Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

sioda wrote: »
    Great to see Riddlers open again is it called foleys ??

Definitely- saw the sign today over the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

kiersm wrote: »
    Has anyone else heard anything bout a cinema being built/opened somewhere on the Ennis Road either by Woodies or by Tescos or is that just another rumour??

Its going to beside the new marks and spencers:p

Nevermind the cinema where the hell is my KFC, sick of having to go across town for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

OMG a marks & spencers I wish!!! Wud love if they would open up here, hate having to go to Cork to shop there not that I get to go very often anymore. :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

kiersm wrote: »
    OMG a marks & spencers I wish!!! Wud love if they would open up here, hate having to go to Cork to shop there not that I get to go very often anymore. :rolleyes:.

Will be a few years before there is even a chance of a M&S in Limerick as I am pretty sure they announced that the store in Kerry next year would be the last new store in Ireland for two years from that opening.

So if that is true, then people from Limerick wanting to go to M&S will have to go to Cork, Galway, Clonmel, or Killarney to get their fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Marks and Sparks opened last week in Douglas Shopping Centre in Cork. Not a big one by any means but from my sources, in Marks and Spencers in London, she tells me that it was apparently the store due for Limerick but they scaled back the one in Cork because they already had an M&S.

We won't see one for a while yet I guess. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭manna452121

The cinema is due to be built next to Smyths Toys in the 3 empty units.They got permission during the summer but so far nothing happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Wud love a cinema on the Ennis Rd cos if you live on this side of town it'll be nice to have another cinema to choose from. I luv to go into M&S generally when i'm in Cork but unfort you can spend way too much money in there way too easily

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Back to the original topic, I heard on 95FM this morning that McGovern's menswear on Wm. St. is closing in the near future.

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

tippman1 wrote: »
    Back to the original topic, I heard on 95FM this morning that McGovern's menswear on Wm. St. is closing in the near future.

J.

Yep, there was a write up on the Post about that today. It's sad when it's a family business that's been around for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    Yep, there was a write up on the Post about that today. It's sad when it's a family business that's been around for years.

Aren't they running the Jack and Jones Outlets everywhere though?

- Plus the new shop across from the Bookshop in the Crescent.

• Advertisement

tippman1 wrote: »

J.
    Cherrycoke wrote: »

Passed it the other day. Big signs in the window. Although I didn't shop in there Im sure generations did so Its a shame. They should have spruced(sp) themselves up like Noels on Wickham Street. They went all 21st Century one day and all the better for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

sioda wrote: »
    Great to see Riddlers open again is it called foleys ??

Yep it is had an drink there early in the night with my dad

4.40 for a pint of Guinness for a place trying to get a older and music crowd

My dad says it was going well in the last spot but how the music crowd goes there when the owners have zero interest in music

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Pointless posts removed. Aidric, for future reference, smiley faces do not count as a valuable contribution to a thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Quilty's Pub and Off-Licence in Thomondgate closed. Went into liquidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

RonMexico wrote: »
    Quilty's Pub and Off-Licence in Thomondgate closed. Went into liquidation.

jesus i am shocked at that although its been up for sale for a while

kilburn wrote: »
    jesus i am shocked at that although its been up for sale for a while

As is most of Limerick.

The issue with Quiltys and Dave himself is that there was such a select crowd and Dave needed to keep it that way. Towards "the end" you would have to knock on the front door to get in. I hated drinking there because there was always one "head" who would seek you out and make your evening a misery.

I asked some locals "where are you going to drink now"? Bill Bourkes was the resounding answer.

Dave is better off with the doors closed. It was costing him to keep them open.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,322 ✭✭✭✭phog

If he was making any profit at all from the off licence then it should have ben a goldmine, there always seemed to be a crowd there, even double parked outside. On match days and you couldnt swing a cat so he seemded to have a lot more going for it then other pubs around.

Mike Dolan owns Quilty's. Dave is just a barman. Nothing to do with him. The place was deserted during week days, bit busier at weekends. The off-licence was poor and took a hit from Fine Wines up the road.

On a seperate note - the chipper across the road has also closed. It is now a kebab place run by someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

On a seperate note - the chipper across the road has also closed. It is now a kebab place run by someone else.

PJ's?

• Advertisement

PJ's?

Yeah. Hit by the place that opened next to Fine Wines.

Yeah. Hit by the place that opened next to Fine Wines.

This news make me sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭kojack

A few reasons why Quiltys closed is that the rates for the place was nearly 20k a year, the off license was busy and kept the bar and the other off license on the old cratloe road going as neither were really that busy, although the pub did have a bit of a breakfast club the lounge was deserted week days. Also there were loans outstanding for the restaurant and due to banks not giving credit the only option left was to cease trading.

sad very sad, so many pubs on the northside gone

Berty wrote: »
    The issue with Quiltys and Dave himself is that there was such a select crowd and Dave needed to keep it that way. Towards "the end" you would have to knock on the front door to get in. I hated drinking there because there was always one "head" who would seek you out and make your evening a misery.

I asked some locals "where are you going to drink now"? Bill Bourkes was the resounding answer.

Dave is better off with the doors closed. It was costing him to keep them open.

Was he renting it or was it owned outright?
    Surely it was making some money every week
    It must have gotten very rough if he lost all his good customers

Is there a market there for a pub?

there is definitely a market for a good pub out there. Im not a big fan of the ardhu and with the davin, hassets and quiltys gone and with the college and thomond park there big time pub potential

kilburn wrote: »
    there is definitely a market for a good pub out there. Im not a big fan of the ardhu and with the davin, hassets and quiltys gone and with the college and thomond park there big time pub potential

What pub are left there?The Ardhu is getting a very odd crowd alot of scobes mixed in with a normal decent crowd

Topaz across from Woodies, next to Supermacs has closed.

Opening back up under a different name,seen it being kitted out there today

bigpink wrote: »
    Was he renting it or was it owned outright?
    Surely it was making some money every week
    It must have gotten very rough if he lost all his good customers

Is there a market there for a pub?

As I said before, the pub is owned by Mike Dolan. Dave just works behind the bar. There was also a ridiculous story doing the rounds that the O'Mara's owned the place.

People have no idea of the overheads involved in running a business in this city. When you factor in rates and mortgages and wages they are massive. I guarantee you that there will be a lot more businesses in Limerick going to the wall after Christmas.

• Advertisement

Suppose guess enough people were not drinking there anymore
    Is that the same guy was Dolans?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement