Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the regional

Options
  • 02-03-2010 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭

last night in casualty a guy came in complaining of chest pains, he was told take a seat, you will be seen when we are ready, 3 hours later he collapsed, then he was seen hopefully in time, also hopefully he is ok.

also last evening at 5 p.m. a patient arrived in with a doctors referral, at 3 am the patient was told please return in the morning, as there are 9 patients in front of you.

would the above apply to harney or her lackney drumm.

they remove funding because the hospital it is not achiveing what they require,
    they then close the a&e in nenagh, send patients to limerick, which has funding reduced.
    seen as harney and drumm are failing to meet targets, are their wages cut,
    not likely, drumm got a nice bonus for using the boning knife.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

did you stay there for the 10 hours that person was sent home??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

Was there last year with my child, I also had a doctors referral letter. Was about 7 hours waiting to get seen by a doctor & about 12 before admittance to a room (after which couldn't fault the place).
    The amount of drunk, high, scumbags we had to endure while waiting was something else. I wouldn't wish a trip to the A&E at the regional on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Its going to get worse - far worse; Mary Harney and Guru Drumm somehow managed to convince us that it was reasonable for Tipperary and Clare to make their way in there and queue too.......What they have in place now is going to seem like Disneyland in comparison to what's on the way......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Maybe there were more serious injuries being taken in. A&E works on a triage system.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

Maybe-
    Why is it that toddlers & young kids have to sit there and look the dredges of society and not have some kind of seperate waiting room is beyond me. But I guess- like everything in Ireland- you just have to grin & bare it.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The drunk, disorderly and general scum always seem to be bumped upto the top of the queue. They just want them in and out of there as quickly as possible, the more trouble they make the faster they get treated.

The socio-economic status of the patients is not a medical issue - maybe you should address your concerns about the level of hospital security to your local TD? If your child has been sitting there for three hours with a simple fracture (no obvious deformation) and a filthy drunken scumbag comes in with blood pouring down his face after falling down and hitting his head then I reckon you'll be waiting longer. Head injuries are more serious than potential fractures. That's just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Paulegend wrote: »
    did you stay there for the 10 hours that person was sent home??:eek:
    it was not me, a friend with a snapped knee ligament, arrived at 5, at 9 asked for pain relief, at 3 am given crutches and told come back in the morning at 10, there is 7 before you, so to arrive this morning and asked to join the waiting list again,

while on the subject, i was informed by a gp that they do not to do house calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Furious_Daz

bazz26 wrote: »
    The drunk, disorderly and general scum always seem to be bumped upto the top of the queue. They just want them in and out of there as quickly as possible, the more trouble they make the faster they get treated.

Any evidence to back up that unlikely opinion? I seriously doubt scumbags would be bumped ahead of someone who needed treatment more urgently because they were causing a bit of hassle in the waiting area. The last time I was in the emergency waiting room (about 2 months ago) they had a team of at least 5 security gaurds who turfed out anyone who got a bit rowdy (after a fair warning to behave themselves).

ah the regional again, this afternoon a guy suffering from polio entered a&e, his crutch(s) were worn out, he asked for a replacement pair, only to be told it was not in their remit to provide them, i can verify this if any one requires verifacition,
    people what the fcuk
    tht excuse of a minister cullen get nationwide publicity and sympethy because he has back pain
    did he have to wait
    will he have to suffer
    he is to be in hospital for the rest of the week
    pity its not the regional he arrived to with a medical card in the heel of his fist.
    it has got to the stage that in the limerick east constituncey, also limerick west, that if one is in the low income group and has requiements nothing can be got unless going through the tds.

• Advertisement

flutered wrote: »
    .....it has got to the stage that in the limerick east constituncey, also limerick west, that if one is in the low income group and has requiements nothing can be got unless going through the tds.

I once heard of a Great Man called William O'Dea who made a career out of "fixing" People up on a nod and a wink with healthcare, security, rights and freedoms that in most civilised Countries you expect as a matter of course as a Taxpayer.......

- Other Filth will fill his place in the passage of time - There will always be a place in Ireland for normal Civic/Societal process to be commandeered by Cute-Hoor Political W@nkers.

Flutered - I'm not surprised; worn out crutches are neither an accident nor an emergency. A&E isn't a medical warehouse, it's for patching people up.

concussion wrote: »
    Flutered - I'm not surprised; worn out crutches are neither an accident nor an emergency. A&E isn't a medical warehouse, it's for patching people up.
    yeah but to a polio victim a broken chutch is the worse possible senario, could they get his id, when he has one from the proper scource return it, if not bill him, or arrange for a replacement from his scource.

