Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signature Guitars/FX

• 02-03-2010 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

Just thinking about this yesterday, are signature artist models a bit off - putting for some players?
    Now I know there'll be the near obsessive fan who will want a replica of what his favourite axeman plays but are they more of a hindrance sometimes?
    for instance what if a guitarist/bassist from some sh*t band you didnt like happened to have a really nice sig model? Or the exact opposite?
    For example, I own a Zakk Wylde wah, but I'm not a huge Zakk fan, I just happened to get it ridiculously cheap.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Well I am a huge Dimebag Darrel fan and i own a Dean ML 79 Re-Issue , not his signature model , but a reissue of the ones he origionally had and customized.

So i have a sort of signature model but its more my own if ya know what i mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

I own a John Petrucci signature musicman and its an absolutely fantastic guitar.it has a piezo pickup which can make it very versatile in musical situations and is just an all round comfortable guitar to play.
    Even though i am a big JP fan i still didnt buy it soley because he play it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

With guitars, no, a guitar is so simple it's easy to do your own custom job from the parts you want, without having to pay for the name. Take the Sonic Youth Jazzmasters for instance - paying way over the odds for what is essentially way less, and going against everything that made Sonic Youth guitars so notable in the first place. No thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Just thinking about this yesterday, are signature artist models a bit off - putting for some players?
    I wouldn't say it's off-putting at all. I own an Ibanez K7 and an Ibanez K5 but I'm not much of a Korn fan. I just happened to like those particular guitars.

Now if there was a Jedward signature model of a guitar it'd have to be something very special for me to want to pay for it :p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

i always said id never get a sig model but when they said lefty js1200's were coming out i jumped on it... but i agree to some extend but u gota admit those sig high end guitars are some top guitar specs and build... they're great instruments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I've an Ibanez Jem 7VWH, and a Peavey EVH Wolfgang. I play in a wedding band - the shame it all, but I used to use them in a rock band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I honestly don't care if a guitar is an artist sig or not. If it has the specs I want then I'll go for it, I would never buy a guitar just because it has someones name on it but it doesn't put me off either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I don't care either way tbh, it's all about the instrument/effect/whatever, name or no name.

I only own one sig pedal, a jimi hendrix fuzz, and I only bought it because I loved the sound, it could have said spice girls on it for all I cared. In fact that would have been absurd enough to encourage me to buy it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah i have to say it makes no difference to me, i wouldn't go paying over the odds for something just because it has some artists name on it. But if the guitar/pedal/amp etc, sounded good, played well and i liked it, it wouldn't stop me from buying it. Mmmmmmm SRV strat.

Advertisement