Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Roadend wrote: »
    Funny that, I know the owner well and he has not said anything to me about it closing.

Its not closing - its closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

The whole golf course is closing down? Are you sure

Just checked their website there and its booking page isn't working so thats not good. Often used their driving range to practice (and boy did I need it!).

Really would be a terrible shame, I think they lost their Golfing Union of Ireland membership last year, which again wasnt a good sign.

You know things are really getting bad when one of the countys best golf courses goes kaput.

Edit: Hmm, just checked again and theres a different link on website that IS taking bookings

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

mitresize5 wrote: »
    Its not closing - its closed

My apologies, just spoke to him and you are indeed correct

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Just curious any idea why they went with a pizza place?, have'nt gone there as much as i used to. Gutted to see it shut, lived off the food in college and used meet a mate in there every saturday for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Had to try something new to get in more business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I think its probably a combination of things, recession, glut of take aways in town and the fact people are a bit more health concious these days.

Its a real pity as it was uniquely Limerick and the O'Farrell family are a very decent bunch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Ah no...loved that place.

That and the o'connell grill will be missed bigtime. Town isn't what it was 3-4 years ago, feck i remember if you went near either place between 12 and 2 there was no chance of getting a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

I wondered what was up with New York Pizza alright as their booking page on Just Eat was closed the other night. Saw the staff in there though yesterday. No sure what they were doing if it is closed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ah feck. That was my favourite place for pizza! Used to love going in there and throwing a load of money in the juke-box while eating pizza with the lads. I'm sad now. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Bummer that the Lobster Pot is closed. Some good memories of there after many's the good night out....
    It used to have a lethal reputation in the 80s/early 90s when it was Friar Tucks. There was always stuff kicking off around there....
    Always got a good post beer feed in there though....
    I was in town this morning and realised it's my first time in town during the day for ages, as in I don't have to really go in there for anything anymore if I don't want to...

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Lobster pot + friar tucks next door, great memories + food, place used to be mad busy during 80's 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Gutted - no more garlic chip + cheese...

seachto7 wrote: »
    I was in town this morning and realised it's my first time in town during the day for ages, as in I don't have to really go in there for anything anymore if I don't want to...

Yeah same here was in town on xmas eve morning and i'd ay it was my first time in there in at least 3 months. There's nothing really essential in town anymore in fact there's less in town, more can be gotten out childers road, the crescent etc without the hassle of parking. Definately has a knock-on effect, would stop off at the pot most times after visiting HMV or picking up something in town.

BTW were the pizza's any good? could never bring myself around to buying one there, it was alwaysa curry chip 2 battered sausages while my mate was next door ordering in apache. First time i went in to NYC pizza, looked at the menu while there a queue in front of me and decided on pizza next door but sausy and chips from here, went next door 10 mins later and the guys in the queue in the pot were in the queue in apache.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

BTW were the pizza's any good?

I always rated them, anyway.

Limerick_Dude might back me up on that, if he sees this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Remember the days of HAVING to go into town to get stuff.
    I remember cycling into town and leaving the bike down in the garage by Bedford Row. It cost 20p to leave the bike there...
    I HAD to go into Easons to get a rock mag or a tape. I HAD to go into town to ogle at Nike trainers, or football jerseys I could never afford. I HAD to go into town if I needed to get clothes. I HAD to go into town for good chips :)
    Though it's great now that I don't HAVE to go into town to do any of those things if I don't want to....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I always rated them, anyway.

Limerick_Dude might back me up on that, if he sees this thread.

Sickened Lobster Pot / NYC Pizza is gone.

Myself, Insect Overlord and a few others have frequented that place quite often for a few years now.

In fairness whenever I was in there there would only ever be 1 or 2 other customers in there, if any!

No more all day special + portion of chips + 2euro in the jukebox.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

:( Unique battered sausages no more :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Very sad a Limerick institution gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Only thing worth going into town for is haircut! But saying that you could if you wanted to, get it cut anywhere outside the city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

only reason I got to town now is the very odd time I need to go to my bank, unfortunately for the city, everything else is now avail at out of town centres. Between making it hard for drivers to get to town and the ongoing road/path works, the city is very unattractive. They are trying to pedestrianise a city that neither needs nor requires it. We simply don't have the population to keep a large area pedestranised. Without cars coming into or through the city its becoming more and more like ghost town. Pedestrianisation is not the great way forward (imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

only reason I got to town now is the very odd time I need to go to my bank, unfortunately for the city, everything else is now avail at out of town centres. Between making it hard for drivers to get to town and the ongoing road/path works, the city is very unattractive. They are trying to pedestrianise a city that neither needs nor requires it. We simply don't have the population to keep a large area pedestranised. Without cars coming into or through the city its becoming more and more like ghost town. Pedestrianisation is not the great way forward (imo)

Well in fairness, a lot of the works that are being done in the city centre are for future generations. Like you said with the population not large enough for a pedestrianised city centre, one can only presume that the population of Limerick and the region will increase in the decades to come, so at least the council are planning for the future for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

while agreeing that the works being carried out will benefit us for the future, I really feel that money spent on prettying up what we already have and trying hard to maintain the few shoppers we have who wish to come into the city would be a better use of money. The main Ennis Road surface is full of craters. The rubbish city wide is appaling - and I don't care how many times they council say the streets are swept each day, I constantly see the rubbish on the street which has been there since the day before. The weeds growing out of buildings at both street level and rooftops, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

while agreeing that the works being carried out will benefit us for the future, I really feel that money spent on prettying up what we already have and trying hard to maintain the few shoppers we have who wish to come into the city would be a better use of money. The main Ennis Road surface is full of craters. The rubbish city wide is appaling - and I don't care how many times they council say the streets are swept each day, I constantly see the rubbish on the street which has been there since the day before. The weeds growing out of buildings at both street level and rooftops, etc etc.

That's exactly what pedestrianising, redevlopment of streets like Bedford Row etc is designed to do :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!!! Not the lobster pot!!!! Best battered sausages in the city.

foinse wrote: »
    NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!!! Not the lobster pot!!!! Best battered sausages in the city.

best battered sausages in the city - never knew this :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

Hopefully this will be one place that will be saved from closing as it would be a big loss to the city.
    The city were meant to invest in this pool when Roxboro pool closed down but I dont think they did

Threat of closure abates
    IN a dramatic development this Wednesday, the Limerick Post was informed that St Enda’s Sports Complex, faced with the axe, is about to be saved.
    The strong and active membership from both city and county had voiced their shock that the future of the facility was under serious threat.
    At a meeting of Limerick City Council on Monday, it was revealed the facility had failed to meet the requirements of a Health and Safety Report.
    Tony O’Gorman, chairman of St Enda’s Sports Complex and St Enda’s School, reported that under legislation, they had no option but to close as they were unable to obtain funding for its refurbishment and therefore, could not insure the building.
    In a dramatic twist, Mr O’Gorman has now confirmed to this newspaper that behind-the-scenes talks resulted in a change of fortune that will save the complex for the immediate future, at least.
    “There was a lot of upset among staff and our membership after our problem surfaced. St Enda’s provides an excellent service to the people, both locally and from outside.
    “We have agreed a survival plan with the Department of Education to keep the complex open and as chair of the board, I am very confident for the future. Details of the plan will be revealed on Monday”.
    Councillors had already been alerted to what was described as an almost certain closure of the complex, by Cllr Ger Fahy.
    He revealed at a council meeting that the centre had been struggling to stay afloat.
    He had also expressed concerns about St Enda’s School, as with a vacant adjoining sports complex, there would be fears regarding anti-social behaviour arising in the area.
    City Council provides €65,000 annually towards St Enda’s Sports Complex.
    Cllr Joe Leddin told Monday’s meeting that without this financial support, St Enda’s would not be able to continue, and if closure was the only answer, it would have been a major loss to Limerick.

There should really be another public pool

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

I dont know why they knocked Roxboro in the first place. So many people say UL can be too busy so why not have options. The more competition the better!!
    What are the numbers like in St. Enda school? Would they not use the pool a lot? I have only been there a few times as I live near UL, so I dont know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

I tried to book the Tennis courts there a few months ago and was told that the courts were closed, were not in use anymore, and couldn't be booked.

At the time there were people playing on one of the courts and the net was up and in place..

This was after having to go over to the complex and ask directly as a week of trying to get through on the phone had not resulted in getting an answer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement