'm not specifically directing this at you Gareth, it's just something that I've always noticed and it bugs me no end.

Thankfully the lack of big wig SU participation on boards has meant no sabbat I know of has told someone to get active or STFU, it usually tends to be angry class reps :p

Fewcifur wrote: »
    I actually quite liked the "top men... Top men" answer :)

Different people express things in different ways, I don't always think it's fair to say "get involved or shut up" etc. Some people are terrified of public speaking etc, so saying get involved with the SU if you want to change something is really a bit of a cliched soundbite at this stage. The public has the right to criticize politicians etc without being told to become a TD etc.

Personally I dislike answers like "it's ****e" etc because there's nothing constructive about it, but I think DIT students criticizing the SU can only be a good thing and they should be listened to rather than told to "do something about it or shut up." I'm not specifically directing this at you Gareth, it's just something that I've always noticed and it bugs me no end.

Thankfully the lack of big wig SU participation on boards has meant no sabbat I know of has told someone to get active or STFU, it usually tends to be angry class reps :p

Firstly, thanks RE top men.:)

I didn't mean to say that people should get involved or stfu, i merely wanted to defend the students involved in the SU that were being referred to, in a generalised way, as imbeciles. I know a lot of people involved in the SU through governing council and other channels, and there was no way i would not defend those people against insults like that.

I totally agree with you on the benefit of constructive criticism to the union, but i don't believe that the term:
    Student politics is bollocks and no you wont make any difference, at the end of the day its DIT, and change is hard enough for those with power, its nigh on impossible for the SU. I wont get involved in student politics because its generally a petty exercise for people to try and boost their C.V. or spend another year in college, and, again there is no power involved.
    was very constructive in its meaning at all, so i had to voice my personal opinion.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 CampbellSeanVP

Thankfully the lack of big wig SU participation on boards has meant no sabbat I know of has told someone to get active or STFU, it usually tends to be angry class reps :p[/QUOTE]

Hi Folks!

Right down to it, Its RAG week!!! Raising And Giving!!! Simple as. We in the union have been looking at RAG week from the start of the year and how to make it as good as it can be. So here we are and yes the line up doesnt include big big bands, and I have no issues with that. I have been working since the start of July last year and I havent recieved one email from the 22,000 students that we have in DIT about what they want for RAG week. We have asked students at council and at class Rep meeting as we have our structure. We would love to put on big gigs and have them as cheap as possible.

So the story is RAG week is for Raising and Giving week and we are trying to raise €20,000 for Charity and have some fun doing it. Thats what the week is about and please dont forget that. Everyone will think of different bands and the like for the week but to be fair to everyone we have a good spread on for the week and I think we are right in putting on events that are only €5 each presale.

"Tinchy Stryder tickets are €20/25, and Galways Calvin Harris tickets are €25/€30)" yes they are and they end up playing for around 20 mins for your money, with a DJ either side of the event. So no I dont this that is what we want.

Right I am heading off to the RAG swim and to RAISE MONEY FOR CHARITY.
    Thank you to everyone who gave up there sat to do the bucket collection, well done!!!

ENJOY THE WEEK, I will, and I hope you all do too, its your union and your voice. So use it and get involved and have fun. If your not intrested in the week then I am sorry to hear that.

Happy RAG week.

Regards,

Sean Campbell.
    Your Vice President.
    086 6031076
    vpservices@ditsu.ie

GarethWA wrote: »
    Firstly, thanks RE top men.:)

I didn't mean to say that people should get involved or stfu, i merely wanted to defend the students involved in the SU that were being referred to, in a generalised way, as imbeciles. I know a lot of people involved in the SU through governing council and other channels, and there was no way i would not defend those people against insults like that.

I totally agree with you on the benefit of constructive criticism to the union, but i don't believe that the term:

was very constructive in its meaning at all, so i had to voice my personal opinion.:D

Ah yeah Gareth, I wasn't saying it about your comments, just kinda speaking to the world at large, like a JD monologue... I'm sure a visual element would have made it more interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

lmao at DITSU

So here we are and yes the line up doesnt include big big bands, and I have no issues with that. I have been working since the start of July last year and I havent recieved one email from the 22,000 students that we have in DIT about what they want for RAG week. We have asked students at council and at class Rep meeting as we have our structure. We would love to put on big gigs and have them as cheap as possible.

"Tinchy Stryder tickets are €20/25, and Galways Calvin Harris tickets are €25/€30)" yes they are and they end up playing for around 20 mins for your money, with a DJ either side of the event. So no I dont this that is what we want.

Have any of the 22,000 students sent you an email looking for Blue Moose etc? I'd imagine getting in bands to play music is kinda implied in the job, it's not like you were re-inventing the wheel, there have been any number of Ents officers in this country before you to learn a thing or two from.

I've no idea where you're coming up with this 20minute idea for bands performing, it makes no sense unless that's what you're expecting from bands. Look at the acts the like of Trinity get for their Fresher Balls, by all accounts (or at least the few I've been to) the bands play a decent set.

We don't even have regular gigs for DIT students anyway, regardless of RAG week, UCD (depending on the ENTs officer) used to have them at least once a week.

I was at the LSAD ragweek last year and it was low cost and great, they put up a little marquee and got a load of bands in. Could easily be done on a larger scale in DIT. Also, do we even have any gigs in Aungier St. during this RAG week? I remember either last year or the year before when we had Repbulic of Loose on a portable stage in Aungier St. Place was packed with students having a good time. I would have thought the amount of students that turned up for that gig might have been enough of a hint that students want bands for ragweek (if they all sent emails I imagine your inbox would be quite full!)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Well DITSU F*** it up again. Besides having a poor line up for the rag week itsself, they postpone the SCAD jump and blame it on insurance. We get a text today and only a few get the texts about this. Shouldnt the insurance be sorted out before they advertise this jump.

Fair enough not having a DITSU rag tour, at least someone got something sorted for that last week but lets at least get some good bands and I'm sure the students wouldnt mind the price of tickets for a good gig. We were never asked to send any emails about our preferences sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭scheister

darragh16 wrote: »
    Well DITSU F*** it up again. Besides having a poor line up for the rag week itsself, they postpone the SCAD jump and blame it on insurance. We get a text today and only a few get the texts about this. Shouldnt the insurance be sorted out before they advertise this jump.

Fair enough not having a DITSU rag tour, at least someone got something sorted for that last week but lets at least get some good bands and I'm sure the students wouldnt mind the price of tickets for a good gig. We were never asked to send any emails about our preferences sure

i agree with ya darragh i was looking forward to the jump. i was told a while ago that insureance had being got so god only know what happen there

Serves you both right for expecting something worth while.

• Advertisement

darragh16 wrote: »

I heard some rumblings of this, what exactly was sorted out? I heard of some mystery trip or something, was that an SU thing?

I heard some rumblings of this, what exactly was sorted out? I heard of some mystery trip or something, was that an SU thing?

I don't think so...
    I think it was a collaboration of a couple of socs or something.
    Twas never advertised by the SU as far as i saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

GarethWA wrote: »
    I don't think so...
    I think it was a collaboration of a couple of socs or something.
    Twas never advertised by the SU as far as i saw.

Yes of course it wasn't advertised by the SU - god forbid you step out of line, and lose your chance at having a glowing reference for your time spent as on the council. You guys knew exactly what was going down. "couple of socs or something" my hole.

You guys; true revolutionaries!

A few socs makes more sense to be honest. It wasn't advertised across college (as far as I could see) so yeah, makes sense if it was a few socs.

discus wrote: »
    Yes of course it wasn't advertised by the SU - god forbid you step out of line, and lose your chance at having a glowing reference for your time spent as on the council. You guys knew exactly what was going down. "couple of socs or something" my hole.

You guys; true revolutionaries!

If it wasn't organised by the SU, why would they advertise it?
    And for the last time!!! I am NOT on boards as a ****ing SU rep, i'm here as a DIT student! The opinions expressed by me on this account are in no way the opinions of anyone else in the SU! This is my personal account, and honestly i can post, within reason, whatever i damn well please, the same as anyone else!

I knew there was some sort of trip organised, but i had no interest in going as i didn't know anyone who was going, and i had heard very little about it other than a random friend page on facebook. The fact is that someone asked a question and i responded as best i could! You took this as an opportunity to attack the SU through me, when i'm not even high up enough in the SU to be informed on stuff like this on a daily basis!

The question was:
    was that an SU thing?
    and i answered that question with the knowledge i had being a DIT student, as opposed to something that had been discussed within the SU.

Please be careful when getting of your high horse...it's clearly a long way down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 danerb

bohsfan wrote: »
    I suppose SU's can go down one of two routes with their RAG Week:

1) Big Budget, Big Acts, Big Ticket Prices
    2) Small Budget, Smaller Acts, Small Ticket Prices

Yes other colleges have 'big name acts' but they also have the big ticket prices to match. (Athlones Tinchy Stryder tickets are €20/25, and Galways Calvin Harris tickets are €25/€30). This means if you fancy catching a few of the gigs during their RAG Week you could be spending around €50 just on tickets, that's before drink etc.

By the looks of it- you could go to all 4 of the evening gigs for DIT RAG Week for the princely sum of €20. Throw in an extra tenner and you can go Zorbing! Sounds like decent value to me...

I know it's nice to have the 'big name acts', but if I really want to see them I will pop to the Olympia or wherever when they tour. It's not like the other colleges are putting them on any cheaper. Plus I'd rather the SU put a few grand in the RAG Charity fund than see it go into Tinchy Stryders backpocket... it is Raising & Giving Week after all...

Chalk me down for the Farmers Ball and some Zorbing!

I live in Galway from Galway and, I've had enough.. sorry now but its Monday, last night was ba, Saturday typical okay.. but I can promise you this after tonight........... We will cause as much disruption to you're exams as possible, given that, tonight I have had atleast ten people piss in my door way and have had 4 bottles thrown at my apt ( my action I suppose ). enough is enough no point fighting... you will see where it counts!! happy exams in GMIT and NUIG. I have 29 people ready to create as much noise, smoke and smells as posible during your exams so basically.. f you!!! or show some respect in town. We are mostly ex-students. I spent 7 years between both myself and we already know the story.. we'll drink every night regardless we'll be haven't fun too.. what a great recession.. here's to more job for the old-school. So here's too making sure you have sh itee resultes. If you don't respect us you'll suffer. not likely... pitty :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 danerb

Not fo me...

danerb wrote: »
    I live in Galway from Galway and, I've had enough.. sorry now but its Monday, last night was ba, Saturday typical okay.. but I can promise you this after tonight........... We will cause as much disruption to you're exams as possible, given that, tonight I have had atleast ten people piss in my door way and have had 4 bottles thrown at my apt ( my action I suppose ). enough is enough no point fighting... you will see where it counts!! happy exams in GMIT and NUIG. I have 29 people ready to create as much noise, smoke and smells as posible during your exams so basically.. f you!!! or show some respect in town. We are mostly ex-students. I spent 7 years between both myself and we already know the story.. we'll drink every night regardless we'll be haven't fun too.. what a great recession.. here's to more job for the old-school. So here's too making sure you have sh itee resultes. If you don't respect us you'll suffer. not likely... pitty :(

Quoted for posterity... Oh, and WTF?!! :eek:

I live in Galway from Galway and, I've had enough.. sorry now but its Monday, last night was ba, Saturday typical okay.. but I can promise you this after tonight........... We will cause as much disruption to you're exams as possible, given that, tonight I have had atleast ten people piss in my door way and have had 4 bottles thrown at my apt ( my action I suppose ). enough is enough no point fighting... you will see where it counts!! happy exams in GMIT and NUIG. I have 29 people ready to create as much noise, smoke and smells as posible during your exams so basically.. f you!!! or show some respect in town. We are mostly ex-students. I spent 7 years between both myself and we already know the story.. we'll drink every night regardless we'll be haven't fun too.. what a great recession.. here's to more job for the old-school. So here's too making sure you have sh itee resultes. If you don't respect us you'll suffer. not likely... pitty

...what?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

D.I.T rag week is a pure gold joke, blue mousse pfff pitter patter'in off to better horizions

• Advertisement

I live in Galway from Galway and, I've had enough.. sorry now but its Monday, last night was ba, Saturday typical okay.. but I can promise you this after tonight........... We will cause as much disruption to you're exams as possible, given that, tonight I have had atleast ten people piss in my door way and have had 4 bottles thrown at my apt ( my action I suppose ). enough is enough no point fighting... you will see where it counts!! happy exams in GMIT and NUIG. I have 29 people ready to create as much noise, smoke and smells as posible during your exams so basically.. f you!!! or show some respect in town. We are mostly ex-students. I spent 7 years between both myself and we already know the story.. we'll drink every night regardless we'll be haven't fun too.. what a great recession.. here's to more job for the old-school. So here's too making sure you have sh itee resultes. If you don't respect us you'll suffer. not likely... pitty

Hah! That post would have been pretty confusing if it was in the GMIT forum, but wow... if we could frame this or something... amazing!

Hah! That post would have been pretty confusing if it was in the GMIT forum, but wow... if we could frame this or something... amazing!

A better idea is to have a copy printed in case you do badly in exams. Then attach it to a Personal Circumstances form saying you were being examined in a state of perpetual fear!:D

Hah yeah! "But but but... he said he knew exactly how to effect our exams! I was constantly terrified of some sort of anthrax attack or worse, one of the supervisors farting!"

hello crazy lady

The best part is that this guy runs a website, of his own username.

How embarrassing.

discus wrote: »
    The best part is that this guy runs a website, of his own username.

How embarrassing.

Even worse... he never found his way to the actual GMIT or NUIG forum, and judging from what I've read I think their rag week was last week. Schnarf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mickeyie05

whats worse is these lads are gettin tere 20K a year for so called "workin" for the students, you should be ashamed of yerselves for messin up the biggest event of the year and embarassed to be paid for it

Mickeyie05 wrote: »
    whats worse is these lads are gettin tere 20K a year for so called "workin" for the students, you should be ashamed of yerselves for messin up the biggest event of the year and embarassed to be paid for it

20k +

Though acts of god etc can happen, let's wait and hear why the event was cancelled before we light our flaming torches.
    Sean found his way here to promote the event, let's hope he can do it again to explain what went wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dit_fashionshow

we'l be seling tickets from tomo, have a 'secret sale' on tomo, €5 discount on the tickets, sure come along!

also zorping - will be awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭ToTheSea:

we'l be seling tickets from tomo, have a 'secret sale' on tomo, €5 discount on the tickets, sure come along!

also zorping - will be awesome!
    How will we know what tomo looks like?

only joking, looking forward to this, fashion show is always great craic.

Advertisement