Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypothetical....Physically abusive or threatening teenagers

Options
  • 02-03-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

The other thread on discipline prompted me to think about this.....

How would you handle a physically abusive teenager?

What about one who was threatening?

Thankfully it'll never happen to me. I'm able to defend myself very well at this stage and it's highly unlikely that any of my kids will ever exceed my ability. Also, I think we've done a decent job of instilling a sense of respect in them. The youngfella's not the sort anyway. At least not at the moment. :D

Personally, I'd put up with a bit of bravado from a young male. I think the amount of testosterone that's coursing through your veins between 14 and 18 can cause you to be...well...an ass at times. If the bravado were aimed at my wife I'd be *incredibly* agressive in response though. Not really sure what I'd do mind you. Probably a disproportionate punishment to try to prevent it happening a 2nd time.

I know of one person who lives in relative fear of her teenager though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Khannie wrote: »
    The other thread on discipline prompted me to think about this.....

How would you handle a physically abusive teenager?

What about one who was threatening?

Thankfully it'll never happen to me. I'm able to defend myself very well at this stage and it's highly unlikely that any of my kids will ever exceed my ability. Also, I think we've done a decent job of instilling a sense of respect in them. The youngfella's not the sort anyway. At least not at the moment. :D

Personally, I'd put up with a bit of bravado from a young male. I think the amount of testosterone that's coursing through your veins between 14 and 18 can cause you to be...well...an ass at times. If the bravado were aimed at my wife I'd be *incredibly* aggressive in response though. Not really sure what I'd do mind you. Probably a disproportionate punishment to try to prevent it happening a 2nd time.

I know of one person who lives in relative fear of her teenager though.

I took my step dad down once. I exceeded his ability to attack me and taught him a lesson eventually by learning to dodge punches and kicks from him. I held back because of the social situation that existed. My bravado and testosterone at the time gave me the ability to put him on the floor and have him at my mercy.

I am totally none violent so I let him up to let him think that he had won. It kept peace in the house and a new gained respect from him to me.

Personally from experience and nature. I find that some people are violent and use violence to control. This control works for low intelligent folks in my opinion due to my experience of this large man.

I was quite small but once I came of age I effectively took him down. I gained his respect through fear. that was his book. big man that he was picking on small kids.

Personally Khannie I think that If my kid attacked me then I would wonder why? In a way I find him (my step dad) an interesting study of why violence happens in the family situation. He is a 'tough guy' and a big man.

I do suspect that low intelligence is an issue. As a person I find this potential issue fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

I guess its all in the way you bring them up , of course there will be arguements , some more heated than others , much lees of a chance of them lashing out if they have respect and not fear for there parents.

I have a friend and her son is a little gurrier , he walks all over her and she says nothing , i dread to imagine what will happen the day she stands up to him and tell him to get his act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I think violence stems from an inability for the child to be able to express their emotions. I hope for my child always to be able to approach me and talk to me.

And also to be able to recognise their emotions and be able to deal with them without having to turn to violence.

Obviously this is all theory on my part, But hopefully it will work out in the future!!

Advertisement