And what about some fella who comes in with a shattered leg and can't get a crutch becuase they've all been given away to non-emergency patients. I'm not saying the polio patient shouldn't get one from the HSE, I'm saying A&E is not the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Load of bull, i have first hand experience of Gardai having to wait around with a handcuffed injured prisoner who was kicking off, because of more serious cases coming into the hospital.

I have personally suffered the wrath of the regional waiting room, i think me and concussion spent over 11 hours out there waiting to be seen because of a leg injury i had.

However i did have to go out there one day for an xray because my doc thought my nose might have been broken, went out at 0930 on a wed morning and was out of there by 1100.

It is unfortunate but most of the time that people are left waiting around are during the weekend nights, say thursday night to monday night. You know when all the drunk people are around falling over having accidents. It's also the time when the majority of people are off work and doing things like gardening, playing sports, cooking, cycling and a miriad of other activities which could potentially provide you with a lovely boo boo.

I don't think the hospital or the government are all to blame, we as a people do not take safety precautions seriously, how many people do you see cycling with no helmet? How many people do you see using power tools without the necessary safety equipment, because "it's faster". We are as much to blame for causing overcrowding in a hospital.

I for one am glad that the A&E works on a triage system, if i had to be brought in there after a serious car crash i wouldn't want to be sitting around waiting because some kid has the sniffles and their mother has demanded to see a doctor immediately (this does happen, believe me).

So i guess what i'm saying is that while yes the hospitals are not run as effectively or efficiently as they could be, We don't exactly help the situation either running to the A&E with every little ailment that could easily be taken care of by our GP or the out of hours doctor service.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

From what I saw im afraid I have to agree with this, was out there twice last year with the gf and the only people getting anywhere were the ones kicking off and mouthing at the doctors.
    I feel sorry for anyone who has to go their at any time let alone the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Was in waiting room once with a friend and we witnessed a panicked mother running in the door with a very young baby who'd just been in a car crash and baby wouldn't wake up-

she was asked lengthy questions and then asked to take a seat.:eek: She just sat down and started crying for her baby to wake up- poor woman was in an awful state!

myself and another fella started banging on the door for security guard, we were totally ignored until a lady who was being called in next just grabbed the woman as the nurse opened the door and forced her through the door screaming for a doctor.

I wrote a letter to limerick leader about it and it was never reported. I'lll never until the day I die forget that day, I felt sick for weeks worrying about that baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭RachPie

I'm in Nenagh and I can honestly say it makes no sense whatsoever to close down that a and e at the weekends and after 6! I looked at the plans, and if they were carried out (extra resources at the regional, etc) it would be only just plausible, but as it is it is ridiculous! Don't worry about Harney she's booked into the Blackrock Clinic.. wouldn't step in the regional if her life depended on it .. what a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Yeah, 7 hours sounds about right for average waiting time in there. At least that's what it was when i was there. All i can say is i hope to god i don't get ill again any time soon again!!:eek:

RachPie wrote: »
    I'm in Nenagh and I can honestly say it makes no sense whatsoever to close down that a and e at the weekends and after 6! I looked at the plans, and if they were carried out (extra resources at the regional, etc) it would be only just plausible, but as it is it is ridiculous! Don't worry about Harney she's booked into the Blackrock Clinic.. wouldn't step in the regional if her life depended on it .. what a joke

It is to all of our shame in the 3 Counties that we let this unbelievably irresponsible change happen.....It will probably become a textbook example of Public Apathy and Civic Indifference in years to come.

People have already died on the road trying to make it from Tipperary and Clare into Limerick Regional Hospital, and even if you do make it in alive you get to queue behind the sick and injured of 3 whole Counties???

- I guarantee you that it will take the tragic death of a Child/Young Person and the subsequent 6 days of Newspaper/Radio and TV coverage before the inevitable reversal of this cheap and cynical step....

I also believe that the Consultants and Spokespeople in the Regional that appeared on Primetime defending and rationalising this bizarre, dangerous and socially irresponsible experiment will also end up discredited and apologetic in the long term - I hope whatever budgetary increases or whatever other variables involved that convinced them to back this Sham are worth it to them as they try to sleep at night.

• Advertisement

Firefox11 wrote: »
    Yeah, 7 hours sounds about right for average waiting time in there. At least that's what it was when i was there. All i can say is i hope to god i don't get ill again any time soon again!!:eek:

This is part of the problem as i outlined it above, if you're ILL then you shouldn't be going to the ACCIDENT and EMERGENCY department of a hospital, you should be going to a doctor. If you call your doctor then you will get a number for a doc who is on after hours calls, also there is an after hours clinic beside the hi-way restaurant. You can also call ShannonDoc if you're living in a rural area.

