Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

zuroph wrote: »
    hmm.. cuckoo box seems a waste to close down, what with a new pub opening around the corner from there. I'd say I could make a go of the place! any idea how much a lease would be?

I don't know why but its been dead in there for years. Even when it was McDaids it would be empty when Nancys, Old Quarter, Smyths would be packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Mc Love wrote: »
    Subway's closed? Cant believe it as that was doing some serious business! Apparently it was owned by same people behind Limerick Independent though.

Also cant believe Yankee candle is closing

Word on the street was that Subway was bought by chinese people/consortium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

hmm.. cuckoo box seems a waste to close down, what with a new pub opening around the corner from there. I'd say I could make a go of the place! any idea how much a lease would be?

I dunno, that pub is too dark and too badly laid out for it to be a real success, imo. Would need extensive remodelling or finding a way to use it's lay-out more effectively, imo.

On the otherhand, Limerick needs a bierhaus or a rock pub, so if you're planning one of those, can't fail!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I dunno, that pub is too dark and too badly laid out for it to be a real success, imo. Would need extensive remodelling or finding a way to use it's lay-out more effectively, imo.

On the otherhand, Limerick needs a bierhaus or a rock pub, so if you're planning one of those, can't fail!

get out of my head. and shhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I don't know why but its been dead in there for years. Even when it was McDaids it would be empty when Nancys, Old Quarter, Smyths would be packed.

marketing was all wrong.

• Advertisement

After the Man stole your Milkshake bar idea, I hope you're more successful (treated fairly) with your next project.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Mc Love wrote: »
    Also cant believe Yankee candle is closing

Candles.

In Jars.

+ A tonne of noxious perfume.

- Can't understand this one at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Raiser wrote: »
    Candles.

In Jars.

+ A tonne of noxious perfume.

- Can't understand this one at all.

Ah no.... i love Yankee Candles.... although I can't see the sense in paying the prices they charge for a candle!

The reason Westward Ho is closing as far as I know, is down to the rent, there was a claus so he couldnt negoiate the price. He worked very hard to get it off the ground. Its a terrible thing to see happen.

Lads this thread is so depressing to read .... is it just getting worse so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

The reason Westward Ho is closing as far as I know, is down to the rent, there was a claus so he couldn't negotiate the price.

Santa closes Pub?

Bad%20Santa-300.JPG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Rock pub yeah?:)

My brother works in the bar trade,he reckons they would be looking at 2 grand a week and thats down to location not books he reckons.Might get them down
    He said they paid 80 grand key money so not shur but that mean ud sub lease or what,a good few people are looking at from what he heard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Nasirs in mayorstone looks closed. Small little shop grocery store, guys were dead on and used get in mountain dew and cherry coke for me. It's a pity. Seems like only a few years ago there was 3-4 shops around the shelbourne road\mayorstone area. 1 can't even function now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Ireland inc. taken over by foreign financiers.
    Not closed as such but .......

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I suggest we sell ourselves to the highest bidder, someplace nice and hot, move Ireland over and anchor ourselves next to them.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Topaz across from Woodies, next to Supermacs has closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Topaz across from Woodies, next to Supermacs has closed.

Seems to be open some times. Topaz have definitely pulled out but there is a small sign up saying Diesel for sale.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Seems to be open some times. Topaz have definitely pulled out but there is a small sign up saying Diesel for sale.

It's closing fully afaik, business being transferred to the Topaz beyond Ivans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Ah feck i remember when it was the jet and xtra vision and it were open 24 hours walked down there many a sleepless nights at 2 or 3 and picked up a video and some munchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Was out in Tesco Coonagh recently and there was signs in the car park saying their Petrol Station was coming soon.
    That could be the reason too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Was out in Tesco Coonagh recently and there was signs in the car park saying their Petrol Station was coming soon.
    That could be the reason too.

TBH, I live in Caherdavin but Tesco's petrol would have to be a lot cheaper to entice me out there. TOPAZ was my usual place for refuelling.
    I'm sorry to see it gone. Walked past there this evening and it looked sort of eerie with the lights out and tape draped across the foresourt entrances.

Like a crime-scene.

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Has anyone else heard anything bout a cinema being built/opened somewhere on the Ennis Road either by Woodies or by Tescos or is that just another rumour??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

kiersm wrote: »
    Has anyone else heard anything bout a cinema being built/opened somewhere on the Ennis Road either by Woodies or by Tescos or is that just another rumour??

If i remember correctly, developer in woodies complex wanted planning permission for cinema, city council said no.

Then this year city council changed their mind and gave planning permission but developer said its too late, recession or something like that.

Was all covered by the limerick post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Foleys pub has clsoed but think its re opening in a different pub?

bigpink wrote: »
    Foleys pub has clsoed but think its re opening in a different pub?

In where Riddlers used to be, sign up over door today. Riddlers was closed because it was a fire hazard, AFAIK, so I'm unsure what happened there

Also I think Tesco give a discounted petrol price if you do shopping there, so I'll be using it

Thought it was more a case of the one at Jetland got permission but the one that was granted out at Tesco put in an objection to it. No more about it been in the papers since.

Never went to Topaz myself as they where usually one of the dearer petrol stations this side of Limerick. I even live less than a minute from it and never use it. Looks awful alright. Hopefully something else goes in there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

In where Riddlers used to be, sign up over door today. Riddlers was closed because it was a fire hazard, AFAIK, so I'm unsure what happened there

Also I think Tesco give a discounted petrol price if you do shopping there, so I'll be using it
    Riddlers old tenants moved up to Thomas street.

sioda wrote: »
    Riddlers old tenants moved up to Thomas street.

They did, but I heard there was an issue with the old building. Maybe not. -shrugs-

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Well if Foleys do move in there - I hope they make it a success like it was 10 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

I thought Foley's was a nice pub and hopefully will do well in the better location that is Sarsfield Street, if they do it up well. The last couple tennants have damaged its image a bit.

Match day crowds should be a big bonus to the new owners.

Passed it there an hour ago. Foleys is definitely in there. Didn't even know it was gone from where it was.

Would be nice if it was a good pub alright but riddlers in all it's guises has struggled for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Great to see Riddlers open again is it called foleys ??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement