Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Xx-Steph08-xX

Roxy music in the crescent is gone passed on monday and the shutter was half down and they were clearing stuff out passed today and its completly shut up sign has been taking down and everything

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Roxy music in the crescent is gone passed on monday and the shutter was half down and they were clearing stuff out passed today and its completly shut up sign has been taking down and everything

That's a shame. Was some nice folk working there down the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Roxy were expensive though and never going to compete with HMV or Gamestop out there.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Roxy were expensive though and never going to compete with HMV or Gamestop out there.

True enough. Then again the HMV out there is not exactly cheap either, but I digress. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Kess73 wrote: »
    True enough. Then again the HMV out there is not exactly cheap either, but I digress. :)

I now state that I did not quite know that HMV sold Dictionaries, but I digress Kess, I digress, yes indeed I do digress.

• Advertisement

Raiser wrote: »
    I now state that I did not quite know that HMV sold Dictionaries, but I digress Kess, I digress, yes indeed I do digress.

*Sniff sniff*

Not again Raiser. Go home and get a clean pair. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

*Sniff sniff*

Not again Raiser. Go home and get a clean pair. :p

I heard on local radio that 56 businesses have closed in the city within the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

liammur wrote: »
    I heard on local radio that 56 businesses have closed in the city within the last year.

Yes its on the front of the leader, with a good few photos. Figure doesnt include places closed for longer then 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

phill106 wrote: »
    Yes its on the front of the leader, with a good few photos. Figure doesnt include places closed for longer then 12 months.

I got heavily criticised (not on these boards) a few years ago for warning that this day would come. I simply highlighted the fact that the region was getting no IDA jobs. These are the drivers of a region on which all else depend.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

From limerick live 95.

Clarion suites on ennis road is to close for a month next month, for major review.

Its only a new hotel so wouldn't need refurbishing.

No idea what that means.

• Advertisement

From limerick live 95.

Clarion suites on ennis road is to close for a month next month, for major review.

No idea what that means.

Trying to bring down overheads by closing for the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

From limerick live 95.

No idea what that means.
    Clarion suites can be easily converted to apartments,in fact they were probably built with that in mind.

Trying to bring down overheads by closing for the month.

Most likely. If both hotels have low occupancy, very little point in having both manned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

The reason they had to shut was the crescent tried to up the rent, Anyway they are opening up in town as another bargain store but should be same staff same owners etc

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭unichick

O'Mahonys has halfed in size in Castletroy! What a joke! Due to rent!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Yellow Road take away in Edward street is gone. Shame there has been a chipper on that sight for as long as i can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I suspect a major factor in businesses closing down is high rents. Landlord's are still insisting on high rents eventhough the economy is faltering.
    I know many people who were considering opening small shops but the rents are huge.
    By the time the landlord's drop rents it may be too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭d1980

there are some many units in town that are currently yielding €0 in rent. Surely it is time that some landlords take a punt on a tenant and charge rent based on a percentage of their revenue. i know hard to track but surely it makes more sense to have a unit occupied than rotting away

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

the centerpiece restaurant in the crescent is to close due to rent being increased

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

sonyair wrote: »
    the centerpiece restaurant in the crescent is to close due to rent being increased

How can they increase rent? Dont they know we are in a recession?!?

Hope another food place gets in there! Supermacs maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Jesus that has been there since the crescent first opened or at least as far back as i can remember. May have had different owners or name but definitely there a long time. I remember a friend of mine working in the crescent told me about two years ago that the rent doubled all of a sudden. To add even more rent now is disgraceful.

Landlord rents and council rates are the main cause for places closing in the city centre. The rates and rent have continued to rise even though the amount of people shopping has fallen. Add into that the water meters that where put on business in the city and your talking even more charges. A lot of places the landlords leave it up to the people renting to keep the buildings in top shape. They basically take the rent and don't want to hear about the place after that. So once again the person renting has even more costs.

Yeah it used to be called Katy's wasnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Is that the one opposite the entrance to Shaws?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Is that the one opposite the entrance to Shaws?

No it's the big one across from Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Mc Love wrote: »

Hope another food place gets in there! Supermacs maybe?

The Crescent SC is infamous for extortionate rent increases every 6 weeks.

How this affects you is because either the Shops must close down or else factor it into everything single item you buy there.

- The rule of thumb is if you visit the Crescent you need to bring a packed lunch, a bottle of water and leave your wallet at home :p

Tesco and Shaws own their units!

Tesco and Shaws own their units!

I bet they are delighted, depending on how much they paid for them.

phill106 wrote: »
    I bet they are delighted, depending on how much they paid for them.

And the fact is the unit beside shaws (formerly JR's) Shaws owned that and sold it to the crescent - bet they hadnt now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Unfortunately they can afford to increase rent. As soon as a unit closes there, its snapped up quickly. The city centrewould love half the people that the crescent gets. The only thing its missing is a few pubs

Used love to pop down for breakfast when doing OT on sat\sun in dell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

dunno about that, there are a lot or empty units in the crescent at the moment, some empty a few months

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement