Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the regional

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The regional A&E is crazy way too many patients for the amount of staff working in there.

I wasnt sure if I broke my ankle a few days ago playing soccer and decided to go to St. Johns instead of the regional as I expected a crazy amount of time waiting in there. I know they work on the same Triage system in St Johns but there is less patients running into the A&E and the €100 was worth it. Took me just over 3hrs to get it checked out.

I went there before as well and it only took me an hour for a broken wrist to get it checked, xrayed and bandaged. So general rule is the avoid the regional unless you have a serious injury to look at otherwise you will be waiting hours on the triage system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Hypothetically if Brendan Drumm and Mary Harney were involved in a head on collision - with each other that is.......

- Where would they go for medical treatment, how long would they wait, and would they spend even one moment on a Trolley in a Hospital corridor?

When I think of Mary Harney and the HSE in the context of the sick games they are playing with the health and well-being of the Irish People and their Children I honestly am reminded of the Nazi Commandants who escaped Germany in 1945 and lived full, comfortable and privileged lives in South America.

- I bet she is planning on sipping cocktails by the Pool in her Argentine Mansion sometime around 2014 and leaving us drown in the pool of vomit she has created for us....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

At the end of the day it all comes down to greed. Greed by people who will kick up a fuss if they have to pay extra taxes or take a wage cut. If you want an excellent health service you have to pay for it. I realise there is a lot of money wasted in some areas but if this is reversed it still would not be enough. If you want better healthcare you have to pay for it, it is as simple as that. I have family that work there and what they tell me about the place, it sounds like hell at times. What happens there is a symptom and not the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

didn't Tullamore get a hospital from a green field site to a working a & e within 2 years? Anyone know what waiting times are like in Tullamore?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Raiser wrote: »
    Does anyone know of confirmed cases of unfortunate Folk trying to make it in to the Regional from the wrong side of Clare and Tipperary and dying en route?

Why don't you contact your local TD and have a question tabled in the Dáil?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

concussion wrote: »

The issue was brought before the Dail, by a Clare TD, when it was first announced.

Funnily enough there was some Limerick Minister who backed the idea of merging the A&Es during the discussion in the Dail. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

you will make a fortune in butlins this summer as a comedian, the best laugh i have had this year.

I'm perfectly serious. There's no point whining here about it here, if someone has issues with a public service they should get their TD to put a question to the relevant Minister. That's the whole point of written/oral answers, the question is on the record, as is the answer. If someone suspects that the closure of local A&E's has resulted in deaths then that is a serious issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

I have to admit that two years ago I went to A&E in the Regional with a fractured bone in my foot. I was in and out within two hours (x-rayed, plastered and appointment for frac clinic) simply because I have Cystic Fibrosis and sitting around in an A&E waiting area could be potentially fatal for me. Within about 10 minutes of telling the reception desk my info (including medical history), I was brought inside and into a room on my own. Personally, I wouldn't have minded waiting there in line, but obviously the room was needed (it was an emergency resus room) so I was dealt with promptly.

However, I have been there on previous occasions where things have not been so fruitful. In fact, that was my first time to A&E where I was bumped up because of my illness, and I make no apology for it (I haven't been there since, fortunately, to see if it's rigorously implemented). Public waiting areas full of sick people are potentially fatal to people with CF, and I presume there are other cases where 'queue-jumping' may be necessary. So, while I was presenting with a very minor injury, leaving me in a waiting area with all sorts of potential infections made me a priority.

I'm just explaining this because I know there were people giving me terribly dirty looks when I got called despite the fact that they had been sitting there for hours before me because, obviously, I just looked like a regular fracture patient.

Don't get me started on the HSE as a whole though, or on facilities for people with CF (in saying that though, at least the Regional has one private ensuite dedicated for CF patients). :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

so what you're saying is tell the receptionist that you have cystic fibrosis and you get bumped to the top of list. cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

I'm perfectly serious. There's no point whining here about it here, if someone has issues with a public service they should get their TD to put a question to the relevant Minister. That's the whole point of written/oral answers, the question is on the record, as is the answer. If someone suspects that the closure of local A&E's has resulted in deaths then that is a serious issue.

what has our local tds done to upgrade the regional, it has been downgraded twice (i think) in order to have university collage hospital upgraded, the silent two (odea and power) will always remain silent, ironic really it seemed for years odea done his best to keep power down, now power is a mini minister, and odea is zilch, but me thinks the only time the silent two will open their mouths in the dail will be to yawn.

There are more than two TD's in Limerick. Plus plenty more in the geographical area affected by the centralisation of A&E in Limerick. Contact one of the opposition TD's and raise your concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

zuroph wrote: »
    so what you're saying is tell the receptionist that you have cystic fibrosis and you get bumped to the top of list. cheers!

When you have a chronic illness in a country with the highest rate of incidence yet lowest life expectancy in the world, sometimes the optimist takes over and you have to see the perks. So, I guess, in short, yes. PM me and I'll give you my patient ID number as well so that you can have the proof to back it up. Oh, and while you're in there, would you mind popping in to several of the clinics that I need to go to as well, please.

Cheers!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

There are more than two TD's in Limerick. Plus plenty more in the geographical area affected by the centralisation of A&E in Limerick. Contact one of the opposition TD's and raise your concerns.

as far as i can see the opposition tds are bigger a**holes than the shower in government

Fair enough. Whine about it here so, see how much attention you'll get from those who have the capacity to do something about it.

Advertisement