Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New bus stop on Monkstown Avenue?

• 02-03-2010 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

I was on the 8 bus this morning. It was being diverted by Monkstown Avenue as Lower Mountown Road was closed. As it was passing the Blue Pool on Monkstown Avenue, I noticed a new bus stop installed on the left. It then got me thinking about a statement made by a Labour Party representative Stephen Fitzpatrick: http://www.labour.ie/stephenfitzpatrick/news/12597688831149023.html.
    Is the 46A to be diverted to serve this road permanently?
    Are there plans for new route?
    If so, will it be making use out of the new Monkstown Ring Road?
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

makes sense. The farm road was a stupid place for such a high frequency service to go down. buses just end up blocked behind each other driving up on the path to squeeze by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Amen to that Cookie_Monster. Oliver Plunket Road and Monkstown Farm is a very narrow stretch of road which is so narrow in places that even cars can't pass each other out in opposite directions. While I do feel sorry for the elderely people living on this road, I do think a re-route is badly needed to reduce journey length, not to mention the unneccesary amount of stops it makes on this road. On peak, this detour can take between 10-20 minutes to complete. This leads me to these recommendations. Have two 46A variants:
    1. 46A going up Mounttown Road Lower and the entire length of Kill Avenue. Continue on the Stillorgan QBC from here along it's usual route.
    2. 46 going up Monkstown Avenue and the entire length of the Monkstown Ring Road. Continuing on the Stillorgan QBC from here along it's usual route.
    What do you reckon?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Is that part of the Dun Laoghaire Golf Club works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The alternative is a prohibition on parking in narrow sections during commuter hours or making it into a one way street altogether.

1. 46A going up Mounttown Road Lower and the entire length of Kill Avenue. Continue on the Stillorgan QBC from here along it's usual route.
    2. 46 going up Monkstown Avenue and the entire length of the Monkstown Ring Road. Continuing on the Stillorgan QBC from here along it's usual route.
    What do you reckon?

I'd see 1 as the obvious solution. Speed up that section dramatically. granted some will lose out due to this but I never experienced moderate or high usage along this stretch when I used to get the 46a
    godtabh wrote: »

I wouldn't think so, too far down. GC works should be focused on Upper Glenageary Rd

• Advertisement

I reckon it is. The Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council have installed traffic lights on Glenageary Road Upper where the golf club is being built upon. Not to mention the fact that a huge amount of trees have been cut down in the process. As a matter of fact, according to the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council developlment plans, the section of Glenageary Road Upper between Glenageary Road Lower and Mountown Road Lower is to become a quality bus corridor(QBC). Perhaps this is to accomodate new bus routes or re-routes from the likes of Cherrywood, Shankill, Bray and Greystones(and potentially Dalkey in the future).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

So the 46a wont go through monkstown farm anymore-oh the shame :pac:

I reckon it is. The Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council have installed traffic lights on Glenageary Road Upper where the golf club is being built upon. Not to mention the fact that a huge amount of trees have been cut down in the process. As a matter of fact, according to the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council developlment plans, the section of Glenageary Road Upper between Glenageary Road Lower and Mountown Road Lower is to become a quality bus corridor(QBC). Perhaps this is to accomodate new bus routes or re-routes from the likes of Cherrywood, Shankill, Bray and Greystones(and potentially Dalkey in the future).

What an odd place to put a QBC.
    I can't think what buses they would re-route and see as beneficial.

7 needs to serve DL so can't use it
    46a; possibly but no benefit i can see, will slow route down dramatically getting to terminus
    111, 45a terminate in DL anyway
    746 doesn't matter
    75 impractical and not beneficial as v long route anyway
    7d & 8 use already, increase these markedly?
    what new bus service would they put in? potentially the old 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

From Dublin Bus website:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Diversions-on-Routes-46a-75-and-746/

Diversions on Routes 46a, 75 and 746
    Monday, February 22, 2010

Dublin Bus wishes to advise customers that due to road works on Mounttown Road Lower the following diversions will be in place from Monday 22nd February 2010 for approximately eight weeks.

Route 8 towards City Centre
    Buses will operate via Oliver Plunkett Rd/Monkstown Farm, turning right traveling down Monkstown Ave and resuming its route at Carrickbrennan Rd.

Route 46a from City Centre
    Buses will operate via Monkstown Avenue, Mounttown Road Upper, and then turning left at York Road Junction.

Route 75 (towards Dun Laoghaire)
    Buses will operate via Oliver Plunkett Road, Monkstown Farm, Monkstown Avenue, Mounttown Road Upper and then turning left at York Road Junction.

Route 746 from City Centre
    Buses will operate via Monkstown Avenue, Mounttown Road Upper, and then turning left at York Road Junction.

Dublin Bus apologises for any inconvenience caused.

What an odd place to put a QBC.
    I can't think what buses they would re-route and see as beneficial.

7 needs to serve DL so can't use it
    46a; possibly but no benefit i can see, will slow route down dramatically getting to terminus
    111, 45a terminate in DL anyway
    746 doesn't matter
    75 impractical and not beneficial as v long route anyway
    7d & 8 use already, increase these markedly?
    what new bus service would they put in? potentially the old 9

What does markedly mean?
    Was there a 9 route before? If so, where did it originate?

• Advertisement

What does markedly mean?
    lots

I dunno, it came up on C&T a few weeks ago somewhere. Town to Dalkey-ish area but don't know exactly where. May have been phased out with the trams

I suppose route 9 is a ghost route. Anyway back to the main topic. Is the diversion along Monkstown Avenue going to be permanent?

based on KC61's post I would say no, currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

based on KC61's post I would say no, currently.

Who knows, after this "successful trial" they may decide to make it permanent, they just want proof how much more efficient it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Who knows, after this "successful trial" they may decide to make it permanent, they just want proof how much more efficient it is.

It mightn't necessarily be a bad thing.
    What's the bus that stops up near TEK and goes all the way through town up to DCU/Ballymun?
    It could serve the area that would be "bypassed" if the 46a stops going through the Farm and up Abbey Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Heroditas wrote: »
    It mightn't necessarily be a bad thing.
    What's the bus that stops up near TEK and goes all the way through town up to DCU/Ballymun?
    It could serve the area that would be "bypassed" if the 46a stops going through the Farm and up Abbey Road.

That's the 4A terminus.

I noticed a bus lane starting on the newly opened Monkstown Ring Road between the 4A terminus and Newtownpark Ave and was wondering what routes would use it.

Unfortunately just because a local authority puts down a bus lane on the road it does not always follow that a bus service is planned for it.

There have been several examples of where this was done without Dublin Bus (or others) being asked if they planned to operate along the route where the bus lane markings were painted.

As far as I am aware there are no long term plans to move the 46A out of Monkstown Farm, there have just been a long succession of road works in the area.

What does markedly mean?

The 9 was a short working of the 10.
    lots

I dunno, it came up on C&T a few weeks ago somewhere. Town to Dalkey-ish area but don't know exactly where. May have been phased out with the trams

It was brought up in the context of someone taking an unofficial map as being gospel truth of what Dublin Bus long term plans were.

It was completely false and inaccurate.

KC61 wrote: »
    The 9 was a short working of the 10.

It was brought up in the context of someone taking an unofficial map as being gospel truth of what Dublin Bus long term plans were.

It was completely false and inaccurate.

I heard off a mate a couple of months ago that a major review of the bus network is on the cards. Not too sure of the source where he got this information. Maybe this is being carried out to incorporate the new bus stop mentioned in the title of this thread and also to make use of the new Monkstown Ring Road. If the Monkstown Ring Road isn't going to be used by Dublin Bus, then it would be the biggest waste of tax payers money. I haven't gone up it myself yet but it was hardly built for a laugh. Now that the road is finally complete effectively after 3 or 4 decades, I assume that it will very soon be put to good use by both public and private transportation alike.

I heard off a mate a couple of months ago that a major review of the bus network is on the cards. Not too sure of the source where he got this information. Maybe this is being carried out to incorporate the new bus stop mentioned in the title of this thread and also to make use of the new Monkstown Ring Road. If the Monkstown Ring Road isn't going to be used by Dublin Bus, then it would be the biggest waste of tax payers money. I haven't gone up it myself yet but it was hardly built for a laugh. Now that the road is finally complete effectively after 3 or 4 decades, I assume that it will very soon be put to good use by both public and private transportation alike.

You obviously haven't been reading this forum too much!

Yes there is a full Dublin Bus network review ongoing but given that any change requires approval from the National Transport Authority and the plans haven't been published yet, then I think you are being far too ahead of yourself. Until the service changes are improved then nothing will happen. The bus stop is purely for the diverted services as per the Dublin Bus website.

DLR Coco are being purely speculative if they are putting in a bus lane on that road.

The Monkstown Ring Road may well not be used by Dublin Bus or maybe it will - none of us know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is the 46A to be diverted to serve this road permanently?
    I image the bus stop is to allow Monkstown Farm people to get off if the forget about the detour.

If the residents want a bus service, I think it would be sensible to get a minibus to do a one-way shuttle / loop and let the 46a concentrate on Dún Laoghaire - city centre. The cost savisn would pay for the minibus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I did the design of Glenageary Road Lower and the likes of Mountown and Kill avenue as they meet at the old Glenageary Road roundabout thats a new signalized junction. Bus stop locations were based on the QBC Office locations

QBC Office locations
    whats a QBC office?
    I did the design of Glenageary Road Lower and the likes of Mountown and Kill avenue as they meet at the old Glenageary Road roundabout thats a new signalized junction.

Am I reading that right, that the roundabout will be replaced by lights?
    If so why on earth would that be done, roundabouts are so much more efficient than signalled junctions :(

That's the Quality Bus Network Office based in Dublin City Council

http://www.dublincity.ie/ROADSANDTRAFFIC/QBNPROJECTOFFICE/Pages/QBNProjectOffice.aspx

KC61 wrote: »
    That's the Quality Bus Network Office based in Dublin City Council

http://www.dublincity.ie/ROADSANDTRAFFIC/QBNPROJECTOFFICE/Pages/QBNProjectOffice.aspx

so there are not infact QBC offices along Glenageary road then :P :o

whats a QBC office?

Am I reading that right, that the roundabout will be replaced by lights?
    If so why on earth would that be done, roundabouts are so much more efficient than signalled junctions :(

Sorry i meant the bus stops locations picked by the QBN office

Traffic lights can manage traffic more efficiently and safer than roundabouts. It can also allow bus priority and given the QBC they are needed.

Have a look at the Paramics (sp) model. You can see the traffic signals work better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭crushproof

I did the design of Glenageary Road Lower and the likes of Mountown and Kill avenue as they meet at the old Glenageary Road roundabout thats a new signalized junction. Bus stop locations were based on the QBC Office locations

Which roundabout are you talking about?! Surely Glenageary Roundabout at the Spar isn't going to be turned into a signalised junction??? :confused: Or are you talking about the Farm roundabout?!

I think both are at some stage between the golf club development an another one (cant think of its name at the minute)

God, I hope not. What a mess that will turn into, especially the Glenageary one at the old Deer Hunter, 6 exits off that roundabout, a signal junction would be an unholy disaster.

The graduate roundabout was supposed to be getting turned into a cross roads too at some point a while back. I reckons its been dropped as a stupid idea though as nothing has been done at all.

• Advertisement

Dun Laoghaire have plans for the Deer Hunter

Dun Laoghaire have plans for the Deer Hunter

shopping centre was what it was supposed to be, has this changed?

shopping centre was what it was supposed to be, has this changed?

and new County Council offices isnt it?

and new County Council offices isnt it?

more?

WTF do they need more, haven't they got enough in Dundrum and the newly built ones in DL and newly refurbished town hall in DL.

Madness :mad:

more?

WTF do they need more, haven't they got enough in Dundrum and the newly built ones in DL and newly refurbished town hall in DL.

Madness :mad:

maybe its changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭crushproof

First I've heard of any council offices for the Deerhunter site, it was meant to be a mixed residential/commercial development wasn't it???? CoCo don't own the site.
    Not a hope they can turn the Glenageary roundabout into a junction, far too complicated! saw the drawings for the Graduate roundabout a while ago, but doubt that'll go ahead. No sign of drawing for Glenageary roundabout.
    Ermmm...where you getting all your info Godabh?! No offence but it all sounds fairly flawed to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Sorry for resurrecting old thread - but what bus goes down the Monkstown Ring Road now? (If any)??? :confused:

Sorry for resurrecting old thread - but what bus goes down the Monkstown Ring Road now? (If any)??? :confused:

None.

Advertisement