Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scrap the offside rule?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

The main problem with the offside rule is that it is pretty convaluted and open to interpretation leading to inconsistencies based on different officials so I think it needs to be made clearer so that it can lead to more consisteny where then at least everone and every game is officiated the same. Removing the offside rule would I think tho be excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RedivideR

maybe they could bring in 'last man back' rules for goalkeeping too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Did anyone else actually read the article, no?
    He asked the hockey federation president about how they abolished it. That's all. I don't see any indication that he was considering doing the same.
    Bad bluebottle journalists making up silly attention-grabbing headlines is all that's happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

pwd wrote: »
    Did anyone else actually read the article, no?
    He asked the hockey federation president about how they abolished it. That's all. I don't see any indication that he was considering doing the same.
    Bad bluebottle journalists making up silly attention-grabbing headlines is all that's happening.

why ask them if not at least a little interested in doing the same for football.

No one is saying the guy has decided to try to do it, yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

No.

Needs a poll btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

God no. What a awful idea it'd ruin the whole skill and cunning of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

why ask them if not at least a little interested in doing the same for football.

No one is saying the guy has decided to try to do it, yet.
    Maybe he was making conversation. There's no evidence that he approached the man in order to specifically ask about this, although that is how it is presented in the article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Archimedez wrote: »
    • Tigers are chained to the corner flags.

Actually that would be a good rule. I ****ing hate players taking the ball into the corner to waste time.

Either the tigers or have a 10 yard arc around the corner flag that has no rules, if you go inside with the ball, players can chop you up.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

for me it is not, there are always moments in games where a player is clearly not interfering with play.

Hell, Lehman left the pitch for a piss recently, while the game was still being played - you reckon he was still interfering with play?
    ah but sure when would the goalkeeper be offside at all?

moot point imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

RedivideR wrote: »
    maybe they could bring in 'last man back' rules for goalkeeping too?

Fly goalie. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Max Power1 wrote: »

moot point imo

Merely pointing out a player who could be deemed to be not interfering with play.

There are many instances in a game where a player can be said to be not interfering with play imo, such as when they go down with slight injuries, when their momentum means they leave the pitch.

A player is, imo, not always interfering with play. Most of the time they will be, but on occassion they will not, more so true of attacking players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

shouldnt football be trying to move forward, no back?!?!

first FIFA refuse to even consider the introduction of goal line technology, yet asks about getting rid of the off-side rule????

Im totally confused by this man, Blatter.

I think getting rid off the off side rule would really confuse things even more. as if there wasnt enough inconsistency in the game!!!
    The refs and officials wouldnt know where to look. you wouldnt need lines men!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

jonnybadd wrote: »
    I'd probably watch this to be honest, just for the rotating and hovering goals.

You're obviously a unick...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

Well...at least you wouldn't have to explain it to the wimmens anymore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

we never play the offside rule in 5 a side and it works a charm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

syngindub wrote: »
    we never play the offside rule in 5 a side and it works a charm

key phrase. :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm actually interested in how hockey changed after the abolition of offside. Inasmuch as I'm interested in anything related to hockey, which is not very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm actually interested in how hockey changed after the abolition of offside. Inasmuch as I'm interested in anything related to hockey, which is not very much.

At least I won't be shouting at the screen when I'm playing the new NHL on an Xbox, "how's that offside?!". Could never figure it out...

I think it would be total lunacy to get rid of it, it's what makes it so rewarding. Nothing like beating the offside trap and making a fool out of the defenders and scoring...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

theyve still got offside in hockey btw

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Helix wrote: »
    theyve still got offside in hockey btw

lol

Hockey or Ice Hockey? Definitely offside in ice hockey, they were explaining it in the final between Canada and USA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Blatter is slowly strangling the life out of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

jasonorr wrote: »
    Hockey or Ice Hockey? Definitely offside in ice hockey, they were explaining it in the final between Canada and USA!

sorry

ive integrated a little too much over here, i forgot there was another hockey lol

yeh i meant ice hockey, never even thought of field hockey, my bad

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No.

I could see how having no offside in hockey could work, because the ball stays on the ground so much, but it would be too easy to hoof it to the strikers in football. The offside rule compresses the game and gives it shape, would be stupid to get rid of it.

Tigers on the corner flags I'm ok with though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

moot point imo
    It would be easier for the striker to be caught offside though.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Should look into multi-ball overtime as well.

Also, Inzaghi looks like a heroin addict in that picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

No, doesn't even deserve to be debated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Terrible idea, Mr.Blatter, please leave football alone its perfect the way it is in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Terrible idea, Mr.Blatter, please leave football alone its perfect the way it is in my eyes.

It'll never be perfect but, out of all the things that could be changed, this makes the least sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I hate hatchers (scum)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I'd bring back keeper pass backs before this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Just have a 'no hatching' rule.

That brought me back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

one thing that annoys me and could easily be changed it to change the current rule so that if you are not in offside position when you get the ball then its irrelevant where you were when it was kicked. This would get rid of the stupid incidents where a player could have been offside from a long kick but by the time they get there are 3 players goal side of him, IMO the player has not gained much of an advantage by being offside in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Advertisement