But instead of doing this, people who are ILL decide it is better to go to A&E and clog the system up then complain when they have to wait 7 hours to see a doctor, because people who have been involved in accidents and emergencies are brought in and put before them.

I'm not saying the system is perfect, and i think that Mary Harney has taken the health service and run it into the ground, but waiting times in A&E are usually because people go there for every little cough or sniffle they have. This is not what A&E is for this is what pharmacy's and your doctor are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Was in regional recently a saturday morning, in & out in 2 hours, (nothing but praise for nurses, doctors, staff etc,) it was mad busy inside the casualty,waiting room maybe 8 people.
    I needed emergency op, got it done the monday, i did have to sit around waiting few hours in agony waiting for bed, but they got me one, (no insurance, no medical card, no politican) maybe i just got lucky,
    But i felt well looked after by all. Thank you regional.

foinse wrote: »
    This is part of the problem as i outlined it above, if you're ILL then you shouldn't be going to the ACCIDENT and EMERGENCY department of a hospital, you should be going to a doctor. If you call your doctor then you will get a number for a doc who is on after hours calls, also there is an after hours clinic beside the hi-way restaurant. You can also call ShannonDoc if you're living in a rural area.

But instead of doing this, people who are ILL decide it is better to go to A&E and clog the system up then complain when they have to wait 7 hours to see a doctor, because people who have been involved in accidents and emergencies are brought in and put before them.

I'm not saying the system is perfect, and i think that Mary Harney has taken the health service and run it into the ground, but waiting times in A&E are usually because people go there for every little cough or sniffle they have. This is not what A&E is for this is what pharmacy's and your doctor are for.

Well it was my GP that referred me to A&E in the first place so you will have to blame him. I didn't think it was serious when I went to my GP but he obviously did. It was a complete shock to me.

Well it was my GP that referred me to A&E in the first place so you will have to blame him. I didn't think it was serious when I went to my GP but he obviously did. It was a complete shock to me.

GP :rolleyes:

Next time check on here with us first just to be sure......

Will do....;)

Will do....;)

Either that or mention it in your original post that you were referred to the hospital by your gp, i'm not a mind reader you know.:rolleyes:

When you arrive you give your symptoms to the person behind the counter,this is all transmitted to the triage room, where a nurse will grade the seriousness of your condition, you are then placed on a list according to this grade. those with grade 1 are seen first and those with grade 5 are left waiting until everyone else is dealt with. Ordinarily people who are referred to the hospital by their doctor will be grade 4/5, hence the waiting. if you're in serious trouble the doctor will get an ambulance for you.

Oh and another little interesting bit of trivia about emergency medicine, is that the same process applies if you arrive by ambulance, you're graded and then told to wait if not serious. just because you come into the hospital in a nee naw doesn't mean you'll jump the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ya but its more fun...

foinse wrote: »
    Either that or mention it in your original post that you were referred to the hospital by your gp, i'm not a mind reader you know.:rolleyes:

When you arrive you give your symptoms to the person behind the counter,this is all transmitted to the triage room, where a nurse will grade the seriousness of your condition, you are then placed on a list according to this grade. those with grade 1 are seen first and those with grade 5 are left waiting until everyone else is dealt with. Ordinarily people who are referred to the hospital by their doctor will be grade 4/5, hence the waiting. if you're in serious trouble the doctor will get an ambulance for you.

Oh and another little interesting bit of trivia about emergency medicine, is that the same process applies if you arrive by ambulance, you're graded and then told to wait if not serious. just because you come into the hospital in a nee naw doesn't mean you'll jump the queue.

Top tip of the day #218:

Present at the A&E Reception Window holding a bath towel soaked in red food colouring and explain in clear terms that you have a haemorrhaging contusion to your carotid artery.

- You'll be attended to within 3 minutes of arrival and get your Man-Flu seen to a lot more promptly than could otherwise be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Raiser , quit your trolling. this is your one and only warning.

• Advertisement

Raiser , quit your trolling. this is your one and only warning.

Was only joking in all fairness William......!?!?!?!

Does anyone know of confirmed cases of unfortunate Folk trying to make it in to the Regional from the wrong side of Clare and Tipperary and dying en route?

- I think there was one poor Man who died on the Dock Rd. trying to make in in from the Wilds of Clare with a heart condition?

What if your small Child or Baby had a choking incident or Asthma attack or something and there you are perhaps 90+ minutes from the nearest A&E Dept. - You're potentially talking about cradling your Child in traffic while they die in your arms.

Its ludicrous.

Obviously Harney and Drumm would always be happy to push policy like this through.... but for the Regional Hospital themselves to back it for their own gain is just scary.....

- A real moral vacuum in my opinion.

Advertisement