Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scrap the offside rule?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

this is going well

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No.

It'd be too easy to score.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

playing offside requires skill and communication from a well organised back four and to break it you need top class strikers with great timing and a crafty fecker playing in the middle to pick the pass....so it all adds to the skill of the beautiful game

token56 wrote: »
    this is going well

:)

Im sorry, but Sepp Blatter has to be the most inept head of an organisation I have ever seen, and that's something coming from someone who's witnessed first hand the Irish government.
    "He asked me a lot of questions about it and how successful it was," explained Negre.

"Although he never offered an opinion, so it was difficult to judge what football might do.

Well aint there a first time for everything...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

if you remove the offside rule you simply keep one player up front and launch the ball will be the mantra for counter attacking football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I take it Blatter and Barry Davies were too posh to have ever played football in the playground?

Archimedez wrote: »
    :)

Im sorry, but Sepp Blatter has to be the most inept head of an organisation I have ever seen, and that's something coming from who's witnessed first hand the Irish government.

Yeah I didn't really think there would be anyone agreeing with him. Especially on this. But I taught it might open up some debate. Maybe that was wishful thinking.

I wonder what Sepp Blatter's ideal version of football would be like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

NO

remember when you'd play football as a kid/teenager and thered be the one tall guy standing 2 feet from the line? well this would make professional soccer the same as that, and peter crouch would be the hottest commodity in world football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

YES!

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Dear god no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Absolutely not.

Not at all surprised to see Blatters behind this either.

I wonder will anyone say yes,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Jesus Ronaldo, Berbatov etc would never pass the oppositions 18 yard line.

No, Leave the ****ing game alone.

token56 wrote: »
    I wonder what Sepp Blatter's ideal version of football would be like
    • 17 players per team.
    • 6 of these must be strikers.
    • No goalkeepers.
    • No English players.
    • Goals rotate and hover up and down.
    • Goals scored in any minute ending in an odd number dont count.
    • Goals must be celebrated by giving Blatter a handjob.
    • Tigers are chained to the corner flags.
    • Left backs are given lightsabers.
    • Captains armband replaced by captains jetpack.
    • Half time consists of live sex shows.
    • Extra time replaced by russian roulette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Worst idea ever, were they drunk when they thought this up? It would be madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

so it's a no then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

• 17 players per team.
    • No goalkeepers.
    • No English players.
    • Goals scored in any ending in an odd number dont count.

I'd probably watch this to be honest, just for the rotating and hovering goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just have a 'no hatching' rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

No, but they should go back to "if anyone is offside, then it's offside" though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

• 17 players per team.
    • No goalkeepers.
    • No English players.
    • Goals scored in any minute ending in an odd number dont count.
    • Extra time replaced by russian roulette.
    That is football in the middle of a park anywhere in the world... In 2030 and I for one can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

No, but they should go back to "if anyone is offside, then it's offside" though.
    No way they just need to make it clearer as to when does a player who was in an offside position become able to interfere with play after 10 seconds after 1 pass after 2?

No way they just need to make it clearer as to when does a player who was in an offside position become able to interfere with play after 10 seconds after 1 pass after 2?
    If a player isnt interfering with play then what the hell is he doing on the pitch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

NO WAY. As someone else mentioned, the likes of Berba and Ronaldo (and can I add Anelka to that list?) would never bother leaving the opposition penalty area sure! Make the game into something more akin to volleyball; just hoof her up the pitch and our man can get it! Madness!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'd like a goal that lit up and dispersed fireworks every time a goal is scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

And cheerleaders not enough cheerleaders in the Irish/English game these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

For the love of all things soccer, NO!

Madness, the man is a looney toon and should be put away. Bloody hell...

hang on, why the hell is berbatov being mentioned as never leaving the box? One of the biggest issues with him is that he is never in there to begin with, but ambling round the halfway line have played a pass out wide or something. Of all forwards in the league, Berbatov is the very last one I would even think of describing as a 'hatcher'.

I do think the offside rule needs to be 'fixed' though. Players become 'active' again having been offside far too easily - such as when a striker runs ahead of the defense into an offside possession in anticipation of a pass that doesn't come. We have seen the ball be played out to the wing and the striker continue his run into the box to knock in the slide rule pass from the winger and this be given as a good goal, cause the striker was onside when the ball was actually played to him. For me, this isn't right because he is only there as a result of being offside at the begining of the same move. it shold not be allowed imo.

I would, however, also hate to go back to the days of offside being called cause a guy on the other side of the pitch is offside when the ball came no where near him and was never going to.

I think getting rid of the offside rule would be terrible for strikers, defenders and goal keepers. Midfielders, especially those like Lampard, would freaking love it due to the amount of space that would be created in midfield due to the defence dropping so deep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Max Power1 wrote: »
    If a player isnt interfering with play then what the hell is he doing on the pitch?

This is such a tired, boring old cliché that adds nothing to the offside argument imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

"All in favor say aye"

filippo-inzaghi-2009-3-8-11-20.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

SlickRic wrote: »
    so it's a no then?

ya

keane2097 wrote: »
    This is such a tired, boring old cliché that adds nothing to the offside argument imo.
    its still true, cliché or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

judas101 wrote: »
    "All in favor say aye"

Is it just me or do inzaghis hands look huge? Like that gollem fella from Lord of the rings.

If there was no offside rule the small quick forwards would be made redundant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

judas101 wrote: »

"Born in the offside position." -Sir Alex

• Advertisement

Max Power1 wrote: »
    its still true, cliché or not

for me it is not, there are always moments in games where a player is clearly not interfering with play.

Hell, Lehman left the pitch for a piss recently, while the game was still being played - you reckon he was still interfering with play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont know what Blatter is up to this time, get rid of the offside rule?? Might as well get rid of the refrees to and let both teams call there own frees and penos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Having it in xtra time sounds like a good idea instead of teams playing out for Penos. Masters 5 a side football on sky is the only exmaple of it working not on a full size pitch.

What about changing the rules that players who get sent off (Re: Vidic) for last man tackles go to an "ice hockey" like Sin bin for 15 mins. If Villa had scored then they would have had 15 mins to take further advantage. I think straight reds should be for serious fouls. It ruined the European Cup final a few years back when Lehman got sent off. Also I think players should be able to come on and off like in most american sports though only one swap per player per half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Having it in xtra time sounds like a good idea instead of teams playing out for Penos. Masters 5 a side football on sky is the only exmaple of it working not on a full size pitch.

What about changing the rules that players who get sent off (Re: Vidic) for last man tackles go to an "ice hockey" like Sin bin for 15 mins. If Villa had scored then they would have had 15 mins to take further advantage. I think straight reds should be for serious fouls. It ruined the European Cup final a few years back when Lehman got sent off. Also I think players should be able to come on and off like in most american sports though only one swap per player per half.
    Scrap extra-time lets rock Paper scissors it takes much more skill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

shouldnt be removed, but it COULD be tweaked a little

an extra line 40 yards out from each goal, you cant be offside behind it perhaps

Helix wrote: »
    shouldnt be removed, but it COULD be tweaked a little

an extra line 40 yards out from each goal, you cant be offside behind it perhaps

behind or before it? Behind to me indicates closer to the goal (getting in behind the defence)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

for me it is not, there are always moments in games where a player is clearly not interfering with play.

Hell, Lehman left the pitch for a piss recently, while the game was still being played - you reckon he was still interfering with play?

of course not, he had left the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

behind or before it? Behind to me indicates closer to the goal (getting in behind the defence)

I have seen suggestions before of no offside in the middle 1/3 of the field. Not sure if it would work at all, probably not. don't see the need to scrap offisde myself. just use video technology where required, 2/3 challenges per team (at the top level where possible)

Des wrote: »
    of course not, he had left the pitch

Actually, and kind of arguing with myself here i know, I would deem him to be still interfering with play from a defensive view point. As long as the ball stays in his teams possession then i would say he is not interfering with play. However, if the opposition regain possession of the ball, I would still count him as one of the defenders with regards to the offside rule, otherwise I suppose you have to book him for returning to the pitch without permission.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I have seen suggestions before of no offside in the middle 1/3 of the field. Not sure if it would work at all, probably not. don't see the need to scrap offisde myself. just use video technology where required, 2/3 challenges per team (at the top level where possible)

It would, imo, just push the defenders back 15/20 yards. While they currently stand at half way, if this were the case they'd stand 20 yards further back. Loads of space in midfield i suppose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement