Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infacol: does it work on bottom burps too?

Options
  • 02-03-2010 1:02pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My wee month old baba gets painful bowel wind. The doctor told me to try infacol which I have but his farts still seem to be hurting so I took a look at the bottle and it's a bit vague and just talks about wind! Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Hmm, as far as i can tell Infacol will only work with wind in the tummy, that's why you give it to them before you give them a bottle.. but i could be very wrong also which means i'm no help :D with my little lad, he makes the most horrendous faces when he's farting and/or pooing!! :eek: but this is normal i've been told, is he crying with pain or just grunting and making faces??

It might be the formula he's on that's not agreeing with him or the type of bottle, is he in a lot of pain or just kind of uncomfortable??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It's definitely pain cries, poor little sod. I'm breastfeeding so it could be something I'm eating.

I actually looked up "griping" from the infacol box and apparently it's bowel pain so looks like it is fit for purpose. Baby massage is helping him get the farts out but it would be nice if it didn't build up in the first place.

It could be something you're eating especially if it's something you didn't eat when you were pregnant. I find that after i feed Ben if i lie him down on a cushion on my knee for a minute or 2 after winding him and then straighten him up again he'll get more wind up..or watch out for the signs of hunger hand sucking or lips moving like he's feeding cos when they get to the crying bit they're really hungry and tend to gulp down the milk and get more windy,:) hope it some help, it's all trial and error with them, what works for one won't for another..unfortunately mine left his instruction manual behind...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

IF you are breast feeding then most likely it will something in your diet, I would suggest reviewing what you are eating and cutting out likey offenders, also it can take 3 days for food you have diested to effect your breast milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Get some gripe water asap. Infacol is an expensive waste of time. Worth making a trip up north just for peace of mind and it's cheap cheap cheap!. baba has to be 2 mths old I think. Made all the difference to me and b and I am still breastfeeding at 1 year. They have a spoon of it and a few minutes later give a good burp and no more painful bottom burps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Infacol just breaks down lactose as I understand it so should help with farting IF your baba has trouble with lactose. We've had similar problems with the new one. We're trying to use mostly breast and some of the Aptamil comfort.

I think that infacol stuff is ridiculously difficult to use if you're breastfeeding, especially in the early days while you're trying to deal with lack of sleep and building up supply.

I found that firm bum patting helps believe it or not. The nurse at the doctors advised tummy massaging too (before feeding) and this seemed to help a bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

It seemed to make it easier on our little man to cope with the wind whatever way he decided to pass it, mostly by bottom too - great for lols once he wasn't in pain anymore :D

bladespin wrote: »
    It seemed to make it easier on our little man to cope with the wind whatever way he decided to pass it, mostly by bottom too - great for lols once he wasn't in pain anymore :D

i have to say its a great laugh in our house too when he lets rip and by god he has some good ones!!:D Daddy is very jealous cos when he does it he gets into trouble!!:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yeah, he doesn't seem to have any problem burping but the air is getting into his bowels somehow. The doctor told me it's unlikely to be anything I'm eating but I've cut out some of the suspect foods anyway and it's not making any difference. They do start getting better at burping after a while don't they? Hate to see his little contorted body, it's so sad!

he may not be getting it all up after his feed.. and if like my lad he sucks his hand he could take it in then too.. it does get easier, most feeds i only have to sit him up to get up his wind and then other days i could be dancing round the room with him!! he's 2 months on saturday, try this sit it might help

http://www.feedingforlife.ie/age/zeroToThreeMonths/breastFeeding/feedingNotGoingWell/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

It could just be the kind of wind that lots of babies have trouble with as their little digestive systems are developing, *but* he also could be having some trouble breaking down the lactose in your breastmilk. This is one of the reasons for "colic". where the un-broken-down lactose causes a lot of bottom wind stuck in the lower intestine which causes pain. I remember with ds when he was 5 weeks old and the amount of wind coming out of his bottom I knew it couldn't be because he wasn't getting it up after a feed cos there couldn't possibly be that much to get up!!

There is another product called colief which you could try. http://www.colief.com/use.htm

It's in the form of drops and as far as I know you express a little bm onto a spoon before a feed and mix a few drops of colief with it and give that to baby before he latches on to feed. It helps to break down the lactose in the milk as some little intestines have trouble doing this themselves.

I know how hard it is to seem them in pain with the wind. Have you tried the "tiger in the tree" hold where baby is lying tummy down on your arms so that there is pressure on his little tummy.

Advertisement