Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening bank account in UK

Options
  • 02-03-2010 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Got a summer internship in London and I need to open a UK bank account to be paid.

Does anyone know if you can do this based on your Irish address or do you have to be living in the UK to do it?

Probably won't be going over till just before I start work in june so won't have any utility bills etc till after i start.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I tried to an open an account in England last year as I am moving over in June and wanted things set up.

Basically, I cldnt. I had to be resident in England first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Opened an account with the Bank of Ireland over there a few years ago, have never even been close to the Branch in question in my life.

Can be done, but talk to your bank, it will depend on your circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭defiantshrimp

Talk to your future employer about it. I was able to set up a HSBC account for my internship in London before I left because they had some arrangement. All I had to do was go up North one day and show some photo ID.

You could also go to the North with all your photo ID and proof of address in Ireland and something official with your PPS number and set up an account with BOI, First Trust, Ulster, etc. up there. The will do it for an ROI address.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Talk to your future employer about it. I was able to set up a HSBC account for my internship in London before I left because they had some arrangement. All I had to do was go up North one day and show some photo ID.

You could also go to the North with all your photo ID and proof of address in Ireland and something official with your PPS number and set up an account with BOI, First Trust, Ulster, etc. up there. The will do it for an ROI address.

Do the Northern Irish banks not insist on you having a NI address to open an account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 JonnyMacM

Many many people live in the ROI and work in the north and you will have to make a trip to a branch in the north to get it sorted, but it is easy. Phone a bank in the northern town closest to you (BOI, first Trust doesn't really matter you pick) and ask for an appointment to open an account tell them you are from the ROI and ask what documents you need to bring with you, simple as that :)

BTW my account is with first trust

Advertisement